photo f2fc6645-3553-483b-b64e-4c19058f6c05_zps121db233.jpg  photo 7B537578-F7C7-4F86-98B8-9F94E0644C33_zpsqirpypxs.jpg  photo jdberry_zpsea01d711.jpg  photo grizzlybroadheads_zps1m2s5rho.jpg  photo banner-kking-160-170_zps48e9d6a9.jpg  photo HolmMadeNewAd_09092014_zpsc4e4691d.jpg  photo truenortharrows_zpsi9ay4gwc.gif  photo 35A0AFC6-0F9E-412C-A64B-EBE54AF0479D_zpsmipyof8e.jpg  photo EEE5CA06-2368-4F2F-A920-0CA562579FE0_zpsm9lvvu1t.jpg  photo northernmist20bcard1_zpssaxw3n46.jpg  photo 072BD871-7553-4294-BBDD-E69370AD1F6A_zpsjismq5n7.jpg                                     photo AFF3B4E3-F518-4092-A4E6-65AE830AB2BE_zpsnuwaaten.jpg  photo f5d37de7-de84-47ad-b248-e8adfe84c5db_zps4oisluth.gif  photo 02c77249-7155-4785-a743-8faf8c694e7a_zpseaj9xlnz.jpg  photo B5D4E580-5A4C-4A25-AC73-D69CDBE82A69_zpsvvtli29v.jpg  photo Dave_shooting_bow_logo202_zpsuskt81vw.jpg  photo image_zps2rrhsrju.jpeg  photo sunsethill_zps551c0207.jpg  photo db77abad-c90f-4ee5-9e34-905fe0c0fd36_zpsleoiybdo.png  photo bigjim_zps76882839.jpg  photo howardhill_large_zps5fd2fcc7.jpg  photo IMG_5966_zpsgrbhwrgb.jpeg  photo Bearpaw_Products_Logo1_zps55d85f33.jpg  photo tradtech_zps697b00c1.jpg  photo a3c08d6f-f669-46b5-8b0c-1480a411cc78_zpsc853b3a6.gif  photo fairbow_zpsc278ec39.jpg  photo F5A4B354-1040-4D43-939F-28ED48F7E5B7_zpsws5ptsc8.jpg  photo coyote track 1_zpshipxn54s.png  photo DF07A98B-41BB-4024-BCF7-A4FCB543D40E_zpsoiduf1m2.png  photo the20footed20shaft_zpsudbyv3ab.jpg  photo blackeaglefinal_zpsfqgqqrcj.png  photo 94936CDE-4CF5-4181-B2F9-FECCA1FE886F_zpsy5nfpirv.jpg photo D49F4739-A11D-4F9D-9D50-4C3EE95E9555_zpswoqwk23o.jpg  photo BF4712C7-9EE6-460F-8380-4E7F08A65416_zpsmluzlgny.jpg  photo bivoucascreenshot_zpscfdgf0n0.jpg  photo 510CA748-680D-4178-8B50-1A4C7F7F895D_zps6b5pjjoc.gif
Traditional Archers | Bowhunters

Author   Comment  
tradlongbow

Administrator
Reply with quote  #1 
This week TAS members were asked, do they prefer to shoot wood arrows with their recurve. The response from our members was, YES!

It only makes sense that we add Recurve Wood Arrows to the TAS Bowhunter World Championship.

(Recurve Class)
Wood Arrows Only, Wood Riser Only, Shooting Off the Shelf.
VS.
(Modern Recurve)
Any Arrow Material, Wood, Metal, or Carbon Riser, Shooting Off the Shelf.

TAS Shooting Classes
• Longbow
• Modern Longbow
• Selfbow
• Recurve
• Modern Recurve
• Open Class
• Hill Longbow (World Championship only)

TAS Traditional Bowhunter Championship
Farmland Conservation Club
Winchester, Indiana
August 28, 29, 30, 2020
Free Camping
Hotels in Winchester and Muncie, Indiana06ED98DB-38C5-4A62-8EB6-E8E20B502BBD.jpeg

TRADITIONAL BOWHUNTER WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 
Farmland Conservation Club, Winchester, Indiana 

PUBLIC LAND HUNTER
John Schulz Straight Shooting and Bowhunting Graduate
Email: traditionalarcherysociety@yahoo.com

Draven

Club Member
Reply with quote  #2 
That's interesting. Just curious: do you know how many "modern recurve" shooters will change the division for "recurve" division? I am asking because I've seen here a tendency of changing (weakening the competition inside the division)  instead attracting new shooters.

Administrator
Reply with quote  #3 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven
That's interesting. Just curious: do you know how many "modern recurve" shooters will change the division for "recurve" division? I am asking because I've seen here a tendency of changing (weakening the competition inside the division)  instead attracting new shooters.

Who knows which members will change classes. What it does is create a class for members that want to shoot recurve wood arrows. Just like members that want to shoot longbow wood arrows.

We attract new shooters every year. Last years TAS Worlds was 200 shooters. TAS expanded in US, Mexico, and had plans for Germany before Covid19. Now, we’re discussing to add Argentina to our shoots with our new sponsor Patagonia Archery.

PUBLIC LAND HUNTER

Draven

Club Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Nice! Good luck with this

TAS Upgrade Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Glad you got enough interest to give it a try.  I think I'm in if you can pull it off this August. Will be interested in seeing the formal class specs.  So, are we thinking just one-piece recurves?  Does "wood riser" exclude the ones with Micarta or fiberglass laminations (my BW PTF)?  I think yes to both questions.  So now I'm looking at my '53 Kodiak Special (64", #47) or my Bodnik Redman (62", #50).  Going to be a tough choice. They are totally different shooting experiences.

Bear Kodiak 3.jpg  Redman 10.jpg 

Shooting right now (Sep 2020): 
Northern Mist Sprague Longbow, 66", #52
Bodnik Mohawk Chief Longbow, 62", #50
Black Widow PTFX Recurve, 60", #50

Doylestown, PA / Reston, VA
tradlongbow

Administrator
Reply with quote  #6 
Bob, 

1pc, 2, pc, or 3pc wood riser recurve, off the shelf. Bolt down or ILF.  Wood Arrows Only

PUBLIC LAND HUNTER

timking

TAS Upgrade Member
Reply with quote  #7 
So, if you shoot carbon arrows off the shelf you are now in modern recurve with metal risers and elevated rest?

Dallas, Texas
62" #55 Fox High Sierra 
62" #58 Black Widow MA
64" #56 A&H ACS 
Widowmaker 350 Carbon shafts
200 gr. Iron Will 4 blade

tradlongbow

Administrator
Reply with quote  #8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timking
So, if you shoot carbon arrows off the shelf you are now in modern recurve with metal risers and elevated rest?

Tim,

Modern Recurve is any arrow material, Wood, Aluminum, or carbon riser, shooting off the shelf. 

You would shoot Open Class with a an elevated rest. 

PUBLIC LAND HUNTER

timking

TAS Upgrade Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Got it, thanks

Dallas, Texas
62" #55 Fox High Sierra 
62" #58 Black Widow MA
64" #56 A&H ACS 

Selden Slider

Charter Member
Reply with quote  #10 

So what makes a recurve modern?  Frank

Administrator
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Slider

(Recurve Class)

(Modern Recurve)
Any Arrow Material, Wood, Metal, or Carbon Riser, Shooting Off the Shelf.

PUBLIC LAND HUNTER

tradlongbow

Administrator
Reply with quote  #12 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timking
Got it, thanks

When we were in Texas last year shooting Blake Hunter was shooting an Bob Lee with a elevated stick on rest in Open Class. He shot almost a perfect round and took 1st Place that weekend. 

PUBLIC LAND HUNTER

Selden Slider

Charter Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Thanks Darren. Got it.  Frank

Reply with quote  #14 
Allowed:  Wood arrows...check.   Wood riser...check.  Off-the-shelf...check.   ILF limbs...doesn't make sense.  
Draven

Club Member
Reply with quote  #15 
I hope you understand that ILF is nothing but a way to attach the limb to the riser. A takedown with a screw is "check" or not? The single thing that can be debated is the material of the limbs and it can be required to have wood as component. Or not. Because is not the speed but the accuracy counting aka the indian behind the string. 

Associate Member
Reply with quote  #16 

(Recurve Class)

OK, so then my old Widow MA with only two small white stripes (1/16") one on either side of a red wood strip is legal, right ?

Just asking.

Southeastern Illinois College
AMM 761
Black Widow Bows
tradlongbow

Administrator
Reply with quote  #17 
Wood riser, phenolic riser, micarta riser is okay. No Metal risers and no adjustable side plates.

PUBLIC LAND HUNTER

Huntschool

Associate Member
Reply with quote  #18 
OK....  Got it, thanks.  Just wanted to be sure.  As of now, I think wife and I will be at Farmland if we see a bit of a change in the COVID #'s.  Waiting to hear from Farmland regarding my "transportation needs".  
Southeastern Illinois College
AMM 761
Black Widow Bows
Bigmagic

Reply with quote  #19 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven

When I first got into traditional archery, I thought there is a recurve...and a longbow. Now I find there is a longbow, a modern longbow, ILF longbow, etc. And there's a recurve, and a modern recurve and who knows what else. It is very confusing to me. Especially when all I want to do is shoot. I have been thinking about getting into some competition, not because I want to win anything, but to have fun. Now I don't know if I have the "right" bow anymore for any given shoot. It's more than I need to have going on inside my pointed little head.
timking

TAS Upgrade Member
Reply with quote  #20 

Big magic, you’re not alone! My 3D experience is VERY limited for that same reason. 

Short answer is shoot whatever you have if you just want to have fun. Most shoots are happy to take your money and not require you to turn in a card.....just go to one that you can do plenty of shooting for one entry fee....

Dallas, Texas
62" #55 Fox High Sierra 
62" #58 Black Widow MA
64" #56 A&H ACS 

tradlongbow

Administrator
Reply with quote  #21 

All through the 90’s and early 00’s, I competed in the NFAA/IFAA organization that started in 1938 shooting in the longbow wood arrow class. If I shot a metal or carbon arrow that would have placed me in the Traditional Class or Barebow Hunter Class. 

It only makes sense to have a Recurve Wood Arrow Class since there’s a Longbow Wood Arrow Class.

At TAS events shooters can opt to shoot for “FUN” only. Shooters can enjoy the range shooting unlimited amounts of times. 

PUBLIC LAND HUNTER

Draven

Club Member
Reply with quote  #22 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmagic

When I first got into traditional archery, I thought there is a recurve...and a longbow. Now I find there is a longbow, a modern longbow, ILF longbow, etc. And there's a recurve, and a modern recurve and who knows what else. It is very confusing to me. Especially when all I want to do is shoot. I have been thinking about getting into some competition, not because I want to win anything, but to have fun. Now I don't know if I have the "right" bow anymore for any given shoot. It's more than I need to have going on inside my pointed little head.

Here until 2 years ago all type of bows and arrows as long were shot off the shelf and index touching the nock were in one Traditional class. Now we changed for World Archery format who's having Longbow (and wood arrows) Instinctive division (the riser is produced of a natural or resin based material (e.g.wood, bamboo, horn, cloth, fibreglass, and a portion of the riser may include carbon/graphite or metal. The riser must be of laminated construction or one piece of wood.) and Barebow. 
But again, each Association can have its own rules and that's the beauty of it. If you go shooting for fun you just don't care about them, but if you go to compete you get the rig who's compliant with the rules. 

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.