photo f2fc6645-3553-483b-b64e-4c19058f6c05_zps121db233.jpg  photo 7B537578-F7C7-4F86-98B8-9F94E0644C33_zpsqirpypxs.jpg  photo jdberry_zpsea01d711.jpg  photo grizzlybroadheads_zps1m2s5rho.jpg  photo banner-kking-160-170_zps48e9d6a9.jpg  photo HolmMadeNewAd_09092014_zpsc4e4691d.jpg  photo truenortharrows_zpsi9ay4gwc.gif  photo 35A0AFC6-0F9E-412C-A64B-EBE54AF0479D_zpsmipyof8e.jpg  photo EEE5CA06-2368-4F2F-A920-0CA562579FE0_zpsm9lvvu1t.jpg  photo northernmist20bcard1_zpssaxw3n46.jpg  photo 072BD871-7553-4294-BBDD-E69370AD1F6A_zpsjismq5n7.jpg                                     photo AFF3B4E3-F518-4092-A4E6-65AE830AB2BE_zpsnuwaaten.jpg  photo f5d37de7-de84-47ad-b248-e8adfe84c5db_zps4oisluth.gif  photo 02c77249-7155-4785-a743-8faf8c694e7a_zpseaj9xlnz.jpg  photo B5D4E580-5A4C-4A25-AC73-D69CDBE82A69_zpsvvtli29v.jpg  photo Dave_shooting_bow_logo202_zpsuskt81vw.jpg  photo image_zps2rrhsrju.jpeg  photo sunsethill_zps551c0207.jpg  photo db77abad-c90f-4ee5-9e34-905fe0c0fd36_zpsleoiybdo.png  photo bigjim_zps76882839.jpg  photo howardhill_large_zps5fd2fcc7.jpg  photo IMG_5966_zpsgrbhwrgb.jpeg  photo Bearpaw_Products_Logo1_zps55d85f33.jpg  photo tradtech_zps697b00c1.jpg  photo a3c08d6f-f669-46b5-8b0c-1480a411cc78_zpsc853b3a6.gif  photo fairbow_zpsc278ec39.jpg  photo F5A4B354-1040-4D43-939F-28ED48F7E5B7_zpsws5ptsc8.jpg  photo coyote track 1_zpshipxn54s.png  photo DF07A98B-41BB-4024-BCF7-A4FCB543D40E_zpsoiduf1m2.png  photo the20footed20shaft_zpsudbyv3ab.jpg  photo blackeaglefinal_zpsfqgqqrcj.png  photo 94936CDE-4CF5-4181-B2F9-FECCA1FE886F_zpsy5nfpirv.jpg photo D49F4739-A11D-4F9D-9D50-4C3EE95E9555_zpswoqwk23o.jpg  photo BF4712C7-9EE6-460F-8380-4E7F08A65416_zpsmluzlgny.jpg  photo bivoucascreenshot_zpscfdgf0n0.jpg  photo 510CA748-680D-4178-8B50-1A4C7F7F895D_zps6b5pjjoc.gif
Traditional Archers | Bowhunters

Author   Comment  
tradlongbow

Administrator
Reply with quote  #1 
BBF75A5B-6A9F-44C9-896D-D615800F39EB.jpeg 

TRADITIONAL BOWHUNTER WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 
Farmland Conservation Club, Winchester, Indiana 

PUBLIC LAND HUNTER
John Schulz Straight Shooting and Bowhunting Graduate
Email: traditionalarcherysociety@yahoo.com

Draven

Club Member
Reply with quote  #2 
The trend is the same here, sometimes Masters (above 50) are having better scores than Seniors (50 and under)

Reply with quote  #3 
Which brings up the question of what motivates all the divisions.  Is it to recognize an inherent difference in skill, or is it to allow more people to win?

If there is one sport where men and women can compete as equals, I would think archery is it.  I never met a woman who couldn't outshoot me.  When I watch mixed couples archery competition, the women are as likely as the men to make a good shot, or a bad one.  So why segregate the sexes?

The age divisions seem more reasonable to me than the sex divisions.
timking

TAS Upgrade Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Steve, I am NOT a 3D shooter, have asked the “why so many classes” question and got rocks hurled at me. I think the answer is so more people can take home a buckle....(I just heard a rock sail by my head)...

If 3D is truly for hunting preparation, then isn’t the field a level playing ground? Course, it’s not hunting prep for everyone. My question is more about equipment classifications than sexes, but valid question also.
To your point I was put in a group last year with a gal that could outshoot me with her eyes closed at any distance, we would approach a new target, and her stake was 1/2 the distance of ours! She should have shot from a further stake than me and whooped me!

Dallas, Texas
62" #55 Fox High Sierra 
62" #58 Black Widow MA
64" #56 A&H ACS 
Widowmaker 350 Carbon shafts
200 gr. Iron Will 4 blade

Draven

Club Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Steve, until 3 years ago, around here all types of equipment from longbow to ILF and arrows from wood to carbon shot off the shelf and with index touching the arrow nock and no face walking were under one single umbrella called "Traditional" Division. I can say that the Champion for decades it was a gentleman shooting a recurve and wood arrows. This should open the door for a debate regarding skills tripping the equipment, but it is another subject maybe. 3 years ago we imported the World Archery rules which split the existing "Traditional" in  "Longbow" and "Instinctive" divisions - and this is not too bad. Maybe on this side of the pond, there is more "every participant needs to get something because he participated" mentality since nobody likes to be a loser? 
The age segregation is a good thing, but I think the sex segregation has something to do more with a "custom" than anything else. Here, the women shoot from the same stake as men, the single difference is their score is listed on a different place.

Charter Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Rules rules rules.  There's enough rules in this world to have rules in my favorite sport.  That's another reason I don't compete.  Anyway, I enjoy 3D shooting.  I'll shoot the events without keeping score.  As far as prep for hunting I think 3D is good for showing you what shots NOT to take.  Other than that it's just target practice.  Frank

Administrator
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Graf
Which brings up the question of what motivates all the divisions.  Is it to recognize an inherent difference in skill, or is it to allow more people to win?
If there is one sport where men and women can compete as equals, I would think archery is it.  I never met a woman who couldn't outshoot me.  When I watch mixed couples archery competition, the women are as likely as the men to make a good shot, or a bad one.  So why segregate the sexes? The age divisions seem more reasonable to me than the sex divisions.

Steve, Your organization, the TAS Bowhunter Championship started 6 years ago with only a Male and  Female adult Categories. After the first 3 years, many of our senior shooters requested a senior category should be added. TAS

Categories and Classes are different:
Category - Male, Female, Senior, Youth, Cub.
Classes - There's 6 shooting classes.

There's 3 popular events that TAS offers where Men and Women compete against each, the Coon-Shoot, Stump-Shoot, and Team Event.

PUBLIC LAND HUNTER

tradlongbow

Administrator
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by timking
Steve, I am NOT a 3D shooter, have asked the “why so many classes” question and got rocks hurled at me. I think the answer is so more people can take home a buckle....(I just heard a rock sail by my head)...

If 3D is truly for hunting preparation, then isn’t the field a level playing ground? Course, it’s not hunting prep for everyone. My question is more about equipment classifications than sexes, but valid question also.
To your point I was put in a group last year with a gal that could outshoot me with her eyes closed at any distance, we would approach a new target, and her stake was 1/2 the distance of ours! She should have shot from a further stake than me and whooped me!

At the TAS Bowhunter Championship Men and Women shoot from the same stake.

PUBLIC LAND HUNTER

tradlongbow

Administrator
Reply with quote  #9 
The TAS Bowhunter World Championship will be in the 7th year for 2021. For our members and shooters we've been having a banquet every year on Saturday night which is a good time to sit back after a long day of shooting. At TAS events, shooters can shoot just for fun or compete. TAS does have regional shoots and will expand into state shoots for 2021.

PUBLIC LAND HUNTER

Tom M

Charter Member
Reply with quote  #10 

I was not a fan of “many classes” until I became secretary-treasure of the club I belong to in CA. We had “discussions” about this many a time. We found to an extend that more classes helped bring in more revenue from an increase in shooters. On the flip side the number of awards were given in each class according to number of participants. Being the only person in a class did not mean they got an award. Yes, there is a story attached to that comment I don’t need to go into. Sure we could end up with a few disappointed people and left over awards but it still worked out for us.

Fast forward to today and my present location. Only one tournament locally has different classes and they are pretty basic. 99% of the shoots are not for awards. Your card goes in a hat for a drawing of various archery related items. 

Sun City, Az. by way of San Diego, Ca. Bear TD's Wes Wallace Royal LB, ILF risers and various limbs, Vintage Works 1962 Kodiak reproduction made to my specs

I hunt public land.
tecum-tha

TAS Upgrade Member
Reply with quote  #11 
The biggest distinction between the classes is arrow material and center shot.
Senior classes are fair, because with some target good vision is helpful.
The scores are comparably close, because the distances are comparably close. If you use a barebow rig with flat shooting carbon arrows which is set up well and there is no 11 rings, scores will be very close. This year it was set quite far for selfbows and wood arrows. But all male classes shot from the same stake.
I shot selfbow this year and Hill bow last year. But I shot the practice course with a lousy set up barebow rig and shot 12 tens and 8 eights. I played with this rig for 4 days.
Minimal training and ease of tuning and set it up for gap shooting makes the barebow class very competitive and close in scores. An 11 ring fits about 7 times into a ten ring.
When it comes to a reduction in classes, it is to combine modern longbow with modern recurve (same center shot and arrow material). Combine Hill with regular longbow (wood arrows). Longbows are not allowed to be cut to center as stated in IBO regulations.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.