photo f2fc6645-3553-483b-b64e-4c19058f6c05_zps121db233.jpg  photo 7B537578-F7C7-4F86-98B8-9F94E0644C33_zpsqirpypxs.jpg  photo jdberry_zpsea01d711.jpg  photo grizzlybroadheads_zps1m2s5rho.jpg  photo banner-kking-160-170_zps48e9d6a9.jpg  photo HolmMadeNewAd_09092014_zpsc4e4691d.jpg  photo truenortharrows_zpsi9ay4gwc.gif  photo 35A0AFC6-0F9E-412C-A64B-EBE54AF0479D_zpsmipyof8e.jpg  photo EEE5CA06-2368-4F2F-A920-0CA562579FE0_zpsm9lvvu1t.jpg  photo northernmist20bcard1_zpssaxw3n46.jpg  photo 072BD871-7553-4294-BBDD-E69370AD1F6A_zpsjismq5n7.jpg                                     photo AFF3B4E3-F518-4092-A4E6-65AE830AB2BE_zpsnuwaaten.jpg  photo f5d37de7-de84-47ad-b248-e8adfe84c5db_zps4oisluth.gif  photo 02c77249-7155-4785-a743-8faf8c694e7a_zpseaj9xlnz.jpg  photo B5D4E580-5A4C-4A25-AC73-D69CDBE82A69_zpsvvtli29v.jpg  photo Dave_shooting_bow_logo202_zpsuskt81vw.jpg  photo image_zps2rrhsrju.jpeg  photo sunsethill_zps551c0207.jpg  photo db77abad-c90f-4ee5-9e34-905fe0c0fd36_zpsleoiybdo.png  photo bigjim_zps76882839.jpg  photo howardhill_large_zps5fd2fcc7.jpg  photo IMG_5966_zpsgrbhwrgb.jpeg  photo Bearpaw_Products_Logo1_zps55d85f33.jpg  photo tradtech_zps697b00c1.jpg  photo a3c08d6f-f669-46b5-8b0c-1480a411cc78_zpsc853b3a6.gif  photo fairbow_zpsc278ec39.jpg  photo F5A4B354-1040-4D43-939F-28ED48F7E5B7_zpsws5ptsc8.jpg  photo coyote track 1_zpshipxn54s.png  photo DF07A98B-41BB-4024-BCF7-A4FCB543D40E_zpsoiduf1m2.png  photo the20footed20shaft_zpsudbyv3ab.jpg  photo blackeaglefinal_zpsfqgqqrcj.png  photo 94936CDE-4CF5-4181-B2F9-FECCA1FE886F_zpsy5nfpirv.jpg photo D49F4739-A11D-4F9D-9D50-4C3EE95E9555_zpswoqwk23o.jpg  photo BF4712C7-9EE6-460F-8380-4E7F08A65416_zpsmluzlgny.jpg  photo bivoucascreenshot_zpscfdgf0n0.jpg  photo 510CA748-680D-4178-8B50-1A4C7F7F895D_zps6b5pjjoc.gif
Traditional Archers | Bowhunters

Author   Comment  
Clovis6

TAS Upgrade Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Happy New Year.  If you haven't already thought about it, today is the day to make your Traditional Archery New Year's Resolutions. Here's just a few of mine to get you started.

1.  Sell a few bows  (Always good to put the hardest resolutions first. Might even let go of 1 or 2 of my Black Widows.  Just felt Tim cringe 1500 miles away.)

2.  Buy a new bow  (This will be my reward if I complete #1. Probably a BW PLX longbow.)  

3.  Resort all my wood arrows by spine and point weight.  (This is kinda like saying I am going to lose 20#. Noble and necessary, but probably more effort than it's worth.)

4.  Hunt small game.  (We get so fixated on the deer season that sometimes we forget there are many other opportunities out there to test our skill. A plus is that I can do it while walking around which will also help with the 20# resolution)

5.  Shoot in at least 2 of the TAS Regional  shoots in addition to the TAS Championship over Memorial Day.  (Darren puts a ton of work into these shoots and they are always great fun. Hoping to meet and shoot with some new folks that can't get out to Winchester, Indiana.)

6.  Shoot some large game animal other than a Whitetail. (Hope to have an opportunity down at London Oaks later this month. And am sure I am going to get drawn for an elk in PA this year.  Hey, you just gotta believe.) 

7.  Organize my broadheads by type, brand, and weight in a nice container.  (Need one that allows me to get at them without reaching into a cardboard box and cutting my fingers all the time.)

8.  Get to my Archery Club work parties more often. (We belong to 2 great clubs and rarely if ever participate)

9.  Get a new truck (Haven't owned one since 1987.  This resolution counts because I will use it to transport my traditional archery equipment around.)

10.  Show some love to the compound guys that take 15 minutes to shoot a 3D target and tend to make me a bit crazy at times.  (At the risk of this turning into the food fight we are having over on the "Wish" thread, neither of the archery clubs I belong to would probably be around if they didn't have a critical mass of compound shooters to make them financially viable.) 

So there you have it. The 10 resolutions that came to mind over my first cup of coffee this morning.  We'll see how well I do.  

Shooting right now (Sep 2020): 
Northern Mist Sprague Longbow, 66", #52
Bodnik Mohawk Chief Longbow, 62", #50
Black Widow PTFX Recurve, 60", #50

Doylestown, PA / Reston, VA
Danny Pyle

Charter Member
Reply with quote  #2 
I only have one, that is to get out and shoot more!

"Tis better to be thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt" Chandlersville,Ohio.
Black Widow PMAX 62” 49lb@28”
Black Widow PLGA 62” 50lb@30” Golden Anniversary 
HH Wesley Special 68” 48lb@28”
Sam

Reply with quote  #3 
I need to shoot more, and, secondly, I need to quit plucking the string. I want to hunt more. My problem here has been that I just didn't feel like getting out very often. I have some health issues that don't prevent hunting but do make me not feel like getting out.

Gray, GA

"The spirit of the bow dwells in the heart of all young men" - Geronimo

Hill Wesley Special (2, both 65#)
Hill Cheetah (2, one 55# and one 40#)
Hill Big 5 (50#)
NM Shelton (2, both 53#)
Deathwish Longbow (59#)
Archery Traditions Bamboo Longhunter (3, one 56#, one 60# and one 78#)

longcruise

Club Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
So there you have it. The 10 resolutions that came to mind over my first cup of coffee this morning.  We'll see how well I do.   

I'm on the second cup of coffee and still working on it.  Thanks for getting me started. [thumb]

Charter Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Easier said than done, but I hope to give the longbow 100% of my time this year.  I've said it before, but always strayed.  I think I have the right mindset at this point in time to be successful.  It'll be hard since I do like my Bighorns, Bear TD's and Black Widow.  But after soul searching over many cups of coffee in the wee hours of the morning, my heart belongs to longbows.  I will be seeking advice from a few of you on TAS; I'll keep you posted.
Shick
Dave Weiss

Club Member
Reply with quote  #6 
NO NEW BOWS! Learn to shoot and be happy with what I have.
chuckc

Reply with quote  #7 
That's right....no new bows...well, except for....

Charter Member Traditional Archery Society

I did too !

Madison, Wisconsin.   Public land hunter
Steve

Reply with quote  #8 
Being the helpful kinda guy that I am, my resolution will be to help Rob with his first resolution and take that Ramer off his hands. Hehehe

Reply with quote  #9 
I think I am gonna build a couple bows this year, including a really nice one....

Might even ( finally) try to build some youth and child bows for the cause.

Charter Member Traditional Archery Society

I did too !

Madison, Wisconsin.   Public land hunter
timking

TAS Upgrade Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Well, Bob, as you correctly called out, I will be rooting against your irrational thought of selling BWs, in fact, I think a cooling off period is in order!

I MIGHT started selling/ sharing some of my excess archery gear.
I AM going to shoot/hunt more.

I resolved last year to shoot/hunt more of a a variety of bows, but unfortunately, I can’t get beyond 2 or 3 favorites.

Dallas, Texas
62" #55 Fox High Sierra 
62" #58 Black Widow MA
64" #56 A&H ACS 
Widowmaker 350 Carbon shafts
200 gr. Iron Will 4 blade

Deno

Charter Member
Reply with quote  #11 
1 Hope to find more free time to attend some TAS hunts and shoots.

2 Keep abreast of Bob's bought and sold posts....lol Bob [biggrin]

Deno

Howard Hill Wesley Special 70#
Howard Hill Big 5  65#
Jerry Hill Stalker Deluxe  60#
Jerry Hill Wildcat ll 50#

Northern New Jersey
James Calamaris

Club Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Sell my PLX that I haven’t shot yet since it came back from the factory.

Club Member Traditional Archery Society

J_Foster

Reply with quote  #13 
- I'd like to learn to build a selfbow and hunt with it exclusively next fall by attend a bow building class or two (Arvin Weaver's or Pine Hollow Longbows and open to other offerings). 

- Start researching the possibility of a DIY Alaskan Moose/Caribou hunt for 2020 or 

- Enter drawings for out-of-state hunts Coues deer, Mule Deer, Elk, black bear, etc...

- Maintain my recent weight loss and improve my overall fitness to be able to hunt the mountains

1. “The White Eagle” - John Schulz - 66” #60@28” - Lefty

2. “The Hunter” - John Schulz - 66” #54@28” - Lefty
3. “Sunbear” - Charlie Lamb - 66” #58@29” - Lefty
4. 2-Piece String-Follow - Brian McBroom - 66” #57@28 - Lefty

Non-ASL:
1. Baleen Whale/Yew longbow - Fred Sevier aka "Tukaluk" - 68" #60@28 - Righty
2. 3-Piece Zipper Extreme - Foam/Carbon limbs with Elk overlays - Lefty

Selfbow:
1. "Spirit Stick" Selfbow - John Strunk - 68" #60@28", Dual shelf 

timking

TAS Upgrade Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deno

2 Keep abreast of Bob's bought and sold posts....lol Bob [biggrin]

Deno

Deno, I have an interactive spreadsheet going I should share, it’s the only way to keep up with him.
I had a tab for Justin, but he’s WAY to quiet, he never shows his hand until the ‘bows in the mail’...

Dallas, Texas
62" #55 Fox High Sierra 
62" #58 Black Widow MA
64" #56 A&H ACS 
Widowmaker 350 Carbon shafts
200 gr. Iron Will 4 blade

Jim Wolffe

Reply with quote  #15 
1.Go hunting every day I have off from work.
2.Spend more time stump shooting.
3.When going to shoots or rendezvous, be more of a participant than spectator.
4.Work on slowing down and feeling my anchor rather than snap shooting.

Northern Mist Classic 68" 52#@28"    Todd Henck Longbow 68" 58#@28" Shrew Hill #1 "Alpha" 67" 48#@28"
Striker Classic TDL 62" 45#@28"
Mike Reilly

Reply with quote  #16 
I'd sure like to pick one style of shooting and dedicate myself to it.
Deno

Charter Member
Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by timking

Deno, I have an interactive spreadsheet going I should share, it’s the only way to keep up with him.
I had a tab for Justin, but he’s WAY to quiet, he never shows his hand until the ‘bows in the mail’...

haaaaa   good one Tim !![thumb]

Howard Hill Wesley Special 70#
Howard Hill Big 5  65#
Jerry Hill Stalker Deluxe  60#
Jerry Hill Wildcat ll 50#

Northern New Jersey
Tom M

Charter Member
Reply with quote  #18 
I have a few as well.
1. Get to the rec center gym as often as possible. Otherwise I gonna have to sell off 99% of my bows and arrows.
2. Encourage my wife to come out to the range more often.
3. Tell my kids I love them more often. We miss them both.
4. Try and get to as many 3D shoots as possible. Would love to meet you guys.

Sun City, Az. by way of San Diego, Ca. Bear TD's Wes Wallace Royal LB, ILF risers and various limbs, Vintage Works 1962 Kodiak reproduction made to my specs

I hunt public land.
Sam

Reply with quote  #19 
Tom M, your resolution # 3 is probably the most important one I've seen. Telling our loved ones how we feel is the essence of being a family. We never know when we will see each other for the last time on this earth. On the day I graduated from graduate school, I went by my Dad's store to show him my diploma. He was robbed and murdered in his store later that night. The one thing that has haunted me terribly since that day in 1977 is that I don't recall if I told him I loved him, and that has really affected me. You can bet your sweet bippy that I tell my wife, children, and grandchildren that I love them every time we leave each other. When I die, I want them to know that the last thing I told them is, "I love you".

Without the support and encouragement of family members, few of us would enjoy bowhunting as much as we do. Even if they don't directly participate with us they are a part of the archery mix. We are able to do many things and acquire much gear because of their understanding. I apologize for getting sentimental, but this really is a desirable resolution, even for all us rough, tough, and ever so manly outdoorsmen.

Gray, GA

"The spirit of the bow dwells in the heart of all young men" - Geronimo

Hill Wesley Special (2, both 65#)
Hill Cheetah (2, one 55# and one 40#)
Hill Big 5 (50#)
NM Shelton (2, both 53#)
Deathwish Longbow (59#)
Archery Traditions Bamboo Longhunter (3, one 56#, one 60# and one 78#)

jwhitetail

Reply with quote  #20 
1. Learn to build a self bow 
2. Scout my whitetail areas more thoroughly, find another hunting area with ag lands (food) nearby
3. Participate in at least 3 3D shoots before summer
4. Build a nice bow case
5. Stay at saying fit!
6. Elk hunt this year.
7. Build an outdoor range on my dads place (forested 10 acres near here)
8. put two new stands up on spots I already hunt - refine my game plan.

A good archer is not known by his arrows, but his aim.
- English Proverb

Shootalot

TAS Upgrade Member
Reply with quote  #21 
1. Pick a bow and shoot only it all year.
2. Pick an archery glove and shoot only with it all year.

Charter Member
Reply with quote  #22 
Sam, thank you and a very Happy New Year.

Sun City, Az. by way of San Diego, Ca. Bear TD's Wes Wallace Royal LB, ILF risers and various limbs, Vintage Works 1962 Kodiak reproduction made to my specs

I hunt public land.
OrionII

Reply with quote  #23 
Remind myself to take my time when shooting critters.  I will either get the shot or not.  If i get it, make it a good one.  If not, so be it.  Don't force it.  
hammerstone

Associate Member
Reply with quote  #24 
I have two. # 1 is to shoot  no other style of bow but the ASL.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  # 2 is to get out there more often and , learn as  much as I can about the secret lives of the big woods whitetails I so love to hunt.                                                                                                                    they sure are harder to pattern than those farm landers. 
hammerstone

Associate Member
Reply with quote  #25 
Don't know how that last post got so jumbled up . Guess # 3 should be to improve my computer skills .
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.