photo f2fc6645-3553-483b-b64e-4c19058f6c05_zps121db233.jpg  photo 7B537578-F7C7-4F86-98B8-9F94E0644C33_zpsqirpypxs.jpg  photo jdberry_zpsea01d711.jpg  photo grizzlybroadheads_zps1m2s5rho.jpg  photo banner-kking-160-170_zps48e9d6a9.jpg  photo HolmMadeNewAd_09092014_zpsc4e4691d.jpg  photo truenortharrows_zpsi9ay4gwc.gif  photo 35A0AFC6-0F9E-412C-A64B-EBE54AF0479D_zpsmipyof8e.jpg  photo EEE5CA06-2368-4F2F-A920-0CA562579FE0_zpsm9lvvu1t.jpg  photo northernmist20bcard1_zpssaxw3n46.jpg  photo 072BD871-7553-4294-BBDD-E69370AD1F6A_zpsjismq5n7.jpg                                     photo AFF3B4E3-F518-4092-A4E6-65AE830AB2BE_zpsnuwaaten.jpg  photo f5d37de7-de84-47ad-b248-e8adfe84c5db_zps4oisluth.gif  photo 02c77249-7155-4785-a743-8faf8c694e7a_zpseaj9xlnz.jpg  photo B5D4E580-5A4C-4A25-AC73-D69CDBE82A69_zpsvvtli29v.jpg  photo Dave_shooting_bow_logo202_zpsuskt81vw.jpg  photo image_zps2rrhsrju.jpeg  photo sunsethill_zps551c0207.jpg  photo db77abad-c90f-4ee5-9e34-905fe0c0fd36_zpsleoiybdo.png  photo bigjim_zps76882839.jpg  photo howardhill_large_zps5fd2fcc7.jpg  photo IMG_5966_zpsgrbhwrgb.jpeg  photo Bearpaw_Products_Logo1_zps55d85f33.jpg  photo tradtech_zps697b00c1.jpg  photo a3c08d6f-f669-46b5-8b0c-1480a411cc78_zpsc853b3a6.gif  photo fairbow_zpsc278ec39.jpg  photo F5A4B354-1040-4D43-939F-28ED48F7E5B7_zpsws5ptsc8.jpg  photo coyote track 1_zpshipxn54s.png  photo DF07A98B-41BB-4024-BCF7-A4FCB543D40E_zpsoiduf1m2.png  photo the20footed20shaft_zpsudbyv3ab.jpg  photo blackeaglefinal_zpsfqgqqrcj.png  photo 94936CDE-4CF5-4181-B2F9-FECCA1FE886F_zpsy5nfpirv.jpg photo D49F4739-A11D-4F9D-9D50-4C3EE95E9555_zpswoqwk23o.jpg  photo BF4712C7-9EE6-460F-8380-4E7F08A65416_zpsmluzlgny.jpg  photo bivoucascreenshot_zpscfdgf0n0.jpg  photo 510CA748-680D-4178-8B50-1A4C7F7F895D_zps6b5pjjoc.gif
steelflight
Have been looking at the time tested skin on frame canvas canoe. Might build one myself. But I wanted too ask if there awesome photos out there of archers posing in an old canoe. Maybe even a story to go with it.

Fingers crossed.
You may think before you act the question is do you listen to your own counsel.
Quote 0
Orion
I don't know how to post pix, but I've been building and restoring wood and canvas canoes for about 40 years. You do need to build or borrow a mold on which to build a wood and canvas canoe.  Though skeleton molds can be built, they don't yield as good a boat as a solid mold, and it takes as much time and effort to build a good mold as it does to build the canoe.

Once built, one can build many canoes off of it, but most don't find it worth their time to build a solid mold for only one canoe. That's why I suggest borrowing one.  Or, if you're interested in a used or restorable wood and canvas canoe, check out the classifieds at the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association website.

Wood and canvas canoes aren't as heavy as some folks think, though they certainly don't compare to the lightness of Kevlar, and, in addition to being downright pretty to look at, they are quite sturdy and very quiet, and just seem to be more lively than a plastic or metal boat.  

I don't use mine for hunting much, though was a day when i used to use one for jump shooting ducks and occasionally to carry my hunting camp into a remote area.  Still use them for fishing and canoe camping, and just plain having fun. 
Quote 0
CTDolan
A wood-canvas canoe is to canoeing what a Hill-style longbow (no glass) is to archery. Pure class.
Quote 0
steelflight
Cetertainly looks fulfilling
Quote 0
steelflight
Maybe a 20 ft one will do!lol
Quote 0
Orion
I have a pix of a wooden canoe in action if someone would post it for me.  
Quote 0
Deno
canoe 111.jpg 
Charter Member Traditional Archery Society
United Bowhunters of New Jersey
Traditional Archers of New Jersey TANJ

Howard Hill Wesley Special 70#
Howard Hill Big 5  65#
Jerry Hill Stalker Deluxe  60#
Jerry Hill Wildcat ll 50#

Northern New Jersey
Quote 0
Orion
Hmmm.  I figured out how to do it.  Killed this buck across the marsh several years ago.  The canoe is a puddle jumper I built.

WI Bow Hunt 2008 050.jpg
Quote 1
MTPete
Jerry, 

Your picture really resonated with me and I had to comment. I'm in Montana and haven't hunted the type of wilds you have in Wisconsin. Can you give me a little background story on your hunt? That is a great looking canoe, some tough country and a great buck! Thanks for sharing.

Pete
Quote 0
Orion
This was in far Northwestern Wisconsin, as big as the woods gets in Wisconsin, but nowhere near as wild or big as some parts of Montana. I've been hunting there for about 35 years.  Bought an 80 in the middle of thousands of acres of public land and my brother and i built a cabin on it about 20 years ago.  Though I hunt public land, probably more than i do my own, this hunt was on my land.  A marsh and small creek runs through the center of it.  I can usually cross the creek following an old beaver dam, which is on my immediate right in the picture, but it takes about 25 minutes of careful walking to cross the couple of hundred yards. With my canoe, I can paddle most of the distance in less than five minutes, and I'm quieter, too. 

This is one of the few bucks I grunted in.  Can't remember the date exactly, but probably around Nov. 10 give or take a day or two.  Saw him at about 80 yards, and he was moving from left to right in front of me.  I grunted, and he stopped, but then continued.  Grunted again, and he stopped again, but decided to leave.  In desperation, I threw a couple more grunts at him.  All this with my voice.  Didn't own a grunt call.  Could no longer see him in the thick brush and thought he had left, but i slowly raised my binos, and there he was looking in my direction.  Almost immediately, he came in my direction, picked up a trail that led about 15 yards from my stand and kept coming.  

I almost blew it by drawing too quickly.  He caught movement and stopped with me at half draw.  Luckily he only stopped about 10 seconds.  When he started to move again, I completed my draw and shot.  The arrow may have deflected off brush very near him.  Entered perfectly behind the front leg, but then traveled upward a bit and lodged in the off side shoulder joint.  Given that i was shooting from a tree, the arrow should have exited the lower part of his body.  Anyway, he only went about 60 yards.

I had a short couple hundred yard drag back to the creek and the canoe, which made it a lot easier to get him to the other side of the marsh where my cabin is located. This was a rather melancholy hunt.  My 12-year-old Brittany had died just a few weeks earlier, and I had spread his ashes many places we hunted together.  Some of those ashes were not far in front of the buck, where it turned and began coming toward me.  I think Rusty was hunting with me in spirit that day, and I'll always remember and thank him for his help.

The canoe is my design.  It's fairly short and wide -- 12 feet by 35 inches.  Kind of paddles like a tug, but perfect for throwing in the back of a pick up for floating small creeks. Rusty would often accompany me on my duck jump shooting endeavors, and he liked to stand on the gunwales.  That's one of the reasons I built it on the wide side.  I no longer have that boat, but have several others, including a 14 1/2- foot wood and canvas solo canoe that I designed and built that I use for hunting and fishing now.  

The beaver have moved back into my marsh and now have a huge house and dam and created probably a 3-4 acre pond that will provide access to a very difficult to reach high spot on the edge of the marsh that's just about inaccessible unless you're a deer or other critter. I plan to use my canoe to get a stand over there next fall. Can't wait.

Quote 0
mistercmath
That's an excellent story and canoe. I feel inspired to make one for myself.
Currently shooting:
Black Ram Traditions Recurve, 46# @ 30",
Bodnik Slick Stick, 48# @ 30" 

Quote 0
docpain
Great story and a classic pic. Looks like it should be a magazine cover!
If it isn't life or death, it's no big deal.
Quote 0
MTPete
Yes, thanks Jerry for the story. A couple of things stood out to me...you found that canoe hunting is much quieter then stalking through the woods. I really like that idea for covering ground on the water and being stealthy at the same time. Also, you mentioned jump shooting ducks, but those woods like like they might hold grouse and woodcock as well? Was that Rusty's forte? I ask because I really enjoy my Burton Spiller books and both your descriptions of the grouse woods are similar. And finally, its interesting how the woods change, beaver dams, high and low ground, overgrown patches of brush. I think those like us (who enjoy stalking the woods with a longbow), change with each experience, whether we realize it or not.

I responded to your PM, take care and talk soon.

Pete
Quote 0
Mike Reilly
Jerry, that picture is outstanding. Please tell me you have that framed in your mancave. I surely would!
Quote 0
Gypsy
What a great story to go with a memorable photo. Thank you for posting it.
Quote 0
Old Sailor
Beautiful picture, buck and canoe!  Enjoyed your story.  What a blessing to have land like that for a hunting cabin!!!
Charter Member Traditional Archery Society
Member Colorado Traditional Archery Society

JD Berry Morning Star 54#@28, Northern Mist Classic 54#@28Sovereign Ballistik 60#28, Howatt Hunter 55#@28, Ben Pearson Mustang 46#@28

"But God demonstrates His own love towards us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us."  Romans 5:8

"The problem is not guns, It's hearts without God, Homes without discipline, Schools without prayer, and Courtrooms without justice" ; unknown.

Durango, Colorado
Public Land Hunter
Quote 0
fdp
  I had a friend in Southern Ohio many years ago who had permission to hunt acres and acres of farm land in the Scioto Valley. He would float the Scioto River and Paint Creek in an old canoe sneaking from spot to spot.  That method was deadly for him and his Dave Guthrie Appalachian Flatbow.
Quote 0
Orion
Pete:  I can't say as I do much deer hunting out of a canoe.  I do use it to sneak in to places, and, as in the case above, to haul out a critter now and again.  I don't float small creeks for ducks as much as i used to either, but when I did, it wasn't unusual to float by some very nice bucks bedded right on the river's edge or sometimes feeding on the water's edge.  Certainly could have shot some had I been carrying a bow rather than a gun. Most just stayed bedded and watched me drift by.

Yep.  My cabin is in the middle of some of the best grouse and woodcock hunting in the country. That was Rusty's specialty.  I have another Brittany now, Buddy, and we chase birds occasionally, though again, not as much as I used to. We still manage to get a few birds each fall though. I believe I have everything that Burton Spiller wrote.  Also like all of Gene Hill's books. 

Mike:  That pix is stored in my computer.  Actually had a hard time finding it because i never categorized my hunting pictures according to date, topic, etc.  That's a project for some upcoming winter.  Probably still time to get to it this winter, but I doubt I will.  Earlier this winter, I went through thousands of slides and pictures of my hunting exploits over the past 40 years or so, and threw out well over 90% off them.  Still have the highlights, but still not terribly well organized. 

I do feel blessed to have that land in God's country. Not a lot of deer hunting pressure, in part because there aren't many deer there, and one can walk all day and not come across a fence or private property.  The only down side is I live in the southern part of the state and it's a 5 hour drive to get there.
Quote 0
steelflight
Thanksfor sharing these stories friends
Quote 0
ottertails
Orion, great pic....love the canoe. And what a place to hunt!
I can only imagine the solitude.
Thanks for sharing.
Quote 0