photo f2fc6645-3553-483b-b64e-4c19058f6c05_zps121db233.jpg  photo 7B537578-F7C7-4F86-98B8-9F94E0644C33_zpsqirpypxs.jpg  photo jdberry_zpsea01d711.jpg  photo grizzlybroadheads_zps1m2s5rho.jpg  photo banner-kking-160-170_zps48e9d6a9.jpg  photo HolmMadeNewAd_09092014_zpsc4e4691d.jpg  photo truenortharrows_zpsi9ay4gwc.gif  photo 35A0AFC6-0F9E-412C-A64B-EBE54AF0479D_zpsmipyof8e.jpg  photo EEE5CA06-2368-4F2F-A920-0CA562579FE0_zpsm9lvvu1t.jpg  photo northernmist20bcard1_zpssaxw3n46.jpg  photo 072BD871-7553-4294-BBDD-E69370AD1F6A_zpsjismq5n7.jpg                                     photo AFF3B4E3-F518-4092-A4E6-65AE830AB2BE_zpsnuwaaten.jpg  photo f5d37de7-de84-47ad-b248-e8adfe84c5db_zps4oisluth.gif  photo 02c77249-7155-4785-a743-8faf8c694e7a_zpseaj9xlnz.jpg  photo B5D4E580-5A4C-4A25-AC73-D69CDBE82A69_zpsvvtli29v.jpg  photo Dave_shooting_bow_logo202_zpsuskt81vw.jpg  photo image_zps2rrhsrju.jpeg  photo sunsethill_zps551c0207.jpg  photo db77abad-c90f-4ee5-9e34-905fe0c0fd36_zpsleoiybdo.png  photo bigjim_zps76882839.jpg  photo howardhill_large_zps5fd2fcc7.jpg  photo IMG_5966_zpsgrbhwrgb.jpeg  photo Bearpaw_Products_Logo1_zps55d85f33.jpg  photo tradtech_zps697b00c1.jpg  photo a3c08d6f-f669-46b5-8b0c-1480a411cc78_zpsc853b3a6.gif  photo fairbow_zpsc278ec39.jpg  photo F5A4B354-1040-4D43-939F-28ED48F7E5B7_zpsws5ptsc8.jpg  photo coyote track 1_zpshipxn54s.png  photo DF07A98B-41BB-4024-BCF7-A4FCB543D40E_zpsoiduf1m2.png  photo the20footed20shaft_zpsudbyv3ab.jpg  photo blackeaglefinal_zpsfqgqqrcj.png  photo 94936CDE-4CF5-4181-B2F9-FECCA1FE886F_zpsy5nfpirv.jpg photo D49F4739-A11D-4F9D-9D50-4C3EE95E9555_zpswoqwk23o.jpg  photo BF4712C7-9EE6-460F-8380-4E7F08A65416_zpsmluzlgny.jpg  photo bivoucascreenshot_zpscfdgf0n0.jpg  photo 510CA748-680D-4178-8B50-1A4C7F7F895D_zps6b5pjjoc.gif
Traditional Archers | Bowhunters

Poll Results

Should you shoot recurves?
 Shooting a recurve is an unnatural act, but I don't judge 5 62%
 Shooting a recurve is hard, but the hunting benefits are usually worth it 1 12%
 Shooting a recurve is better than having sex, especially at my age 2 25%
Multiple choice poll. Total votes: 8. This poll has been closed.

Author   Comment  
Clovis6

TAS Upgrade Member
Reply with quote  #1 
If God had intended for bows to have curves, he wouldn't have made tree trunks straight.  There, I said it.  Ã°Å¸Ëœâ€žÃ°Å¸Ëœâ€ 

Okay, so since I couldn't make it out to the TAS Worlds this week, I have hung up the "target" bows and gone straight to my hunting setups. Twice this week I've had a great day on the 3D range with my 66", #52 NM Sprague reverse handle longbow and have been struggling immensely with my 58", #49 Bob Lee Blackhawk recurve. The brace height and nock point all seem right and both carbon and wood arrows fly well out of the bow.  I just can't get any consistency in how I shoot it. I shoot 3-4" groups at 20 yards with the Sprague, but totally missed a couple targets at 15 yards with the Blackhawk. How is that even possible? I really want to improve how I shoot this bow because it's probably coming down to London Oaks with me for an exotic hunt the first week in December. But not if I can't figure it out in the next few weeks. Plan B is a 62" BW PSAX that pulls #46@28.  Have a couple of other one-piece choices, but since I'm flying I really need to stick with a takedown. The Sprague is a TD, but it's just challenging to shoot it inside Tim's blinds. Have a 62", #49 TD Whisper that is my other LB choice.

So I'm done whining. I guess I'm just interested in whether folks think I should keep trying to figure out how to shoot the recurve or declare it a fool's errand and stick with longbows.  I am sure there iare least one or two guys out there who have faced this decision or one similar to it.  

I set up a poll on the top of the post in case you want to weigh in anonymously.

Shooting right now (Sep 2020): 
Northern Mist Sprague Longbow, 66", #52
Bodnik Mohawk Chief Longbow, 62", #50
Black Widow PTFX Recurve, 60", #50

Doylestown, PA / Reston, VA
fewfeathers

Club Member
Reply with quote  #2 
String angle? For me, life begins at 62" + for recurves, 66" + for longbows. Also, check your tab. I've had a worn tab hang up on the string causing some wild misses.
You might try shooting your Blackhawk  with two fingers.  
tradlongbow

Administrator
Reply with quote  #3 
Bob, The Black Widow seems like the best choice. The 62” length will be fine inside a ground blind and at 46# that’s all you need for deer. I would take the BW and start working on form. 

TRADITIONAL BOWHUNTER WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 
Farmland Conservation Club, Winchester, Indiana 

PUBLIC LAND HUNTER
John Schulz Straight Shooting and Bowhunting Graduate
Email: traditionalarcherysociety@yahoo.com

Draven

Club Member
Reply with quote  #4 
I voted 1 since it is true. The natural tendency is to grab the bow by the handle like you would grab a longbow ... and from here all the bad things come if the recurve handle is not for you. I've started with a yumi which is a recurve, but the handle is the stick itself - it is a selfbow with curled tips. 

PS Shoot the recurves you have like a longbow and you will get better results. Cant it until it feels right in your hand. If it needs to be at 45, so be it. 

Reply with quote  #5 
I can shoot a  recurve fine and can get perty good with it if I shoot it a bit

BUT----- a ASL style longbow  just hits naturaly for me ---consistantly more accurate with it and it just feels natural

a hybred longbow kinda between  the two in feel  - for me  (don't really like them )

TAS Upgrade Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Donahue
...a hybrid longbow kinda between the two [recurve & longbow] in feel  - for me  (don't really like them )

Have a 60", #44 Lonestar 50's-style recurve in the mail from Jim Belcher over at Bivouac Bow Co.. Expect it will be a more natural feel for me than either the Bob Lee or the BW grips. If nothing else, with green glass and a green riser it will be fun to just look at.

Shick

Charter Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Without getting 'too deep', I can shoot a recurve rather well;  but I prefer the 'right' longbow better.
Shick
Tom M

Charter Member
Reply with quote  #8 
I didn’t vote because at 20 yards and under I don’t have any real issues shooting either my recurves or my R/D LB. BUT, if push came to shove I would take the LB hunting simply because it is dead quite especially with wood arrows. Now my easiest recurve to shoot is my Bear Mag riser and with its slimmer grip that maybe why I have little issues switching back and forth. My bow hand seems to “remember “ how to hold/grip the risers. Sounds corny but it works for me

Sun City, Az. by way of San Diego, Ca. Bear TD's Wes Wallace Royal LB, ILF risers and various limbs, Vintage Works 1962 Kodiak reproduction made to my specs

I hunt public land.
Sam

Reply with quote  #9 
I started out shooting recurves, but after discovering the longbow, I never looked back.. I just enjoy it more than a curve, but I know a lot of guys who are much more comfortable with a recurve.

Gray, GA

"The spirit of the bow dwells in the heart of all young men" - Geronimo

Hill Wesley Special (2, both 65#)
Hill Cheetah (2, one 55# and one 40#)
Hill Big 5 (50#)
NM Shelton (2, both 53#)
Deathwish Longbow (59#)
Archery Traditions Bamboo Longhunter (3, one 56#, one 60# and one 78#)

timking

TAS Upgrade Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Rob,
I am going to attempt to ignore your thread title, and address your comments, because they are slightly more rational.

I know there are TONS of guys on here that PREFER longbows to recurves, but I don't know that I have ever seen anyone that couldn't shoot a recurve better given they approach it with an open mind (again, setting aside preferences, which I totally get). As much as I try to enjoy longbows, psychologically I tell myself I shoot curves better. I suspect this is happening to you, the romance of a longbow has you under its spell, and I think that you should bring those 'unnatural' curvy bows of yours to the ranch, and I will take them off of your hands!
I actually hope you do bring both, because I would like to see with my own eyes the results you describe....I suspect you are subconsciously throwing errant arrows to achieve the desired results. An ideology is a strong motivator, and often causes us to deny the obvious...I should stop before I get political!
For the record, we have several setups now(thanks to many hours of hard work by Bisch) that will accommodate your longbows.

Also, I would have answered #3 on you survey, if it hadn't had the "especially at my age" on it... At least my recurve is ALWAYS in the mood....

Dallas, Texas
62" #55 Fox High Sierra 
62" #58 Black Widow MA
64" #56 A&H ACS 
Widowmaker 350 Carbon shafts
200 gr. Iron Will 4 blade

Steve

Reply with quote  #11 
Clovis, you still have that 57 kodiak? That seems like a good balance between both. If i remember correctly you shot that bow really well.

Reply with quote  #12 

Shooting any Trad bow straight up and down is unnatural. Bows just fit in your hand with a natural cant!!!! 

Bisch

Primal Tech longbow 50#@29”
Primal Tech recurve 50#@29”
Sarrels Blueridge longbow 50#@29”
Sarrels Bobcatt TD recurve 50#@29.5"
Rob Green selfbow 47#@29”
Lonnie Dye composite 48#@29”

I hail from about 4hrs southwest of Tim King! [biggrin]
Dragonheart

Charter Member
Reply with quote  #13 
I cant the bow some...longbow and recurve.  Broadheads and field points...
In some ways the recurve is easier to shoot, depending on the recurve. 

There are guys that due to release issues have difficulty with the sensitivity of recurve limbs.  I have found I am not a fan of the super static super curve bows.  I did only try one example, but it is the dragster of trad bows and just too touchy for me on minor form errors.  Too sensitive for me.  Those are the most extreme example of recurve and the popular new limb design.  The happy middle is probably ideal in a hunting bow for most archers. 

Howard Hill tried them all and wrote about the longbow working for him.  In contemporary bow-hunters, Ed Ashby wrote about this in an article about the ACS longbow and his struggles to shoot a recurve accurately in hunting shots.  http://www.acsbows.com/shooting-the-acs-cx-longbow/

Recurve worked well for Bear, Schafer, and many others.  

Keith Bain was one of those fellas that could shoot equally well, maybe a touch better with a longbow, but he was very accurate with the Black Widow recurve.  Once saw him smoke a course in Austin beating a guy shooing an olympic recurve face walkin little carbon arrows and shooting like 38 pounds, Keith with woodies and I believe one Pat Ley's Sley longbows.

For a bowhunter, I would ask how do you shoot under the pressure of a killing shot?  Shoot the middle...Jeff

tFJQizn.jpg 

TAS Upgrade Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisch

Shooting any Trad bow straight up and down is unnatural. Bows just fit in your hand with a natural cant!!!! 

Bisch

Sometimes you just need to think through a problem.  With a little help from your friends....

Woke up this morning with the words "It's not the bow, it's the arrows." screaming at me in my head.  Grabbed some 400s and 500s with 200gr points and headed out to the garage before my first cup of coffee.  Opened the garage door so I could get 15 yards and nocked up a 400.  As I started to draw, I remembered this post and cranked the Blackhawk over to a 1:30 cant.  I guess it worked. Both with the 28" orange 400s and the 27" yellow 500s. These were the only 6 arrows I had time to shoot. Can't wait to get back out to the 3D range later this week and see what we can do with it.

20200825_071238.jpg 20200825_072331.jpg 

ziplomacy

Reply with quote  #15 
Glad it's working for you! I shot my r/d bow longbow and my recurve at a 3d last month. I scored one point higher with the recurve.
Osage Selfbow #55@28"
NM Baraga #50@28"
Pronghorn Takedown #42@28"
Ben Pearson Cougar #37@28"

Knoxville, TN
hookeye

Associate Member
Reply with quote  #16 
Absolutely detest longbows.
Bows, like women, should be curvy LOL
James Donahue

Reply with quote  #17 
Na    thin and lean not fat N bulbs 

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.