photo f2fc6645-3553-483b-b64e-4c19058f6c05_zps121db233.jpg  photo 7B537578-F7C7-4F86-98B8-9F94E0644C33_zpsqirpypxs.jpg  photo jdberry_zpsea01d711.jpg  photo grizzlybroadheads_zps1m2s5rho.jpg  photo banner-kking-160-170_zps48e9d6a9.jpg  photo HolmMadeNewAd_09092014_zpsc4e4691d.jpg  photo truenortharrows_zpsi9ay4gwc.gif  photo 35A0AFC6-0F9E-412C-A64B-EBE54AF0479D_zpsmipyof8e.jpg  photo EEE5CA06-2368-4F2F-A920-0CA562579FE0_zpsm9lvvu1t.jpg  photo northernmist20bcard1_zpssaxw3n46.jpg  photo 072BD871-7553-4294-BBDD-E69370AD1F6A_zpsjismq5n7.jpg                                     photo AFF3B4E3-F518-4092-A4E6-65AE830AB2BE_zpsnuwaaten.jpg  photo f5d37de7-de84-47ad-b248-e8adfe84c5db_zps4oisluth.gif  photo 02c77249-7155-4785-a743-8faf8c694e7a_zpseaj9xlnz.jpg  photo B5D4E580-5A4C-4A25-AC73-D69CDBE82A69_zpsvvtli29v.jpg  photo Dave_shooting_bow_logo202_zpsuskt81vw.jpg  photo image_zps2rrhsrju.jpeg  photo sunsethill_zps551c0207.jpg  photo db77abad-c90f-4ee5-9e34-905fe0c0fd36_zpsleoiybdo.png  photo bigjim_zps76882839.jpg  photo howardhill_large_zps5fd2fcc7.jpg  photo IMG_5966_zpsgrbhwrgb.jpeg  photo Bearpaw_Products_Logo1_zps55d85f33.jpg  photo tradtech_zps697b00c1.jpg  photo a3c08d6f-f669-46b5-8b0c-1480a411cc78_zpsc853b3a6.gif  photo fairbow_zpsc278ec39.jpg  photo F5A4B354-1040-4D43-939F-28ED48F7E5B7_zpsws5ptsc8.jpg  photo coyote track 1_zpshipxn54s.png  photo DF07A98B-41BB-4024-BCF7-A4FCB543D40E_zpsoiduf1m2.png  photo the20footed20shaft_zpsudbyv3ab.jpg  photo blackeaglefinal_zpsfqgqqrcj.png  photo 94936CDE-4CF5-4181-B2F9-FECCA1FE886F_zpsy5nfpirv.jpg photo D49F4739-A11D-4F9D-9D50-4C3EE95E9555_zpswoqwk23o.jpg  photo BF4712C7-9EE6-460F-8380-4E7F08A65416_zpsmluzlgny.jpg  photo bivoucascreenshot_zpscfdgf0n0.jpg  photo 510CA748-680D-4178-8B50-1A4C7F7F895D_zps6b5pjjoc.gif
tradlongbow
Just recently I posted on social media about the term Strugglestick. As a longtime archer and promoter of the sport, I find the term sounds negative because we’re saying it’s a struggle to shoot.

We live in a time where people want instant, faster, and automatic, and the longbow and recurve is none of those things. My intentions was to shed light on a term that could negatively effect how people think of our sport. Already less than 10% of archers shoot longbows and recurves. One day I would like to see that number increase.

I have heard from people that say it doesn’t bother them and I heard from many people that don’t like the term strugglestick.

Let me give you another example:
If we’re out hunting, and you say, I dropped my bow arm when I took that shoot with my old strugglestick. Is it you are the stick?

The bow will only do what we want it to do. If you point left and release the string, the arrow is going to go left. It’s only a stick and string. The struggle maybe between our ears.

Best regards,
Darren Nunez
Founder
Traditional Archery Society

TRADITIONAL BOWHUNTER WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 
Farmland Conservation Club, Winchester, Indiana 

PUBLIC LAND HUNTER
John Schulz Straight Shooting and Bowhunting Graduate
Email: traditionalarcherysociety@yahoo.com

Quote 0
aromakr
Darren;

If some have a problem with that word so be it, you will never please everyone, so as the old saying goes "Don't perspire the minute feces"

Bob
Life Member PBS - Member TBM -Life Member Calif. Big game club - Sponsor Traditional Archery Society
Quote 0
tradlongbow
Bob, The first time I heard the word used was about a year and a half ago. You’re right, I can’t change peoples opinions but I can definitely share mine.

PUBLIC LAND HUNTER

Quote 0
Mike Reilly
It's kinda funny Darren that you mention this as I recently had a conversation with my kids about this. We were listening to a Kifaru podcast as we were driving in the truck to their Tae Kwon Do lessons. Aron Snyder mentions a Trad bow as a "strugglestick" (dude can sure shoot one by the way and I took no offense). My second daughter asked me why he calls it that. Knowing that she likes Star Wars I put it into a context she would understand and said, "Rachael, it's because you've gotta go Jedi to shoot a longbow well".
"Cool", was her response and that was the end of it.
Admittedly cheesy, but she got the point and she was satisfied with the answer!
The reference to strugglestick is typically a self effacing comment made with hidden pride and I accept it as such.
Quote 0
timking
Well said, Mr Reilly!

Dallas, Texas
62" #55 Fox High Sierra 
62" #58 Black Widow MA
64" #56 A&H ACS 
Widowmaker 350 Carbon shafts
200 gr. Iron Will 4 blade

Quote 0
tradlongbow
Mike Reilly wrote:
It's kinda funny Darren that you mention this as I recently had a conversation with my kids about this. We were listening to a Kifaru podcast as we were driving in the truck to their Tae Kwon Do lessons. Aron Snyder mentions a Trad bow as a "strugglestick" (dude can sure shoot one by the way and I took no offense). My second daughter asked me why he calls it that. Knowing that she likes Star Wars I put it into a context she would understand and said, "Rachael, it's because you've gotta go Jedi to shoot a longbow well".
"Cool", was her response and that was the end of it.
Admittedly cheesy, but she got the point and she was satisfied with the answer!
The reference to strugglestick is typically a self effacing comment made with hidden pride and I accept it as such.

Mike,

What you’re doing with your daughter is outstanding and I stand up and applaud you!

I raised 2 kids myself, and my son and daughter still have good memories of us shooting archery and camping together.

Up until a week ago I never knew about Aron as a bowhunter or the Kifaru podcast. I didn’t know that Aron used the term. Since I started talking about the term, I had a phone conversation with Aron yesterday about the term and we shared hunting pictures and had a few laughs.

You proved my point when you had to explain why the term is used. When your daughter asked why they call it a strugglestick, you were able to explain it on the spot. But think about all the people that hears the term being used that don’t have someone to ask. Will those people even want to try something that is coined a strugglestick?

This month we started a Mentor and kids campaign. My mail box has been full with pictures of kids shooting and adults that want to learn archery. Let’s spread the word about archery it’s both challenging and rewarding two words that can be understood without an explanation.

PUBLIC LAND HUNTER

Quote 0
webster2
"Already less than 10% of archers shoot longbows and recurves. One day I would like to see that number increase."

I share your dream of growing traditional archery and really enjoyed the other thread showing pics of children learning to shoot, it brought a smile and 'lol'.  Good for them and kudos to their parents and mentors.  But unfortunately the truth suggests a much different (and discouraging) outcome. 

Most of tomorrow's archers will tote compounds.  Most 'traditional' archers will sport metal-flake target recurves or some facsimile and never set foot in the woods.  Traditional bowhunting concepts will be cannibalized, the choicest (easy) parts retained but the rest tossed or forgotten.  Animal rights movements will grow, as will the sheeple tendencies of a fickle public in believing the myth that hunting is gross and evil.  Stick and string bows (and arrows, and methods) will become faded memories, that path being laid even on 'trad' sites as we speak.  Defending the right to choose 'easy' is far more prevalent than defending the concept of keeping archery simple.  The worst part...the most painful part of all...is that we the current "stick and stringers' are remarkably accepting of giving in to convenience, or are oblivious to it.  We choose and defend the use of aides and technology, then fool ourselves into thinking it's the same simple stick and string as before...like its the same as the old days, when hard was the norm and easy wasn't. 

The term 'struggle stick' has some good and some bad, I know what you mean by it but it does leave an opening for some to associate archery simplicity with archery inferiority... in a 'those dudes can't hit the broad side of a barn' kind of way.  Not what was intended I know, but still something to consider if/when using it.  In any case it doesn't seem to apply well to most of today's trad movement because in today's trad and today's society there isn't much 'struggle' associated with Olympic target recurves or much interest by non-hunters where folks prefer their 'meat' to come wrapped and bloodless, or shaped like a can.

Not to burst the bubble, but without looking through rose-colored glasses today's real-world traditional archery is sadly fading and dying as a challenging art, even within it's own ranks.  That last part is where the real 'struggle' is.

Quote 0
Selden Slider
My thought of the day is you don't want to talk to me.  I've left voicemails for you to call me because I can't get through to you.  I thought maybe something's up but then I see your posts here.  What gives?  Frank 
Charter Member Traditional Archery Society
Quote 0
Jack Skinner
I have used the term "starvation stick" for some time. I have been a successful hunter over the years. But where I struggle is at the 3D range the target range where I think if not a ten every time I am not a successful archer. I am separating my hunting from target. Target I am a average shooter the "struggle" is between my ears, and the struggle is what's more important great scores which just feed my ego, or successful hunting which feeds my family. At this point in my archery life hunting is way more important successful or not.

I have never thought of the bow as a struggle, that would ruin the joy of archery for me.
Jack Skinner

Self Bows, OE's; Heritage, Vixen, Misty Dawn, Heritage II x 2 "The Twins", North Star x 2 Crown Jewel and Cousin It, 7 Lakes SF Carolina Night, Miller Sage, Ramer, Schulz Grandpa, Sunset Hill, Shelton

Cheyenne WY
Quote 0
Mike Reilly
Darren I see your point and at heart don't disagree. Cool that you got to speak to Aron, guys certainly living the dream and I respect his no bs attitude.
Quote 0
Sam
For many, it probably is a strugglestick, especially since so may people today want, expect, and demand instant gratification. That is not what trad archery is all about, at least in my opinion. Most of us accept and welcome the challenge of skills development over time. That is probably a major reason that we are only a small slice of the archery community. We are willing to do the work while the vast majority are not. That is not a bad thing, merely a personal choice. I will readily admit that I take a certain pride in the fact that I have had the perseverance to build my archery skills, limited though they are. Jack Skinner's comment about the trad bow being a "starvation stick" is kinda cute. However, if we had to depend on hunting to survive, most of us would shoot a 30- 06. or really bear down on the practice range to get better with the bow. I am not like some shooters I know. While I take archery seriously, especially when hunting, I am still a big kid going out to play. It is a hobby, something I do for fun. Having fun is never a struggle, but I do understand that some will not feel that way. Traditional archery is probably not a good choice for them, which is fine with me.
Sam McMichael

Gray, GA

"The spirit of the bow dwells in the heart of all young men" - Geronimo

Hill Wesley Special (2, both 65#)
Hill Cheetah (2, one 55# and one 40#)
Hill Big 5 (50#)
NM Shelton (2, both 53#)
Deathwish Longbow (59#)
Archery Traditions Bamboo Longhunter (3, one 56#, one 60# and one 78#)

Quote 0
Orion
First came upon the term about a year ago in an article I edited for a magazine.  For those of us with TP, it probably is a struggle stick.  Regardless, I consider the term a pejorative and don't like or use it.  
Quote 0
chuckc
Darin, you can get all trad and just explain that more modern bows make use of devices that aid and assist in aiming, holding and releasing. The chances for becoming a really good shot are relatively easy and fast, while when using a longbow you generally use " the force" and your learned form, making it much more difficult and taking longer to attain.

BUT...if you work hard and practice it can
be attained. That is why some call it a struggle stick. It is not easy. But think how much better you feel when things work and you know it was you, and not technology, that made that play.
ChuckC

I did too !

Madison, Wisconsin.   Public land hunter
Quote 0
Yehwa
I love my struggle sticks 🏹🏹🏹❤️😂
Quote 0
silverarrow
I’ve never heard or used that term before, but I get frustrated occasionally shooting my traditional equipment., so much so that the thought crossed my mind that maybe I’d be better off shooting a compound. I have no doubt that my problem stems from an eye injury I had 10 years ago. As a result of limited vision in my left eye, I have difficulty with depth perception. My windage is usually about as good as anyone’s. Yes, I know that to shoot instinctive you shouldn’t need to know distances, but I think it matters in your internal computer. No, I did not go out and get a compound. That really wouldn’t solve anything, and it’s not what I want. I’m guessing that most people who do struggle with Trad equipment have similar problems as I. I’m guessing their windage is ok. It’s probably their elevation that they have difficulty with. No, I don’t shoot every day like some people, but I’ve been at this a few decades.
TAS, TBOT member, Buffalo Archery Club, Cypress, Tx.
Dryad/ACS Orion 53#
Great Northern Fireball JK 54#
Northern Mist American TD 51#
Howard Hill, The Big Five (Tim Meigs) 57#
Sovereign Sonoran 58#
Browning Wasp 52#
Ryan Gill Osage Hunter (self bow) 52#
Quote 0
Newell38
Struggling with something doesn’t sound like much fun to me. Isn’t that what archery is all about (fun)? It is for me anways. In a world with an easy button for everything I can’t see a young archer seeing the term “ struggle stick” and say to themselves “hey that sounds awesome, let’s try that”! I’d like to see more young archers drawn in instead of pushed away before they even start because of a “cute” term. Working hard to be good and struggling to be good are two different things IMO. It’s just a term though ...Not a huge fan of it but won’t lose any sleep over it lol.

Club Member Traditional Archery Society
Justin Newell
Hobart, Indiana
Quote 0
JDBERRY
Maybe I am missing the point here, But ... we have used the term "training wheels" for how long?
Medical Lake, Washington State
Quote 0
timking
JDBERRY wrote:
Maybe I am missing the point here, But ... we have used the term "training wheels" for how long?

There is a reason he is referred to as “the wise sage”...

Dallas, Texas
62" #55 Fox High Sierra 
62" #58 Black Widow MA
64" #56 A&H ACS 
Widowmaker 350 Carbon shafts
200 gr. Iron Will 4 blade

Quote 0
Newell38
Yea but it’s not compound guys calling our Bows “struggle sticks”. It’s longbow and recurve guys referring to their own equipment as “struggle sticks”. It has nothing to do with compound Bows?

Club Member Traditional Archery Society
Justin Newell
Hobart, Indiana
Quote 0
tradlongbow
JDBERRY wrote:

JD, Good try but I never heard or seen a compound shooter refer to his bow as a trainingwheel bow. It’s usually guys that don’t shoot components that say that. However, just because I didn’t see it doesn’t mean compound shooters wasn’t saying it so I checked the Internet and there were hash tags were #trainingwheels referred to a compound bow.

PUBLIC LAND HUNTER

Quote 0
EWill
Maybe I'm missing something here but if shootng trad was easy how many of us would do it? It's the challenge to get better, along with the true simplicity of stick and string that draws me to the traditional fraternity. I have had compound shooters tell me that they were thinking of trying trad because the compound is too easy and they are bored with it.
I guess the more I think about it the less I like the term struggle. I do like challenge though.
Bartlesville Ok.

I don't like to be high, low, left, or right.
Quote 0
Draven
Darren, I see Strugglestick just as a nickname. If I would be worried how everybody is calling their failures I would be already dead due to heart attack. And look at the bright side too: it is a subliminal warning that "is different". "Different" is good and attractive in my book.
"Practice not until you get it right, practice until you can't get it wrong." - Unknown
Quote 0
alex123
Think we just need a sense of humour about it... Its just a name... and certainly how I feel about it sometimes.. 😉
Quote 2
Dale Rohrbeck
Never heard the term in my neck of the woods.
Quote 0
macatawa
"training wheels"

Its just a condescending term we trad folk have adopted to refer to (here is another one) "the other side".

Personally I believe that kind of chatter should not belong to us.  Why even go there?

We love what we love...and that IS good enough, ya think?
Quote 1