photo f2fc6645-3553-483b-b64e-4c19058f6c05_zps121db233.jpg  photo 7B537578-F7C7-4F86-98B8-9F94E0644C33_zpsqirpypxs.jpg  photo jdberry_zpsea01d711.jpg  photo grizzlybroadheads_zps1m2s5rho.jpg  photo banner-kking-160-170_zps48e9d6a9.jpg  photo HolmMadeNewAd_09092014_zpsc4e4691d.jpg  photo truenortharrows_zpsi9ay4gwc.gif  photo 35A0AFC6-0F9E-412C-A64B-EBE54AF0479D_zpsmipyof8e.jpg  photo EEE5CA06-2368-4F2F-A920-0CA562579FE0_zpsm9lvvu1t.jpg  photo northernmist20bcard1_zpssaxw3n46.jpg  photo 072BD871-7553-4294-BBDD-E69370AD1F6A_zpsjismq5n7.jpg                                     photo AFF3B4E3-F518-4092-A4E6-65AE830AB2BE_zpsnuwaaten.jpg  photo f5d37de7-de84-47ad-b248-e8adfe84c5db_zps4oisluth.gif  photo 02c77249-7155-4785-a743-8faf8c694e7a_zpseaj9xlnz.jpg  photo B5D4E580-5A4C-4A25-AC73-D69CDBE82A69_zpsvvtli29v.jpg  photo Dave_shooting_bow_logo202_zpsuskt81vw.jpg  photo image_zps2rrhsrju.jpeg  photo sunsethill_zps551c0207.jpg  photo db77abad-c90f-4ee5-9e34-905fe0c0fd36_zpsleoiybdo.png  photo bigjim_zps76882839.jpg  photo howardhill_large_zps5fd2fcc7.jpg  photo IMG_5966_zpsgrbhwrgb.jpeg  photo Bearpaw_Products_Logo1_zps55d85f33.jpg  photo tradtech_zps697b00c1.jpg  photo a3c08d6f-f669-46b5-8b0c-1480a411cc78_zpsc853b3a6.gif  photo fairbow_zpsc278ec39.jpg  photo F5A4B354-1040-4D43-939F-28ED48F7E5B7_zpsws5ptsc8.jpg  photo coyote track 1_zpshipxn54s.png  photo DF07A98B-41BB-4024-BCF7-A4FCB543D40E_zpsoiduf1m2.png  photo the20footed20shaft_zpsudbyv3ab.jpg  photo blackeaglefinal_zpsfqgqqrcj.png  photo 94936CDE-4CF5-4181-B2F9-FECCA1FE886F_zpsy5nfpirv.jpg photo D49F4739-A11D-4F9D-9D50-4C3EE95E9555_zpswoqwk23o.jpg  photo BF4712C7-9EE6-460F-8380-4E7F08A65416_zpsmluzlgny.jpg  photo bivoucascreenshot_zpscfdgf0n0.jpg  photo 510CA748-680D-4178-8B50-1A4C7F7F895D_zps6b5pjjoc.gif
Traditional Archers | Bowhunters

Author   Comment  
stickandstring

Reply with quote  #1 
I have two by Hunter Safety System and Muddy.

Both are OK but...., one is a little uncomfortable and has straps preventing access to pockets and the other thin leg straps so if you were to fall, would cut off your circulation real fast.

Anyhow, does anybody know a harness which is well thought out, comfortable and fit of the purpose?

Let it Fly ->>---->
Deno

Charter Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Hope this helps.  

https://www.reloaderaddict.com/best-tree-stand-harness-treestand-safety-big-game-review/

D
eno

Howard Hill Wesley Special 70#
Howard Hill Big 5  65#
Jerry Hill Stalker Deluxe  60#
Jerry Hill Wildcat ll 50#

Northern New Jersey
stickandstring

Reply with quote  #3 
My observations; The tether should be about 2/3 up your back not at the neck. The beefed up shoulder and back straps like you see on most is totally unnecessary. But you do need padding or at least wider straps under your legs. This is where your weight will be in a fall. You need a support strap across the chest not at the waist. And need tie downs at the wast for climbing belt. The design should also allow access to waist pockets you should not be encumbered.

Most hunting harness are all gimmicks, and to me total crap. Look at industrial harnesses and you see what I mean.

Let it Fly ->>---->
eddie c

Charter Member
Reply with quote  #4 
I've read on other sites where guys are using rock climbing harness due to design and comfort.
The overly beefed up harnesses are more than likely due to liability insurance requirements.
I've only have used Summit and HSS vests. I had gained weight and Summit didn't offer a vest in my size is the only reason I went to HSS. I sure was glad I had it on when that step broke.

jwhitetail

Reply with quote  #5 
I came out of the rock/alpine climbing world out here in the west, and have simply adapted those tools to life in the trees with a trad bow.  I wear my old, Black Diamond alpine Bod harness with a sliding cord that is prusik knotted onto a main anchor line. Works great for me - very safe and convenient.
JW

A good archer is not known by his arrows, but his aim.
- English Proverb

Mgmicky

Reply with quote  #6 
I use the exact same rock climbing harness set up as jwhitetail.  So much lighter and easier than a standard tree stand harness.  I initially got it because the majority of our season here is in the 90s and I wanted something cooler than my Summit.  Now I won’t go back to a regular hunting harness.  I’m right handed and found that if I place the connecting tether on my right side, I don’t have any interference with it or my lifeline.  Highly recommend

————————————————————
East Tennessee
jwhitetail

Reply with quote  #7 
Good note Mgmicky - a hunter has figure out how you will be shooting (which side) and keep the cords/tether running to the opposite.  Not hard to do at all on my stands as I generally am oriented to pivot one way for the shot (right) and it works fine with the tether.  It still lets you orient left to some degree if you leave yourself a hair of slack.  This system leaves you protected going up - when your on stand and back down.

Also, another trick is - on the stand - to run a piece of 5 or 7mm cord (I have even used a 1 inch cam strap in a pinch) around the tree behind you - just above the small of the back (and above a limb on the back side), and then around front of the belly (and clip in with a locking carabiner on the front side the BD harness). This lets me catch myself if I were ever to slip, and I find I can actually lean out and into the cord a bit for stability when making a shot.... then you don't have to monkey with a tether running to the right side - you can freely pivot inside the loop.  I then just get out of that and clip into the anchor line with the prusik cord to descend safely.  The down side there is there are moments in transition between systems when you are not protected from a fall.  I know lots of folks won't like that system, but I sort of dreamed it up and it works for the way I hunt.

JW

A good archer is not known by his arrows, but his aim.
- English Proverb

thumper

Reply with quote  #8 
The rock climbing harness is the way to go. The front connection is actually kinda nice. Just tuck the tether into the back waist of the harness and it's totally out of the way. If you fall it just pulls out and works as intended. They are lighter and cheaper as well. Mine is a Black Diamond Momentum but about any of them will do. Runs about $50. 

I worked at Seat O' The Pants for 5 years and you will NEVER catch me in a "treestand" harness again. I've watched the 600lb dummy fall in them, and done it myself and it's not pleasant. Plus it will kill ya if you can't get down. But a rock climbing harness is no big deal at all. 
stickandstring

Reply with quote  #9 
Guys, thanks for all the great information. My focus will get a rock climbing belt.

Let it Fly ->>---->
chuckc

Reply with quote  #10 
A couple thoughts out loud...wear something, preferably from the time you leave the ground till you get back down.

In my mind, hunting style safety harnesses are designed with several things in mind different from climbing harnesses. First, they are designed so you can have all the stuff behind you, hopefully out of the way. They are designed to hang you upright, if you do fall. Waist high connections, like the old belts, will leave you hanging upside down half the time, maybe more, depending upon your shape. They were designed to not crush your ribs on impact, like the belts were often doing ( to me). Using a hunting style harness properly means adjusting your tether strap such that it just tugs when you are sitting. You shouldn't be able to fall, from your stand, more than a foot or so. In some cases they keep you in the stand by hitting that end of the rope.

About the " it'll kill ya" part. They were NOT designed for long term hanging. Yeah, long term hanging can cause issues.

Ask yourself this question...if you are in such health that you cannot move to save yourself, or have arrangements for someone to get there quickly to help...what are you doing in a tree ? Needing to be in a tree to kill a deer is a fallacy.

Pick something comfortable and easy for you to use, and use it, every time.

Charter Member Traditional Archery Society

I did too !

Madison, Wisconsin.   Public land hunter
Orion

Reply with quote  #11 
Hmmmm.  I've been using my own design safety harness of sorts for quite a long time.  It's actually just a painter's loop.  I sew the ends of 13-14 feet of one-inch tube webbing together, then sew about half the length of the belt together every 5-6 inches (like a daisy chain).  That's the part that goes around the tree.  I slip the large open loop through the end 5-inch end loop and snug the resulting circle of webbing tight to the tree.  The large open loop left over goes around me.  I keep it at chest level and snug to my body by using bungee cord tied around the two pieces of webbing forming the large loop.

When I use my climbing stand, I just manually move the loop around the tree up as I go.  When I'm hanging Lone Wolf tree steps, I sit in the loop with my feet/foot on the ground or on a tree step, so I have both hands free to attach subsequent steps. Again, I move the loop around the tree up as I move up.  When I get to the desired level, I use a carabiner from the first five-inch loop from my body to the appropriate 5-inch loop wrapped around the tree to remove most of the slack in the webbing between the tree and me.

This arrangement has kept me from falling a few times when I've dozed off on all day sits.  If I ever do roll out of the stand, my upper body won't move more than a couple of feet.  And, because the loop around my body is expandable, held there with a bungee cord, it should be an easy to work my arms and myself out of the loop should that be necessary to shinny down the tree or climb back into the stand.  

When not in use, the belt rolls up into a circle about the size of a Bear claw pastry -- light, strong, quiet, small, easy to use and sufficient.  

Of course, there are a few drawbacks.  It's sometimes necessary to remove the belt on the way up the tree to circumvent a limb, etc. but that's the case with most other safety systems as well.  That is overcome with a rope around the tree trunk or sturdy limb from above stand level to the ground with a tether attached to the hunter via a Prussic knot. Unless the rope is thrown over a limb, the first climb to attach the rope to the tree is made without the tether though.  I probably should, but do not, use that device.

Too, unless one is diligent in keeping the large loop tight around the chest, it can slip down to the waist, or even ankles.  That's very dangerous because if one slipped then, one would end up perhaps upside down hanging from the stomach or ankles.  Unless you're an acrobat and in very good shape, it would be about impossible to extricate oneself in that situation. Hmmm.  I think I might incorporate another bungee cord, over my shoulder from chest to back to keep that from happening.  

I'm not necessarily advocating this system.  Just describing something that's worked for me for about 40 years now.  

stickandstring

Reply with quote  #12 
Update. I ended up buying a Bolerton Harness from Sportsman Guide. It’s on sale for $25 and change. The pictures showed me everything I was wanting.
Im using it right now writing from my tree. Beautiful morning, no bambies yet...
It has plenty of adjustments and is truly comfortable. The leg straps are padded and connected by release buckles. The buckles have an insulator preventing them from making any noise. For once I can access easily my chest and hand pockets. The tether is about a foot shorter than my other “famous brand harnesses” attaches to the tree at about neck height. The other ones had me climbing up the tree to get the right tension. Also the tether is spring loaded and really nice feeling. The connection is about 2/3 up your back not at your neck. I used to find that really uncomfortable and would interfere with my hat. Another nice thing the tether does not interfere with my binocular chest straps.
Anyhow, can not say enough good things about the Bolerton.

Let it Fly ->>---->
James Calamaris

Club Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Seat O Pants the best out there.

Club Member Traditional Archery Society

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.