photo f2fc6645-3553-483b-b64e-4c19058f6c05_zps121db233.jpg  photo 7B537578-F7C7-4F86-98B8-9F94E0644C33_zpsqirpypxs.jpg  photo jdberry_zpsea01d711.jpg  photo grizzlybroadheads_zps1m2s5rho.jpg  photo banner-kking-160-170_zps48e9d6a9.jpg  photo HolmMadeNewAd_09092014_zpsc4e4691d.jpg  photo truenortharrows_zpsi9ay4gwc.gif  photo 35A0AFC6-0F9E-412C-A64B-EBE54AF0479D_zpsmipyof8e.jpg  photo EEE5CA06-2368-4F2F-A920-0CA562579FE0_zpsm9lvvu1t.jpg  photo northernmist20bcard1_zpssaxw3n46.jpg  photo 072BD871-7553-4294-BBDD-E69370AD1F6A_zpsjismq5n7.jpg                                     photo AFF3B4E3-F518-4092-A4E6-65AE830AB2BE_zpsnuwaaten.jpg  photo f5d37de7-de84-47ad-b248-e8adfe84c5db_zps4oisluth.gif  photo 02c77249-7155-4785-a743-8faf8c694e7a_zpseaj9xlnz.jpg  photo B5D4E580-5A4C-4A25-AC73-D69CDBE82A69_zpsvvtli29v.jpg  photo Dave_shooting_bow_logo202_zpsuskt81vw.jpg  photo image_zps2rrhsrju.jpeg  photo sunsethill_zps551c0207.jpg  photo db77abad-c90f-4ee5-9e34-905fe0c0fd36_zpsleoiybdo.png  photo bigjim_zps76882839.jpg  photo howardhill_large_zps5fd2fcc7.jpg  photo IMG_5966_zpsgrbhwrgb.jpeg  photo Bearpaw_Products_Logo1_zps55d85f33.jpg  photo tradtech_zps697b00c1.jpg  photo a3c08d6f-f669-46b5-8b0c-1480a411cc78_zpsc853b3a6.gif  photo fairbow_zpsc278ec39.jpg  photo F5A4B354-1040-4D43-939F-28ED48F7E5B7_zpsws5ptsc8.jpg  photo coyote track 1_zpshipxn54s.png  photo DF07A98B-41BB-4024-BCF7-A4FCB543D40E_zpsoiduf1m2.png  photo the20footed20shaft_zpsudbyv3ab.jpg  photo blackeaglefinal_zpsfqgqqrcj.png  photo 94936CDE-4CF5-4181-B2F9-FECCA1FE886F_zpsy5nfpirv.jpg photo D49F4739-A11D-4F9D-9D50-4C3EE95E9555_zpswoqwk23o.jpg  photo BF4712C7-9EE6-460F-8380-4E7F08A65416_zpsmluzlgny.jpg  photo bivoucascreenshot_zpscfdgf0n0.jpg  photo 510CA748-680D-4178-8B50-1A4C7F7F895D_zps6b5pjjoc.gif
Sparkitoff
Today I decided to shoot over the chronograph.  I shot from 3.5 feet behind the chronograph.

Bow 1 - Longbow w/ slight R/D 45# @DL. Arrow 462.5 grains. = 152 FPS average

Bow 2 - Selfbow, hickory w/ BB backing 41#@ DL. Arrow 416 grains. = 125 FPS average

I see information on-line but most is lacking the arrow weight.  Just based on what I found I guess one bow is about average efficiency and one is slightly inefficient. 

Thoughts....
Quote 0
Tom M
I wouldn’t have expected any different findings unless the “modern” bow was made incorrectly. As for arrow grains I always look for the results when the arrows are 10gpp of actual draw weight. This was considered a standard some years back. 
Charter Member Traditional Archery Society

Sun City, Az. by way of San Diego, Ca. Bear TD's Wes Wallace Royal LB, ILF risers and various limbs, Vintage Works 1962 Kodiak reproduction made to my specs

I hunt public land.
Quote 0
chuckc
Not exactly an answer, but rather a statement.   This is why i push for us to not compare archery needs based upon bow weight, but rather on arrow weight and speed.  Two identical bows likely won't deliver identical down range speed,  two that are not even close to identical can be not even close in  performance.

Chronographs are two edged swords.  Yes, they tell us a real usable data point, but often they dissapoint the heck out of us.
ChuckC

I did too !

Madison, Wisconsin.   Public land hunter
Quote 1
Shootalot
I bought a chronograph a couple of months ago and have enjoyed messing with it.  Have I learned anything useful?  No, not really.  Most of my bows will increase about one fps for each pound increase.  I did find that the size and material a string is made of makes quite a difference in speed but I still shoot a heavy B-50 even though it was the slowest.  Hate to change anything that I have used for so long.  Your longbow is about what I would expect but surprised the hickory and bamboo wasn't a little faster with that arrow.
Gordon Jabben
Independence KS
Quote 0
timking
I agree with all of the post so far…to answer your question in the subject title, your greater velocity equals a flatter shooting arrow which ( arguably, depending on your shooting style) gives you less margin of error

Dallas, Texas
62" #55 Fox High Sierra 
62" #58 Black Widow MA
64" #56 A&H ACS 
Widowmaker 350 Carbon shafts
200 gr. Iron Will 4 blade

Quote 0
Steve Graf
Your draw length is important to consider as well.  If two people shoot a 41# bow at their draw length and one person's bow shoots an arrow 10 fps faster than the other, it is likely because one of their draw lengths is longer.  The standard draw length is 28 inches, but most people don't pull that length exactly.

The energy stored in a bow is a function of draw weight and draw length.  The energy stored in an arrow is a function of arrow weight and arrow speed.  The efficiency of a bow can be expressed as a ratio of the arrow's kinetic energy divided by the bow's stored energy.  This number is always less than 1.

Until we know your draw length, those arrow speeds don't really mean much.  And as Chuck said, for most people the information can be a disappointment.  It is my opinion that the disappointment we feel is our fault, not the bow's.
Quote 0
Green
I suppose what a Chronograph would tell the average traditional archer is how consistent his draw length and shot sequence actually is.  

ASL and Wood Arrow Addict
Central Texas

Quote 0
Sparkitoff
Thanks for the replies so far. 
There were two mentions of "disappointment".  I'm not disappointed at all. I've read a little about arrow velocity and found two interesting statements. One is that the velocity should be 100 FPS plus the DW with a 10 gpp arrow if the bow is of average efficiency. Another is actually an advertisement that says "our bows are so efficient that we guarantee 115 FPS plus the DW". That statement doesn't mention the arrow weight that achieves that. When you read more you can figure out this is with a Fast Flight string.
I had those two statements in mind as a baseline. My 45# bow is above either of these parameters with a "standard" string and somewhat heavier arrow. The selfbow at 41# has a standard string and slightly heavier arrow and is slightly below those parameters.
I don't know the manufacturers suggested brace height for the longbow. It was a one-year run model and the manufacturer has not responded to email or answered the phone since the last week of February. I have it set where I think it should be. The selfbow tend to be best wtih a brace height of 5 1/4 - 6 1/2 inches. I have it at 6 inch even. I am guessing that a change in brace height would change the velocity slightly. 
Both of these bows DW is at 28". If my form is excellent with summer clothing I am right at 28". If my form is off I usually end up slightly shorter on DL, but rarely might draw a wee bit more than 28". When I shot through the chronograph both bows showed arrow velocities within 2 FPS of one another and several duplicates, so I think for this experiment I was consistent in form.
I have a few hunts planned and intend to use the longbow for most. I practice at 20-yards and may limit myself right there. On the list are whitetail deer and hogs. I will likely use it for a black bear hunt. I also am waiting on a bighorn sheep permit. 45# at my DL with these arrows is accurate and consistent at 20-yards. I have no idea if the arrow velocity is where it should be for these tasks. The selfbow is used at only 15-yards. I am comfortable with the trajectory at that range. I have shot it at 20-yards but feel more confident at 15. I would like to use it for deer hunting and keep the shots to 15-yards. A hog may show up but I usually wont shoot one while deer hunting. I think this bow will be okay for deer at the 15-yard limit I am sticking with. 
Still not sure what the velocity told me. I am starting to see that with close or same readings it does show I was consistent and so was the bow and the arrow. 
Thanks for the feedback and I surely welcome more thoughts!
Quote 0
steelflight
Chronographs are good for drawing forc ed draw curves. Which tells how efficient your bow is. You can go totally Einstein on this. You really can. I do on occasion.  But in the end if your hitting the target. Your good.
You may think before you act the question is do you listen to your own counsel.
Quote 0
Canoeman
Judging from the original post, I would say the chrono is telling him that he has either a very short draw or a very fluffy disintegrating release, that is, if the chronograph is telling him the truth.
Quote 0
longcruise
wrote:
Judging from the original post, I would say the chrono is telling him that he has either a very short draw or a very fluffy disintegrating release, that is, if the chronograph is telling him the truth.

Why do you think that??
Longcruise
Colorado PUBLIC LAND HUNTER
Quote 0
Sam
I am neither scientifically knowledgeable nor scientifically interested, so arrow velocity tells me how fast my arrow is moving, nothing more. All of my hunting bows are 50# draw or better, so any arrow that tunes well is plenty potent enough for my hunting. A lot of guys really try to quantify bow efficiency, which is interesting to know, but the only efficiency I care about is if I make a good shot that the deer falls down.
Sam McMichael

Gray, GA

"The spirit of the bow dwells in the heart of all young men" - Geronimo

Hill Wesley Special (2, both 65#)
Hill Cheetah (2, one 55# and one 40#)
Hill Big 5 (50#)
NM Shelton (2, both 53#)
Deathwish Longbow (59#)
Archery Traditions Bamboo Longhunter (3, one 56#, one 60# and one 78#)

Quote 0
Draven
If someone is doing his own speed tests at one point will be able to have an opinion regarding what the bow design will give him and can guesstimate the point on of a bow for his own style of shooting - this includes what Tim said about arrow trajectory. If someone switches the string materials on the testing bow and is redoing the test he will have an idea of how much the string material is part of the speed equation. 
In my opinion these numbers are for "personal use only", their value for someone else is more anecdotal than anything else.
"Practice not until you get it right, practice until you can't get it wrong." - Unknown
Quote 0