photo f2fc6645-3553-483b-b64e-4c19058f6c05_zps121db233.jpg  photo 7B537578-F7C7-4F86-98B8-9F94E0644C33_zpsqirpypxs.jpg  photo jdberry_zpsea01d711.jpg  photo grizzlybroadheads_zps1m2s5rho.jpg  photo banner-kking-160-170_zps48e9d6a9.jpg  photo HolmMadeNewAd_09092014_zpsc4e4691d.jpg  photo truenortharrows_zpsi9ay4gwc.gif  photo 35A0AFC6-0F9E-412C-A64B-EBE54AF0479D_zpsmipyof8e.jpg  photo EEE5CA06-2368-4F2F-A920-0CA562579FE0_zpsm9lvvu1t.jpg  photo northernmist20bcard1_zpssaxw3n46.jpg  photo 072BD871-7553-4294-BBDD-E69370AD1F6A_zpsjismq5n7.jpg                                     photo AFF3B4E3-F518-4092-A4E6-65AE830AB2BE_zpsnuwaaten.jpg  photo f5d37de7-de84-47ad-b248-e8adfe84c5db_zps4oisluth.gif  photo 02c77249-7155-4785-a743-8faf8c694e7a_zpseaj9xlnz.jpg  photo B5D4E580-5A4C-4A25-AC73-D69CDBE82A69_zpsvvtli29v.jpg  photo Dave_shooting_bow_logo202_zpsuskt81vw.jpg  photo image_zps2rrhsrju.jpeg  photo sunsethill_zps551c0207.jpg  photo db77abad-c90f-4ee5-9e34-905fe0c0fd36_zpsleoiybdo.png  photo bigjim_zps76882839.jpg  photo howardhill_large_zps5fd2fcc7.jpg  photo IMG_5966_zpsgrbhwrgb.jpeg  photo Bearpaw_Products_Logo1_zps55d85f33.jpg  photo tradtech_zps697b00c1.jpg  photo a3c08d6f-f669-46b5-8b0c-1480a411cc78_zpsc853b3a6.gif  photo fairbow_zpsc278ec39.jpg  photo F5A4B354-1040-4D43-939F-28ED48F7E5B7_zpsws5ptsc8.jpg  photo coyote track 1_zpshipxn54s.png  photo DF07A98B-41BB-4024-BCF7-A4FCB543D40E_zpsoiduf1m2.png  photo the20footed20shaft_zpsudbyv3ab.jpg  photo blackeaglefinal_zpsfqgqqrcj.png  photo 94936CDE-4CF5-4181-B2F9-FECCA1FE886F_zpsy5nfpirv.jpg photo D49F4739-A11D-4F9D-9D50-4C3EE95E9555_zpswoqwk23o.jpg  photo BF4712C7-9EE6-460F-8380-4E7F08A65416_zpsmluzlgny.jpg  photo bivoucascreenshot_zpscfdgf0n0.jpg  photo 510CA748-680D-4178-8B50-1A4C7F7F895D_zps6b5pjjoc.gif
Traditional Archers | Bowhunters

Author   Comment  
tradlongbow

Administrator
Reply with quote  #1 
I want to announce this here first🎯

T.A.S. State Trad Bowhunter Championships

To further promote the sport of archery and the use of longbows and recurves worldwide. In 2020, Traditional Archery Society will offer State Championships across the globe to compliment the Regional Championships and World Championship.

Clubs that are interested in hosting a state or regional championship should contact TAS early as possible.

Best regards,
Darren Nunez
Founder, Traditional Archery Society
Email:traditionalarcherysociety@yahoo.com
http://www.traditionalarcherysociety.com

TRADITIONAL BOWHUNTER WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 
Farmland Conservation Club, Winchester, Indiana 

PUBLIC LAND HUNTER
John Schulz Straight Shooting and Bowhunting Graduate
Email: traditionalarcherysociety@yahoo.com

Vaguely

TAS Upgrade Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Darren, Sent you an email
Bud B.

Charter Member
Reply with quote  #3 
NC is in. Keep in touch, Darren.

Administrator
Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud B.
NC is in. Keep in touch, Darren.

Bud, I talked to Lee yesterday on the phone. North Carolina is going to have a big event!

PUBLIC LAND HUNTER

webster2

Reply with quote  #5 
What would be the set-up and rules of a 'traditional bowhunter' championship?  How would it differ from those of a conventional target shooting competition like those routinely held by formal target archery organizations (NFAA, ASA, WA, IBO, etc.) ?

(followup)  Sorry, I just saw the TAS Rules list.  Overall the rules look well-structured, but a few comments/questions:

1.)  Rules say that all shooting groups must have an 'outsider' as a scorer or the group can't shoot (outsider being someone unknown to the group, assumably a lone stranger that has no group to shoot with).  I see the intent, but isn't the availability of a lone stranger rather unlikely at these events? 

2.)  Rules say no cell phones on the range, but what about participants that have an ongoing important family or business issue that requires regular monitoring/availability?

3.)  Rules say arrows must be identical in weight.  For wood arrow users this can pose an issue since rarely do woodies weigh exactly the same even if of the same spine.  From a practical sense, weight differences of less than 10 grains or so between arrows should be attainable and pose no real issues, and so should be allowed.

4.)  Rules say no sighting devices of any kind are allowed, a good rule for this venue.  I assume the tip of the arrow is considered a sighting device since the arrows themselves have to be identical in length and the arrow tip is essentially an available/alignable sighting device on every shot.  If it's not considered a sighting device, why allow some shooters to aim with their arrow tips but not allow other sighting devices?  Although not a complete fix, to help address this issue (i.e., to help level the field) the rules could/should be adjusted to require that arrows (i.e., arrow BOP) cannot extend more than 1" beyond the back of the bow. 

5.)  Rules for the HSL class allow straight limbs only, which essentially disqualifies most Hill-style ASL bows since typically they have either setback or string-follow limbs (neither of which are straight).  Is this an oversight? 

6.)  The OC class allows stabilizers, plungers, clickers, string-walking, fixed crawl, and face-walking...strange allowances given that these kinds of setups are primarily applied for target archery competitions and this one is titled/geared for bowhunters.  Doesn't this confuse the intent of the event?    

tradlongbow

Administrator
Reply with quote  #6 
Hello Webster,

This year is our 5th Trad Bowhunter World Championship, and this year TAS has 6 Regional Championships scheduled, one of those events is an International Championship located in Mexico.

1.) Rules say that all shooting groups must have an 'outsider' as a scorer or the group can't shoot (outsider being someone unknown to the group, assumably a lone stranger that has no group to shoot with). I see the intent, but isn't the availability of a lone stranger rather unlikely at these events?

No. It has not been.

2.) Rules say no cell phones on the range, but what about participants that have an ongoing important family or business issue that requires regular monitoring/availability?

Answer: It clearly states cell phones can be used in an emergency.

b. Using a cell phone on the shooting range. Cell phones are only to be used when the group decides there is an emergency requiring such use. Upon entering a range, all cell phones are to be switched off.

3.) Rules say arrows must be identical in weight. For wood arrow users this can pose an issue since rarely do woodies weigh exactly the same even if of the same spine. From a practical sense, weight differences of less than 10 grains or so between arrows should be attainable and pose no real issues, and so should be allowed.

Answer:Historically, when considering wood arrows +/- 10 grains is acceptable.

4) Rules say no sighting devices of any kind are allowed, a good rule for this venue. I assume the tip of the arrow is considered a sighting device since the arrows themselves have to be identical in length and the arrow tip is essentially an available/alignable sighting device on every shot. If it's not considered a sighting device, why allow some shooters to aim with their arrow tips but not allow other sighting devices? Although not a complete fix, to help address this issue (i.e., to help level the field) the rules could/should be adjusted to require that arrows (i.e., arrow BOP) cannot extend more than 1" beyond the back of the bow.

Answer: The rule states “No sighting Devices” only.

It would be hard to enforce and prove if a shooter is using the tip of the arrow, top of the shelf, the fadeout on the belly side of the bow, Index finger, or etc…

5.) Rules for the HSL class allow straight limbs only, which essentially disqualifies most Hill-style ASL bows since typically they have either setback or string-follow limbs (neither of which are straight). Is this an oversight?

Answer: Hill Style Longbows are considered straight limbed. Backset and stringfollow are still straight. R/D is not straight.

6.) The OC class allows stabilizers, plungers, clickers, string-walking, fixed crawl, and face-walking...strange allowances given that these kinds of setups are primarily applied for target archery competitions and this one is titled/geared for bowhunters. Doesn't this confuse the intent of the event?

Answer:
No. You may be surprised because there’s many archers that hunt with stabilizers and plungers. They are also hunters that use string-walking, fixed crawl, and face-walking. I know a hunter years ago that made an audible clicker that he used with an ear piece.

PUBLIC LAND HUNTER

webster2

Reply with quote  #7 
I appreciate the responses, tradlongbow.  I don't agree with some of the answers, but I do appreciate that you responded.
tradlongbow

Administrator
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by webster2
I appreciate the responses, tradlongbow.  I don't agree with some of the answers, but I do appreciate that you responded.

No problem.

PUBLIC LAND HUNTER

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.