photo f2fc6645-3553-483b-b64e-4c19058f6c05_zps121db233.jpg  photo 7B537578-F7C7-4F86-98B8-9F94E0644C33_zpsqirpypxs.jpg  photo jdberry_zpsea01d711.jpg  photo grizzlybroadheads_zps1m2s5rho.jpg  photo banner-kking-160-170_zps48e9d6a9.jpg  photo HolmMadeNewAd_09092014_zpsc4e4691d.jpg  photo truenortharrows_zpsi9ay4gwc.gif  photo 35A0AFC6-0F9E-412C-A64B-EBE54AF0479D_zpsmipyof8e.jpg  photo EEE5CA06-2368-4F2F-A920-0CA562579FE0_zpsm9lvvu1t.jpg  photo northernmist20bcard1_zpssaxw3n46.jpg  photo 072BD871-7553-4294-BBDD-E69370AD1F6A_zpsjismq5n7.jpg                                     photo AFF3B4E3-F518-4092-A4E6-65AE830AB2BE_zpsnuwaaten.jpg  photo f5d37de7-de84-47ad-b248-e8adfe84c5db_zps4oisluth.gif  photo 02c77249-7155-4785-a743-8faf8c694e7a_zpseaj9xlnz.jpg  photo B5D4E580-5A4C-4A25-AC73-D69CDBE82A69_zpsvvtli29v.jpg  photo Dave_shooting_bow_logo202_zpsuskt81vw.jpg  photo image_zps2rrhsrju.jpeg  photo sunsethill_zps551c0207.jpg  photo db77abad-c90f-4ee5-9e34-905fe0c0fd36_zpsleoiybdo.png  photo bigjim_zps76882839.jpg  photo howardhill_large_zps5fd2fcc7.jpg  photo IMG_5966_zpsgrbhwrgb.jpeg  photo Bearpaw_Products_Logo1_zps55d85f33.jpg  photo tradtech_zps697b00c1.jpg  photo a3c08d6f-f669-46b5-8b0c-1480a411cc78_zpsc853b3a6.gif  photo fairbow_zpsc278ec39.jpg  photo F5A4B354-1040-4D43-939F-28ED48F7E5B7_zpsws5ptsc8.jpg  photo coyote track 1_zpshipxn54s.png  photo DF07A98B-41BB-4024-BCF7-A4FCB543D40E_zpsoiduf1m2.png  photo the20footed20shaft_zpsudbyv3ab.jpg  photo blackeaglefinal_zpsfqgqqrcj.png  photo 94936CDE-4CF5-4181-B2F9-FECCA1FE886F_zpsy5nfpirv.jpg photo D49F4739-A11D-4F9D-9D50-4C3EE95E9555_zpswoqwk23o.jpg  photo BF4712C7-9EE6-460F-8380-4E7F08A65416_zpsmluzlgny.jpg  photo bivoucascreenshot_zpscfdgf0n0.jpg  photo 510CA748-680D-4178-8B50-1A4C7F7F895D_zps6b5pjjoc.gif
Traditional Archers | Bowhunters

Author   Comment  
tradlongbow

Administrator
Reply with quote  #1 
Fred Bear stated he shot the same bow for 10+ years, Howard Hill shot Grandpa and Grandma for many years.

What’s the longest you shot one bow?

TRADITIONAL BOWHUNTER WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 
Farmland Conservation Club, Winchester, Indiana 

PUBLIC LAND HUNTER
John Schulz Straight Shooting and Bowhunting Graduate
Email: traditionalarcherysociety@yahoo.com

Arrow Hunter

Reply with quote  #2 
I got my black widow SA in 1995. That was the only bow I shot until 2016 when I picked up a black creek banshee hybrid bow. I couldn’t shoot that bow well so didn’t give it much time. I picked up a maddog prairie predator in November, smooth and fast for a little light weight bow. Still, couldn’t get used to the light weight. Then in December I got bit by the ASL bug and a whole new world opened up. I got two NM bows, a Sprague and an American. I love both but cannot stop shooting the Sprague. Oh, and the side effect of that ASL bug is that I am much more accurate with my other bows than before. Go figure. The Sprague will be hunting white tails next season.
longcruise

Club Member
Reply with quote  #3 
I acquired a Ben Pearson in 1970 and shot it exclusively until 1983 with the exception of a compound that I played with for two years.   The BP is still in the family but I'm not sure who claims it.   [smile]

Reply with quote  #4 
I've gone thru several favorites...in the past year. Life's too short to shoot just one bow. Besides...i already done tuned arrows to my latest, now what do I have to do to keep me busy.

Charter Member Traditional Archery Society

I did too !

Madison, Wisconsin.   Public land hunter
Clovis6

TAS Upgrade Member
Reply with quote  #5 
I only shot my 72", #70, Don Adams English Longbow from 1984-2014. Since then I have probably owned and shot 30-35 different bows, some of them as few as 2-3 times before I sold them. The only bow I have owned and shot regularly this entire 6 year period is my JD Berry Heritage.

Shooting right now (Sep 2020): 
Northern Mist Sprague Longbow, 66", #52
Bodnik Mohawk Chief Longbow, 62", #50
Black Widow PTFX Recurve, 60", #50

Doylestown, PA / Reston, VA
timking

TAS Upgrade Member
Reply with quote  #6 
I shot a #73 JDBerry Apollo exclusively for about 20 years , and killed a lot of critters with it.....if it had been about #10 lighter it would saved me a LOT of money....as fine of a bow as I’ve ever shot

Dallas, Texas
62" #55 Fox High Sierra 
62" #58 Black Widow MA
64" #56 A&H ACS 
Widowmaker 350 Carbon shafts
200 gr. Iron Will 4 blade

Tradslinger

Reply with quote  #7 
I have a 50 # no name recurve that I picked up around 1985. I have shot a ton of fish and other critters with it and still shoot it some but it is now over bowed for me. Right now I am very happy with my Ausable 45# longbow. the no name bow is still an awesome bow and I will keep it forever if I can. But for just sheer fun and what I love to hunt with is the longbow. 
"But a man drew his bow without taking special aim and struck the king of Israel through the joints of his armor." 1 Kings 22:34
Hud

Reply with quote  #8 
I purchased a new Howard Hill Longbow from Hugh Rich in 1962, it is 69", 72# @ 28".  Hugh ordered from Shawnee, I believe it was built by Darling, it has a radius back (black) and white belly. I shot it until 1988 (26 yrs), when I built one that is 69#. I still have both.
Ray_G

Reply with quote  #9 
Sunset Hill that Nate made for me in 2009. It is still the only bow that I have after selling a couple of R/D bows.
It is a trustworthy companion.

Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PUBLIC LAND HUNTER
Kimberly, Idaho

tradlongbow

Administrator
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by timking
I shot a #73 JDBerry Apollo exclusively for about 20 years , and killed a lot of critters with it.....if it had been about #10 lighter it would saved me a LOT of money....as fine of a bow as I’ve ever shot

Tim, do you still own this bow?

PUBLIC LAND HUNTER

timking

TAS Upgrade Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Its still in the family
I gave it to Jake, Hes a beast

Dallas, Texas
62" #55 Fox High Sierra 
62" #58 Black Widow MA
64" #56 A&H ACS 

eddie c

Charter Member
Reply with quote  #12 
I'm basically a 1 bow guy. I don't remember when my LB was made, the bowyer didn't put the date in the bow but I shot it 5-6 years before I made my selfbow in 2018. Except for shooting one of the other bows on occasion, I've only been shooting my selfbow since then.
Tom M

Charter Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Same as Chuck for me. I usually take 2 bows when I go to the range, one recurve, and my LB. Also a few dozen arrows. Lately even at 3D shoots, I shoot half with a recurve, half with my LB. I am realizing at the ranges, about 30-35 yards at most, there isn’t much difference in my shooting. That may change as I am considering getting back into field archery. 

Sun City, Az. by way of San Diego, Ca. Bear TD's Wes Wallace Royal LB, ILF risers and various limbs, Vintage Works 1962 Kodiak reproduction made to my specs

I hunt public land.
tradlongbow

Administrator
Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom M
Same as Chuck for me. I usually take 2 bows when I go to the range, one recurve, and my LB. Also a few dozen arrows. Lately even at 3D shoots, I shoot half with a recurve, half with my LB. I am realizing at the ranges, about 30-35 yards at most, there isn’t much difference in my shooting. That may change as I am considering getting back into field archery. 

Tom, I used to enjoy shooting Field. I got out of it because of so few shoots and lack of participation. There was only 2 shoots a year, Regional and State Championships. Most of the Trad shooters would rather shoot 3-D.

PUBLIC LAND HUNTER

Clydebow

Reply with quote  #15 
I'm thinking my Sky SkyHawk.  Really can't remember how long. 
Bigmagic

Reply with quote  #16 
That would be my Martin Mountaineer. I shot that one almost every day for just over 3 years. Fast forward 20 years and still love to shoot her. She's stout but I don't mind one bit. 
James Donahue

Reply with quote  #17 
shot a John Schulz with setback from the early 80's until about 2005- 

just use it occasionaly now- don't want anything to happen to it

Main bow now is a NM American- that dude is a real shooter

Associate Member
Reply with quote  #18 
I shot an 80# Skookum by Fred Anderson in the 80's.  Then my shoulder told me to go lighter so in 2000 I got a 54#Hyack Special also by Fred.  after 18 years my shoulder scolded me again.  Fred was no longer taking orders so I got a beautiful 41# Black Canyon from Mike Hayes.  Love it.  It's my new go to bow.

Reply with quote  #19 

I suppose that should I be completely honest with myself, I am using this post to make myself feel better by dumping my angst on others (i.e., at the expense of others).  I like the idea or concept of “one bow” that one essentially marries followed by the lifetime commitment leading to familiarity, ultimate understanding, and finally a special intimacy.  Each time I believe that I have found “the one” something comes along that causes me to change.  I am a fickle archer.  So far, I have not remained true to any one bow for a long period of time.

My current favorite bow at least in the sense of my joy from its usage is my 64” 45# @ my draw length HHA Legend Stick longbow, yet multiple times each day I have been shooting my 60” 55# @ my draw length Bear Super Kodiak recurve for about a week.

There is nothing really wrong with the Bear Super Kodiak.  I originally purchased it because of romantic memories from watching Fred Bear often using it or the take-down version on a Saturday TV show as a kid.  I learned that as a firsthand reality that I did not like the bulky cumbersome shape or grip design.  However, it draws very smoothly, seems much easier to hold at full draw than 55#, seems to hit exactly where I aim better than most of my bows, it seems relatively fast, and it seem powerful.  It really is not heavy.  The shortness is handy.  Although it seems bulky to me, it does have a rather handsome appearance in its own way.  Its true fault is its noisiness.  I do not know whether this is characteristic of all Bear Super Kodiaks or just my individual specimen.  I have tried all the standard methods individually or in combinations to quiet this bow (e.g., brace height adjustments, limb padding, string silencers, etc.).  I can change the tone, but I can’t create a pleasingly quiet bow.

Why am I currently shooting the Bear Super Kodiak then?  I am shooting it because it has a long wide arrow rest.

I was born with an essential tremor.   As expected from all the males that came before me in my family, my tremor will continually get generally worse with age plus I will have periods of unusual severity as well as periods of relative remission periods (less severe, but never absence).  I refuse medications due to the long term consequences.  I am currently experiencing a bad tremor spell.  Lately I shake so badly while drawing my bow (draw weight does not significantly affect this) that I spend so much time keeping the arrow on my ASL’s shallow arrow rest that I am too exhausted to aim and shoot properly (leads to snap shooting).  The long wide arrow rest on my Bear Super Kodiak makes drawing the bow and holding it at full-draw very easy for me.  I hope and expect this to be a temporary hiatus from my fidelity to my ASL.  But I will continue to stray with this affair with the Bear Super Kodiak as long as necessary.

In the case that anyone is wondering, my unsteady sight picture during hold does not affect my accuracy much at distances less than 20 yards.  No it is not “rock-steady”, but it also is not really that bad.  It is comparable to shooting off hand with a rifle compared to shooting the rifle from a bench rest.

Bear Montana Longbows 30#, 40#, & 50#
Lemonwood Self-Bow Longbow 30#
Ben Pearson Pony Longbow/Semi-Recurve 30# (Purchased New Summer 1966)
Ben Pearson Super Jet Recurve (All Fiberglass) 45# (New Jan. 1970)
Bear Super Kodiak Recurve 55#

PROUDLY an Irredeemable Deplorable

Winter Hawk

Associate Member
Reply with quote  #20 
I bought a 45 lb. Indian Savage in 1966 when I was going to Alaska for college.  That was the only bow I had and I shot it off and on (poorly, I might add) until I bought a 50 lb. Bear Montana about 6 years ago.  What a difference THAT made!  I take out the Indian once in a while but my shooting is just as erratic with it now as it was before.  The Montana is by far the better bow for me.  I console myself that H. Hill also said he couldn't shoot a recurve! [biggrin]
timking

TAS Upgrade Member
Reply with quote  #21 

Fallhunt, sounds like you have a built in reason to ‘cheat’! I have never though of how tremors could affect your ability to shoot, but I’m glad you found a way to work around it.

As for the noise from the SK, I have no experience. But have I quietened about every recurve made, and brace height is usually the key, even an 1/8 can make a big difference. There is a product called Stiktamers that help a lot also, so do Limbsavers. 

I hope you come to enjoy the curve and it’s not just a work around....better yet, that your physical condition improves and your Legend Stik gets back in the rotation 

Dallas, Texas
62" #55 Fox High Sierra 
62" #58 Black Widow MA
64" #56 A&H ACS 

Fallhunt

Reply with quote  #22 
Quote:
Originally Posted by timking

Fallhunt, sounds like you have a built in reason to ‘cheat’! I have never though of how tremors could affect your ability to shoot, but I’m glad you found a way to work around it.

As for the noise from the SK, I have no experience. But have I quietened about every recurve made, and brace height is usually the key, even an 1/8 can make a big difference. There is a product called Stiktamers that help a lot also, so do Limbsavers. 

I hope you come to enjoy the curve and it’s not just a work around....better yet, that your physical condition improves and your Legend Stik gets back in the rotation 

Thanks for your comments, suggestions, and good wishes.[smile]

Bear Montana Longbows 30#, 40#, & 50#
Lemonwood Self-Bow Longbow 30#
Ben Pearson Pony Longbow/Semi-Recurve 30# (Purchased New Summer 1966)
Ben Pearson Super Jet Recurve (All Fiberglass) 45# (New Jan. 1970)
Bear Super Kodiak Recurve 55#

PROUDLY an Irredeemable Deplorable

Sam

Reply with quote  #23 
I have never been a believer that I should ever limit myself to one bow. A bow is a tool, so I don't feel there is a "requirement" to stay with it. Granted, I have gone through numerous favorites, but I have always had a desire to try other bows. Variety is just one of the fun aspects of archery.

Gray, GA

"The spirit of the bow dwells in the heart of all young men" - Geronimo

Hill Wesley Special (2, both 65#)
Hill Cheetah (2, one 55# and one 40#)
Hill Big 5 (50#)
NM Shelton (2, both 53#)
Deathwish Longbow (59#)
Archery Traditions Bamboo Longhunter (3, one 56#, one 60# and one 78#)

Harmless Dave

TAS Upgrade Member
Reply with quote  #24 
Hi,
Have only one bow.  Been shooting it since I bought it new in 1964.  Still not very good.  Self taught - poor teacher!!

Harmless Dave
Pfafftown, NC

chuckc

Reply with quote  #25 
Dave. Look for a 3d shoot near you and go visit. Ask the club who might give you some help. A little (good) guidance helps a lot.

Charter Member Traditional Archery Society

I did too !

Madison, Wisconsin.   Public land hunter
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.