photo f2fc6645-3553-483b-b64e-4c19058f6c05_zps121db233.jpg  photo 7B537578-F7C7-4F86-98B8-9F94E0644C33_zpsqirpypxs.jpg  photo jdberry_zpsea01d711.jpg  photo grizzlybroadheads_zps1m2s5rho.jpg  photo banner-kking-160-170_zps48e9d6a9.jpg  photo HolmMadeNewAd_09092014_zpsc4e4691d.jpg  photo truenortharrows_zpsi9ay4gwc.gif  photo 35A0AFC6-0F9E-412C-A64B-EBE54AF0479D_zpsmipyof8e.jpg  photo EEE5CA06-2368-4F2F-A920-0CA562579FE0_zpsm9lvvu1t.jpg  photo northernmist20bcard1_zpssaxw3n46.jpg  photo 072BD871-7553-4294-BBDD-E69370AD1F6A_zpsjismq5n7.jpg                                     photo AFF3B4E3-F518-4092-A4E6-65AE830AB2BE_zpsnuwaaten.jpg  photo f5d37de7-de84-47ad-b248-e8adfe84c5db_zps4oisluth.gif  photo 02c77249-7155-4785-a743-8faf8c694e7a_zpseaj9xlnz.jpg  photo B5D4E580-5A4C-4A25-AC73-D69CDBE82A69_zpsvvtli29v.jpg  photo Dave_shooting_bow_logo202_zpsuskt81vw.jpg  photo image_zps2rrhsrju.jpeg  photo sunsethill_zps551c0207.jpg  photo db77abad-c90f-4ee5-9e34-905fe0c0fd36_zpsleoiybdo.png  photo bigjim_zps76882839.jpg  photo howardhill_large_zps5fd2fcc7.jpg  photo IMG_5966_zpsgrbhwrgb.jpeg  photo Bearpaw_Products_Logo1_zps55d85f33.jpg  photo tradtech_zps697b00c1.jpg  photo a3c08d6f-f669-46b5-8b0c-1480a411cc78_zpsc853b3a6.gif  photo fairbow_zpsc278ec39.jpg  photo F5A4B354-1040-4D43-939F-28ED48F7E5B7_zpsws5ptsc8.jpg  photo coyote track 1_zpshipxn54s.png  photo DF07A98B-41BB-4024-BCF7-A4FCB543D40E_zpsoiduf1m2.png  photo the20footed20shaft_zpsudbyv3ab.jpg  photo blackeaglefinal_zpsfqgqqrcj.png  photo 94936CDE-4CF5-4181-B2F9-FECCA1FE886F_zpsy5nfpirv.jpg photo D49F4739-A11D-4F9D-9D50-4C3EE95E9555_zpswoqwk23o.jpg  photo BF4712C7-9EE6-460F-8380-4E7F08A65416_zpsmluzlgny.jpg  photo bivoucascreenshot_zpscfdgf0n0.jpg  photo 510CA748-680D-4178-8B50-1A4C7F7F895D_zps6b5pjjoc.gif
Traditional Archers | Bowhunters

Author   Comment  
Kelly

Charter Member
Reply with quote  #1 
To those of you who have both, if you would be ordering another bow from James which one of these two models would it be?

To me the strung profiles look identical but have not seen them side by side. Those that have bot could you take a picture of yours strung, side by side so I can compare?

Thanks, Kelly

http://www.arrowskp.com

>>>>============> Enjoy the flight of an arrow amongst Mother Nature's Glory! Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible! >>>>============>
Charter Member Traditional Archery Society
OrionII

Reply with quote  #2 
They've not identical.  The Valor is a straight limbed ASL.  The riser is straight/flat where it is set upon the limbs, the limbs have a little back set and the bow strings into a D-shape.  The Taipan has a tiny amount of deflex built into the riser, and the limbs continue the defiex and then reflex from mid-limb toward the tip. It doesn't really string into a D-shape, but rather more of a triangular shape. Because of it's deflex/reflex design, the Taipan can be made a little shorter vis-a-vis a Valor, 64 inches, for example, vs 66 inches for the Valor for the same 28-inch draw length.  Of course, either will handle a longer or shorter draw length, but that's about the optimum in my opinion.  Because of it's deflex/reflex design, the Taipan is generally faster than the Valor, all other things equal.

Which you might like best is a matter of personal preference and how you plan to use it. If you like ASLs, the Valor would be the ticket.  If you like shooting deflex/reflex bows, it's the Taipan.  I like the shorter, quicker 64-inch Taipan for hunting from tree stands. I like the Valor when still hunting from the ground.  Whether in the tree or on the ground, I usually have a hard time deciding which to take because I like them both a lot.  They've become my go-to longbows.  Well, A Vixen or two also attracts my attention from time to time.

I haven't placed an order yet, but I am looking for a 66-inch Valor.  My current Valor is 68 inches, and I'm thinking a 66-incher would be an even better fit for my 28-inch draw length.  If i came upon another 64-inch Taipan with my weight specs, I'd snap it up in a heartbeat.  
tradlongbow

Administrator
Reply with quote  #3 
Kelly, I’ve never had an opportunity to shoot the Valor but I did shoot the Taipan in either the late 90’s or early 00’s. Like Orion said the Valor is an ASL and the Taipan is R/D. I remember the Taipan being a real good shooting longbow with nice cast and feel in the hand. You really can’t go wrong with either of the two models.,

TRADITIONAL BOWHUNTER WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 
Farmland Conservation Club, Winchester, Indiana 

PUBLIC LAND HUNTER
John Schulz Straight Shooting and Bowhunting Graduate
Email: traditionalarcherysociety@yahoo.com

shawn rackley

Reply with quote  #4 
I have never had a valor, but I have shot the original taipan. James made me a Taipan in 2005, amazing bow. I always couldn't believe the cast that thing had. Very impressive bow. Had it for almost 10 years, but had to sell it after a divorce to pay bills, if there could only be one bow that i have sold that i could get back. It would be that taipan. Mine was 46#s @28, and it was very smooth without any handshock and fast. I'm sure the valor is an amazing bow too. I have wanted one since he came out with it, but now that the Taipan is back, I would have a tough time choosing . Lol
centaur

Charter Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Here you go....Unstrung
fullsizeoutput_277a.jpeg 
Strung
fullsizeoutput_2779.jpeg
Grips
nsc%5gu6T9KclDvnsgFujQ.jpg 
Both bows do what they do very well; put arrows downrange with lethal force. The Taipan is noticeably faster than the Valor, but both are quiet, stable and free of any hand shock. You steps up and takes yer choice, but neither choice is bad. Hope these pics help you decide, but maybe these bows are like Lay's potato chips; nobody can have just one.

chuckc

Reply with quote  #6 
Are the grips / handles essentially the same ?  I really like my Valor, but I am in line for a new Taipan also.  Excited....

I did too !

Madison, Wisconsin.   Public land hunter
centaur

Charter Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Chuck, yes, they are very similar.
OrionII

Reply with quote  #8 
On my Valor and all the others I've seen, JD puts a few thin overlays on the belly side so he has a little leeway in shaping the grip.  The end result is very similar to the Taipan.  
Kelly

Charter Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Thank you Centaur! Exactly what I was looking for. Am in line for my first J D bow here soon I hope. Was to be a Valor and may still be but simply love the lines of the Taipan II. Guess I need to get another spot in line on OE’s list. 😁

It’s very obvious the differences between the two in the unstrung profile but to my eyes virtually no difference in strung profile.

Are the bottoms limbs shorter than upper in both bows?

Suspect the limbs are thicker on the Valor?

>>>>============> Enjoy the flight of an arrow amongst Mother Nature's Glory! Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible! >>>>============>
Kelly

Charter Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckc
Are the grips / handles essentially the same ?  I really like my Valor, but I am in line for a new Taipan also.  Excited....

Chuck, on another thread OE said the handle of the Taipan II is longer and has more deflex.

OrionII

Reply with quote  #11 
I noted the more deflex in the Taipan riser in my first post.  In responding to Chuck's question about grip similarity I was talking about the grips only, not the riser length. The Taipan riser is 14 inches long, the Valor is 12.  As best I can tell, Centaur has a pretty low brace height on his Valor.  If it were higher, it would take more of a D profile.  The Taipan definitely does not take a D shape when strung.

On my Taipan, the arrow shelf is 2 inches above the center of the bow, meaning the upper and lower limbs are the same length. On my Valor, the rest is 1 1/2 inches above the center of the bow, meaning the upper limb is 1 inch longer than the lower limb. The limb widths are pretty close to 1 inch on both, perhaps 1/16 inch wider on the Taipan. The Taipan is about 1/2 inch thick at the fade outs and the limbs are trapped.  The Valor is about 9/16 inch at the fades and not trapped.  I suspect some of the trapping, rounding of limb edges, etc., is a result of sanding to make certain weights.  The draw weights are pretty close.  My Taipan is 50#@29, about 47-48 at 28.  The Valor is 46#@28.
jwhitetail

Reply with quote  #12 
Here are pics of my Taipan II (left) and my Valor (Right).  They are really apples and oranges given that my Taipan II is only 62" and 56@28 whereas my Valor is 68" long and 49@28.  Folks along the way have pointed out the major differences - the riser length and the fact that the Taipan II is a duo-flex and the Valor is straight limbed.  
Love them both but I have lately shifted to the Taipan II for hunting because I am interested in reaching out there a little further. The Taipan II fits the bill as it has amazing cast.
JW

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: IMG-3680.jpg, Views: 45, Size: 297.22 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: IMG-3681.jpg, Views: 46, Size: 283.72 KB 

A good archer is not known by his arrows, but his aim.
- English Proverb

trakker409

Associate Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Question for you guys who own both the Taipan II and the Valor, other than the obvious design and speed differences, do you notice much in the way of different shooting characteristics? It has been my experience that shorter, somewhat faster bows designed for performance are sometimes more critical of shooter error while the ASL doesn't necessarily magnify mistakes. I've owned and shot James' bows since the 90's and none have disappointed. I am however aware that different designs produce different results. I'm about to order a Valor or a Taipan. I plan on speaking with James before I make a decision but I'd like to get some input from you guys as well. Anything you can share in regards to the 2 bows would be appreciated. Thanks.
OrionII

Reply with quote  #14 
Hard to say.  They're really two different beasts. I don't think my Taipan is any more sensitive to shooter error than my Valor. In fact, one of the reasons I like it is it seems to be quite accommodating. It is physically lighter than my Valor, and sometimes folks have trouble holding on target with a bow that's too light for them.  Of course, I'm comparing a 64-inch bow to a 68-inch bow. A shorter Valor, say 66 inches, would also be physically lighter.  Hand shock isn't really an issue with either bow, but I do notice a bit more thump with the Valor. Or maybe another way of putting it is that I don't notice any with the Taipan, and just a tiny bit with the Valor.  I shoot low stretch strings on both. If all your other bows are ASLs, the Taipan would be a faster/flatter anomaly you would have to get used to.

Your draw length might direct you more toward one or the other.  I'm of the opinion that the 64-inch Taipan is just about perfect for a 28-inch draw.  I think a 66-inch Valor would also be about the perfect length for a 28-inch draw length.  I'd like to put the latter statement to the test.  My Valor is 68 inches. I draw 28 inches. I'm looking to trade mine for one two inches shorter. I don't know if JD makes the Taipan longer than 64 inches, but if your draw length is longer than 29 inches, I personally think a 64-inch Taipan would be too short.  I know, some guy will come on here now and say he draws 32 inches and the 64-inch Taipan is perfect for him. Just my opinion.   

Sorry I can't be of more help. I don't think you can go wrong with either. If you do go with a Valor, be sure to discuss your grip preferences with JD. The belly of the grip can be made straight, but on mine, and all others I've seen, James put  on a couple thin overlays so he could shape it into more of a very slight indexed/concave grip.  It's a feel I like, and it is closer to the Taipan grip as well. 

Good luck.

trakker409

Associate Member
Reply with quote  #15 
Thanks OrionIII. That's the type of information I was looking for. I have a 28" draw. I'm currently shooting a 66" Misty Dawn but I've owned several other ASL's in the past including one of James' earlier Vixens. I love the shooting characteristics of the ASL so it's probably my favorite design. I'm also shooting a 60" Northern Mist Baraga which is an awesome bow as well. After much debate with myself I think I would like to order the Taipan but wanted to get some other input. I think 64" would indeed be an optimum indeed but I may opt for a 62". At any rate I appreciate any thoughts or observations any of you guys may have regarding the Taipan, both good or bad........as if there can be any bad with James' bows, haha.
Mgmicky

Reply with quote  #16 
Trakker, I’d speak with James about the bow length and get his opinion. He’s really helpful and a wealth of archery knowledge. My draw length is 29” and my Taipan is 66” and it’s one of the best shooting bows I own. Good luck with your new bow

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: 77E95CB4-5FBA-4226-BE89-7532786C3C93.jpeg, Views: 24, Size: 1.14 MB 

————————————————————
East Tennessee

jwhitetail

Reply with quote  #17 
Comparing my Taipan II and the Valor is really apples and oranges (or maybe oranges and tangerines).  Valor is a full 68" and 49@28 whereas my Taipan II is only 62" and 56@28.  Given the large spread, they are very different bows to handle and shoot.  In fact, the poundage and length outweigh the similarity of the handles, I think.  I will say that I enjoy both very much.  The Valor is lower key (but plenty deadly) bow to shoot as its in the 40s and the light Taipain II is extremely quick and a very flat shooter... I have to aim both a bit differently at 20 yards.  I purchase the Taipan II to hunt elk and deer in the open ponderosa pine/grasslands we have... 25 yards is a common shot.  Further for elk, so I wanted the flat shooter.

If you want the older ASL trad design, and like that design and those limbs, go with the Valor and get the really nice grip of the Taipan... but if you want to shoot flatter at longer distances - go with the heavier, Taipan II.  

Probably not a bunch of help, but there it is.  Good luck... you will get a great bow either way.

JW

A good archer is not known by his arrows, but his aim.
- English Proverb

centaur

Charter Member
Reply with quote  #18 
Taipan 2 in rattlesnake country... IMG_2727.jpg

Moots

Charter Member
Reply with quote  #19 
Beautiful picture Centaur!

NotDylan

Associate Member
Reply with quote  #20 
Indeed!  That is a lovely bow and scenery.
neargeezer

Associate Member
Reply with quote  #21 
It is also excellent photography skills!
trakker409

Associate Member
Reply with quote  #22 
Thanks for the tips and comparisons between the two bows. Spoke with James at length today and I've got a Taipan on order!
NotDylan

Associate Member
Reply with quote  #23 
Care to elaborate a little on what he said?  I've got a TBD bow on order from him as well.  Leaning towards a Misty Dawn but have been wanting a Taipan for years now.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.