photo f2fc6645-3553-483b-b64e-4c19058f6c05_zps121db233.jpg  photo 7B537578-F7C7-4F86-98B8-9F94E0644C33_zpsqirpypxs.jpg  photo jdberry_zpsea01d711.jpg  photo grizzlybroadheads_zps1m2s5rho.jpg  photo banner-kking-160-170_zps48e9d6a9.jpg  photo HolmMadeNewAd_09092014_zpsc4e4691d.jpg  photo truenortharrows_zpsi9ay4gwc.gif  photo 35A0AFC6-0F9E-412C-A64B-EBE54AF0479D_zpsmipyof8e.jpg  photo EEE5CA06-2368-4F2F-A920-0CA562579FE0_zpsm9lvvu1t.jpg  photo northernmist20bcard1_zpssaxw3n46.jpg  photo 072BD871-7553-4294-BBDD-E69370AD1F6A_zpsjismq5n7.jpg                                     photo AFF3B4E3-F518-4092-A4E6-65AE830AB2BE_zpsnuwaaten.jpg  photo f5d37de7-de84-47ad-b248-e8adfe84c5db_zps4oisluth.gif  photo 02c77249-7155-4785-a743-8faf8c694e7a_zpseaj9xlnz.jpg  photo B5D4E580-5A4C-4A25-AC73-D69CDBE82A69_zpsvvtli29v.jpg  photo Dave_shooting_bow_logo202_zpsuskt81vw.jpg  photo image_zps2rrhsrju.jpeg  photo sunsethill_zps551c0207.jpg  photo db77abad-c90f-4ee5-9e34-905fe0c0fd36_zpsleoiybdo.png  photo bigjim_zps76882839.jpg  photo howardhill_large_zps5fd2fcc7.jpg  photo IMG_5966_zpsgrbhwrgb.jpeg  photo Bearpaw_Products_Logo1_zps55d85f33.jpg  photo tradtech_zps697b00c1.jpg  photo a3c08d6f-f669-46b5-8b0c-1480a411cc78_zpsc853b3a6.gif  photo fairbow_zpsc278ec39.jpg  photo F5A4B354-1040-4D43-939F-28ED48F7E5B7_zpsws5ptsc8.jpg  photo coyote track 1_zpshipxn54s.png  photo DF07A98B-41BB-4024-BCF7-A4FCB543D40E_zpsoiduf1m2.png  photo the20footed20shaft_zpsudbyv3ab.jpg  photo blackeaglefinal_zpsfqgqqrcj.png  photo 94936CDE-4CF5-4181-B2F9-FECCA1FE886F_zpsy5nfpirv.jpg photo D49F4739-A11D-4F9D-9D50-4C3EE95E9555_zpswoqwk23o.jpg  photo BF4712C7-9EE6-460F-8380-4E7F08A65416_zpsmluzlgny.jpg  photo bivoucascreenshot_zpscfdgf0n0.jpg  photo 510CA748-680D-4178-8B50-1A4C7F7F895D_zps6b5pjjoc.gif
Traditional Archers | Bowhunters

Author   Comment  
ziplomacy

Reply with quote  #1 
There were several other trees like this. I was wondering what was causing this. There are teeth marks evident in the wood, they seem to be running vertically, but it been a few months since I took these and I'm not sure if they were or not. 
I took these February 1st.
Any idea what did this?
IMG_4796.jpeg  IMG_4797.jpeg  IMG_4795.jpg 

Osage Selfbow #55@28"
NM Baraga #50@28"
Pronghorn Takedown #42@28"
Ben Pearson Cougar #37@28"

Knoxville, TN
1Longbow

Associate Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Maybe a porcupine
Tradslinger

Reply with quote  #3 
nope, beaver. have thinned out a bunch of them over the years. girdle city. hate em. trapped them, shot them with everything. 
"But a man drew his bow without taking special aim and struck the king of Israel through the joints of his armor." 1 Kings 22:34
Selden Slider

Charter Member
Reply with quote  #4 
I watched a dog do the very same thing to a pine tree in the cemetery where I worked.  He went all around the tree.  Weirdest thing I ever saw an animal do.  Frank

Reply with quote  #5 
In the SE, it’s more than likely beavers and I see it a lot in NC/SC.   I’ve seen similar damage from porcupines where we hunt in northern Michigan, but I don’t think they range this far south.

————————————————————
East Tennessee
ziplomacy

Reply with quote  #6 
I was thinking beaver. As far as I know, we don't have porcupines in TN. But hey, we didn't have gators or cougars a few years ago either and now we do!
Osage Selfbow #55@28"
NM Baraga #50@28"

Knoxville, TN
chuckc

Reply with quote  #7 
How high up do they go Zip ?

Charter Member Traditional Archery Society

I did too !

Madison, Wisconsin.   Public land hunter
Tradslinger

Reply with quote  #8 
1st clue is close to water. 2nd is the height of the chew. beavers love bark but also use the trees for their dams. they will girdle every tree around if allowed to. It is what they do. I have had to get rid of beaver for a lot of people over the years. had a guy with a garden up above a river to lose his entire corn crop to them. they cut and dragged every bit of it down to the river. most people get mad at losing so many trees to them as they usually girdle everything. eventually they come back to a tree and chew it down. Beaver have a strong musky smell from their scent glands. Also very good meat to eat for humans or for animals like dogs, cats, big cats, wolves etc. Used to be 2 old men years ago that only ate ground beaver meat, they had plenty of it to eat. Arkansas had a bounty of $10 per tail. One needs to be careful of falling in thru some of their underground dens along river banks, not fun. a porcupine can't do the sheer volume of a beaver or beavers. 
"But a man drew his bow without taking special aim and struck the king of Israel through the joints of his armor." 1 Kings 22:34
ziplomacy

Reply with quote  #9 
It's around 18" maybe a little taller but not much. The ones that are completely girdled are maybe 2'. I didn't see any trees actually chewed into or chewed down in the area, just with the bark gnawed off. If its a beaver it looks like it is new to the area? There were also a few small branches and twigs floating in the water with the bark chewed off. But I've found branches like that wherever I fish, I just figured it was muskrats that did the smaller branches. 
Osage Selfbow #55@28"
NM Baraga #50@28"

Knoxville, TN
chuckc

Reply with quote  #10 
Are there any visible entrys ( slides) going into the water ? Sounds like a mystery....need clues. I think ( not sure) muskrats eat grass and tubers, not gnaw tree bark.

Charter Member Traditional Archery Society

I did too !

Madison, Wisconsin.   Public land hunter
stonekiller

Associate Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Our horses did this to a bunch of trees once but never did it  again, must have been a vitamin deficiency or something. I remember it being mostly poplar trees,but i've seen deer do it to elm trees in winter down next to the roots.
Steve Graf

Reply with quote  #12 
Yep, looks like beavers to me as well.

Beavers suffer much hate from their fellow dam builders.  While we cut down entire rain forests and submerge valleys under hundreds of feet of water behind giant dams without a thought, we condemn them to near extinction for killing a maple tree and damning a creek.  I know I am guilty of my fair share of beaver animosity in this regard.

Then I read a book which opened my eyes to their role in the ecosystem and how our landscape and ecology has changed (for the worse) with their eradication.  If you are interested, here's a link: https://www.amazon.com/Eager-Surprising-Secret-Beavers-Matter/dp/160358739X

sempertodd

Charter Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Beaver's, yes.  Steve that is a good book read it and your right, opens your eyes to the conservation, we all need to do.

Reply with quote  #14 
Believe it or not, I have met Ben, the author of this book - he lives in our city and is an amazing scholar of the beaver... Turns out that many of the river restoration projects and the those trying to bring native trout back into the west are relying on them to build dams and re-build the riparian zones along our streams... I certainly get the distaste for them - they are a pain in the neck if you have property (structures) close to the stream or are trying to get young trees planted on the banks of the river.  People and beavers just want to live in/occupy the same spaces - sort of a natural set-up for trouble between us!   JW  

A good archer is not known by his arrows, but his aim.
- English Proverb

Tradslinger

Reply with quote  #15 
I totally agree that the beaver is an important animal in nature. All of my dealings have been because of others tired of their destruction to their property. I have been guilty of taking my time in getting rid of several because they were actually doing good for the pond or small lake. They were creating cover for everything in the water to use for surviving and hiding from bigger predators. I had sat and watched them for hours because they are a very effecient animal. But when a landowner is wanting them gone and is willing to even pay someone to do it, then they go. They create a lot of watersheds that are so valuable to so many creatures in nature. Nature and man clash all of the time. Modern man has a way of destroying the very thing that he originally loved about it. Man comes in and says "Oh how beautiful!" and then cuts everything down and then trashes the land. People come into the country like where I live because it is so quiet and nice but then they bring all of their problems with them and try to change everything to remind them of where they just left.  Man has a bad habit of bringing "invasive" creatures from home to a new land, Australia is a country over run with invasive animals that are destroying their native wildlife. And I know that beaver are native animals of this country. Just saying how man has the ability to change everything in nature and usually for the worst.
Deno

Charter Member
Reply with quote  #16 
With all the free time I just re read for the 5th time, "Sand County Almanac".  Aldo Leopold always makes me appreciate my little corner of the land.   Should be on every High School's reading list.  I finished my Leopold Bench this morning.  Now to sit and ponder.  [smile]

Deno

Howard Hill Wesley Special 70#
Howard Hill Big 5  65#
Jerry Hill Stalker Deluxe  60#
Jerry Hill Wildcat ll 50#

Northern New Jersey
longcruise

Club Member
Reply with quote  #17 
No shortage of beaver here in Colorado.  Brook trout in beaver ponds is one of my favorites. 

Reply with quote  #18 
Im guilty of loving beavertail wrapped risers. They are fun to watch and trap. There is a time and place. ZIP. Like chuck said look for a drag trail going from the tree to the water. Beavers make a slick trail when they leave the water. If you find a fresher one and a marshal chew made into a tree. Set a game camera just off the trail in some under brush. You will be in for treat. They are fun to watch work.

Reply with quote  #19 
Zip, keep and eye on those trees. It looks like beaver to me too. If they start start getting narrower and narrower, you'll know for sure.

Also, can you take a few pictures of the teeth marks?

ziplomacy

Reply with quote  #20 
I will try to find them whenever the parks open back up here. It's on a mountain bike/hiking park the town over from me.
Osage Selfbow #55@28"
NM Baraga #50@28"

Knoxville, TN
Steve Graf

Reply with quote  #21 
The beaver in the picture graced our big creek with his dam more than 10 years ago.  When he was done dam building, he perfected his skills at making beaver stew.  He really threw himself into his work [rolleyes] [biggrin]

Beaver1.jpg 

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.