photo f2fc6645-3553-483b-b64e-4c19058f6c05_zps121db233.jpg  photo 7B537578-F7C7-4F86-98B8-9F94E0644C33_zpsqirpypxs.jpg  photo jdberry_zpsea01d711.jpg  photo grizzlybroadheads_zps1m2s5rho.jpg  photo banner-kking-160-170_zps48e9d6a9.jpg  photo HolmMadeNewAd_09092014_zpsc4e4691d.jpg  photo truenortharrows_zpsi9ay4gwc.gif  photo 35A0AFC6-0F9E-412C-A64B-EBE54AF0479D_zpsmipyof8e.jpg  photo EEE5CA06-2368-4F2F-A920-0CA562579FE0_zpsm9lvvu1t.jpg  photo northernmist20bcard1_zpssaxw3n46.jpg  photo 072BD871-7553-4294-BBDD-E69370AD1F6A_zpsjismq5n7.jpg                                     photo AFF3B4E3-F518-4092-A4E6-65AE830AB2BE_zpsnuwaaten.jpg  photo f5d37de7-de84-47ad-b248-e8adfe84c5db_zps4oisluth.gif  photo 02c77249-7155-4785-a743-8faf8c694e7a_zpseaj9xlnz.jpg  photo B5D4E580-5A4C-4A25-AC73-D69CDBE82A69_zpsvvtli29v.jpg  photo Dave_shooting_bow_logo202_zpsuskt81vw.jpg  photo image_zps2rrhsrju.jpeg  photo sunsethill_zps551c0207.jpg  photo db77abad-c90f-4ee5-9e34-905fe0c0fd36_zpsleoiybdo.png  photo bigjim_zps76882839.jpg  photo howardhill_large_zps5fd2fcc7.jpg  photo IMG_5966_zpsgrbhwrgb.jpeg  photo Bearpaw_Products_Logo1_zps55d85f33.jpg  photo tradtech_zps697b00c1.jpg  photo a3c08d6f-f669-46b5-8b0c-1480a411cc78_zpsc853b3a6.gif  photo fairbow_zpsc278ec39.jpg  photo F5A4B354-1040-4D43-939F-28ED48F7E5B7_zpsws5ptsc8.jpg  photo coyote track 1_zpshipxn54s.png  photo DF07A98B-41BB-4024-BCF7-A4FCB543D40E_zpsoiduf1m2.png  photo the20footed20shaft_zpsudbyv3ab.jpg  photo blackeaglefinal_zpsfqgqqrcj.png  photo 94936CDE-4CF5-4181-B2F9-FECCA1FE886F_zpsy5nfpirv.jpg photo D49F4739-A11D-4F9D-9D50-4C3EE95E9555_zpswoqwk23o.jpg  photo BF4712C7-9EE6-460F-8380-4E7F08A65416_zpsmluzlgny.jpg  photo bivoucascreenshot_zpscfdgf0n0.jpg  photo 510CA748-680D-4178-8B50-1A4C7F7F895D_zps6b5pjjoc.gif
Traditional Archers | Bowhunters

Author   Comment  
chuckc

Reply with quote  #1 
How about share your thoughts..

Add in....where should i aim ?

String tracker ?

Charter Member Traditional Archery Society

I did too !

Madison, Wisconsin.   Public land hunter
longcruise

Club Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Well, i have never loosed an arrow at a Turkey but when I sally forth the arrows and broadheads are the same ones carried the previous big game season.   My reason is because that's what I'm set up and practiced for so just stick with it. 

If I ever get a shot it's going to be aimed at the heart and lungs. 

Reply with quote  #3 
I tend to always go back to Simmons Tiger Sharks, I’ve taken a few turkey with them and none have gone out of sight. As far as aiming I look to hit at the base of the wing if they’re broadside or basically the beard if they’re facing me.
Bisch

Reply with quote  #4 
I just use the same ones I use for everything else. Although I have been intrigued by the Dirt Nap Gear Shred Head, I have not tried them out yet.

As far as where to aim, I’m at a loss, even after having killed a bunch with a bow. The vital area is bigger than a golf ball, but smaller than a tennis ball. I’ve read that if you can take their legs out, they won’t be able to fly???? I’ve hit a few with what I thought were perfect shots, and not recovered them. I’ve also hit a few that I thought I’d never see again that didn’t make it out of sight!!!!!

Bisch

Primal Tech longbow 50#@29”
Primal Tech recurve 50#@29”
Sarrels Blueridge longbow 50#@29”
Sarrels Bobcatt TD recurve 50#@29.5"
Rob Green selfbow 47#@29”
Lonnie Dye composite 48#@29”

I hail from about 4hrs southwest of Tim King! [biggrin]
Swampwalker

TAS Upgrade Member
Reply with quote  #5 
^^ Bisch x2. They're tougher than deer. That's for sure.
Orion

Reply with quote  #6 
I've killed them with two blade Zwickey Eskimos, 4-blade Zwickey Deltas and 3 blade Woodsmans.  Have been shooting Wodsmans lately, with a 160 grain Snuffer in the quiver as well.  I use a blind with mesh windows and the two-blade heads have sometimes resulted in erratic arrow flight, even causing a miss on one or two occasions.  That's why I've stopped using them.  Problem is, with multi-blade heads, I have nothing to blame my misses on.  

There are a number of pictures on the internet showing where to aim. Head on, right at the top of the beard; facing away, center of the back; broadside, at the base of the wing butt, which is also just a little forward of the top of the leg.  Real close, say inside of 5 yards, a head shot isn't bad either.    
Bisch

Reply with quote  #7 
I’d sure like to kill one with a magnus bullhead one of these days, but I’m kinda scared to try it with my 50# bows!!!!!

Bisch

chuckc

Reply with quote  #8 
There is another similar head, Bisch, called a turkey lopper. I like the looks of it better. I have some and think they would work.

I did too !

Deno

Charter Member
Reply with quote  #9 
turkey lopper.jpg Talkin' turkey:  Anyone heard from Pat lately (centaur) 

Howard Hill Wesley Special 70#
Howard Hill Big 5  65#
Jerry Hill Stalker Deluxe  60#
Jerry Hill Wildcat ll 50#

Northern New Jersey
eddie c

Charter Member
Reply with quote  #10 
I was told to use the biggest 3 blade I could shoot accurate. Reason, vitals are small and the percentage odds for a blade to hit it are better with a 3 blade.
I've only killed 1 with a bow and it was pure luck. Iwas in West TX. I missed my mark and one blade dlit it's throat.
As far as where to aim, I used to have pictures from Michigan DNR (I think it was them) with red dots of where to aim from different angles.

Sam

Reply with quote  #11 
Longcruise sized it up perfectly for me. 

Gray, GA

"The spirit of the bow dwells in the heart of all young men" - Geronimo

Hill Wesley Special (2, both 65#)
Hill Cheetah (2, one 55# and one 40#)
Hill Big 5 (50#)
NM Shelton (2, both 53#)
Deathwish Longbow (59#)
Archery Traditions Bamboo Longhunter (3, one 56#, one 60# and one 78#)

Ben Maher

Charter Member
Reply with quote  #12 
I have killed them with 2 and 3 blades . I think it’s shot placement rather than b’head type . I have only killed maybe a dz and lost a few . Damn they are tough !

But I aim an inch under the base of the neck .... seems to work

Charter Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Maher
But I aim an inch under the base of the neck .... seems to work

I heard a saying " hit'em high, watch'em die, hit'em low, watch'em go". Sounds like you got them figured out.

skookum

Honoree Member
Reply with quote  #14 
I going to try one of them $250 broadheads! [biggrin]

Traditional Archery Society Senior Historian

longcruise

Club Member
Reply with quote  #15 
Eddie, your thoughts on a 3 blade maybe giving better coverage of the vitals has me thinking.   I have bodkins and Hornets soo....  downside is having to tune for them with season only a few days out. 

TAS Upgrade Member
Reply with quote  #16 
Best turkey broadhead?
The one that stays in your quiver!
I hate ‘em!
They are nothing but frustration

Dallas, Texas
62" #55 Fox High Sierra 
62" #58 Black Widow MA
64" #56 A&H ACS 
Widowmaker 350 Carbon shafts
200 gr. Iron Will 4 blade

eddie c

Charter Member
Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by longcruise
Eddie, your thoughts on a 3 blade maybe giving better coverage of the vitals has me thinking.   I have bodkins and Hornets soo....  downside is having to tune for them with season only a few days out. 

I wouldn't change at the last minute if I was having success with your current BH.
Your post reminded me of another piece of advise. A big 2 blade is better than a small 3 blade.

After it's all said and done, if you don't put it where it matters,.........

longcruise

Club Member
Reply with quote  #18 
Ok, you got me back on track.  😉

Associate Member
Reply with quote  #19 
I have killed turkeys with modern and trad bows - the last 2 seasons with modern bows. I started using bullheads with neck shots 2 seasons ago - due to less than satisfactory results on body shots on a few birds - and have shot and killed 3 gobblers with the bullheads. They dropped like a rock and hardly moved.

This season I am back to shooting trad as my shoulders are getting back to normal due to time away from the trad bows and lots of exercise...Some folks have expressed a concern with using bullheads with trad equipment as the collar behind the point on a bullhead acts almost like a blunt so a direct hit - or so I have been told - may bounce off due to the lower energy of the trad bows. I was going to use the bullheads anyway as I think they will work fine but found some heads on eBay that I have been playing with. They are prolly a Chinese copy of something but they were cheap so I figured they were worth a try.

What I like about them is they have a trocar tip so if I get a direct hit with the point the trocar tip should penetrate enough to put the bird down. So far I am very pleased with how they have held up in practice. They actually fly better than the bullheads for me. You can also get them in heavier weights of 160 and 200 grain.  I will be using them for turkeys this spring and shooting my recurve. Here's a pic:

Turkeybroadhead.jpg 

sempertodd

Charter Member
Reply with quote  #20 
I have killed turkeys with Ace, Simmons, Zwickey what works for other big game seems to work on the bronze barons.  Do not see any reason to change.

Charter Member
Reply with quote  #21 
I have used various 2 blades with success. If broadside, I aim for center mass. Facing away, aim for the poop chute. If I hit them right, they go down fast. I have never used a string tracker, but they could be very useful on a poor hit. I have made hits in their legs (not on purpose), and that immobilizes them where you can finish the job with a follow up arrow or a wringed neck.
Bisch

Reply with quote  #22 
String trackers work awesome for turkeys!!!!! I won’t go turkey hunting without mine!!!!!

Bisch

chuckc

Reply with quote  #23 
Wednesday starts my week long season. Since 3/4 of the world is not working, this should be interesting. And...it has been spring here, but winter is gonna kick some more. High for the day is forecast at 34 with the low barely in the 20s. Might have to bring a pop up and wood stove for heat. Would putting a scarf and stocking cap on the decoy give me an edge ?

I did too !

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.