photo f2fc6645-3553-483b-b64e-4c19058f6c05_zps121db233.jpg  photo 7B537578-F7C7-4F86-98B8-9F94E0644C33_zpsqirpypxs.jpg  photo jdberry_zpsea01d711.jpg  photo grizzlybroadheads_zps1m2s5rho.jpg  photo banner-kking-160-170_zps48e9d6a9.jpg  photo HolmMadeNewAd_09092014_zpsc4e4691d.jpg  photo truenortharrows_zpsi9ay4gwc.gif  photo 35A0AFC6-0F9E-412C-A64B-EBE54AF0479D_zpsmipyof8e.jpg  photo EEE5CA06-2368-4F2F-A920-0CA562579FE0_zpsm9lvvu1t.jpg  photo northernmist20bcard1_zpssaxw3n46.jpg  photo 072BD871-7553-4294-BBDD-E69370AD1F6A_zpsjismq5n7.jpg                                     photo AFF3B4E3-F518-4092-A4E6-65AE830AB2BE_zpsnuwaaten.jpg  photo f5d37de7-de84-47ad-b248-e8adfe84c5db_zps4oisluth.gif  photo 02c77249-7155-4785-a743-8faf8c694e7a_zpseaj9xlnz.jpg  photo B5D4E580-5A4C-4A25-AC73-D69CDBE82A69_zpsvvtli29v.jpg  photo Dave_shooting_bow_logo202_zpsuskt81vw.jpg  photo image_zps2rrhsrju.jpeg  photo sunsethill_zps551c0207.jpg  photo db77abad-c90f-4ee5-9e34-905fe0c0fd36_zpsleoiybdo.png  photo bigjim_zps76882839.jpg  photo howardhill_large_zps5fd2fcc7.jpg  photo IMG_5966_zpsgrbhwrgb.jpeg  photo Bearpaw_Products_Logo1_zps55d85f33.jpg  photo tradtech_zps697b00c1.jpg  photo a3c08d6f-f669-46b5-8b0c-1480a411cc78_zpsc853b3a6.gif  photo fairbow_zpsc278ec39.jpg  photo F5A4B354-1040-4D43-939F-28ED48F7E5B7_zpsws5ptsc8.jpg  photo coyote track 1_zpshipxn54s.png  photo DF07A98B-41BB-4024-BCF7-A4FCB543D40E_zpsoiduf1m2.png  photo the20footed20shaft_zpsudbyv3ab.jpg  photo blackeaglefinal_zpsfqgqqrcj.png  photo 94936CDE-4CF5-4181-B2F9-FECCA1FE886F_zpsy5nfpirv.jpg photo D49F4739-A11D-4F9D-9D50-4C3EE95E9555_zpswoqwk23o.jpg  photo BF4712C7-9EE6-460F-8380-4E7F08A65416_zpsmluzlgny.jpg  photo bivoucascreenshot_zpscfdgf0n0.jpg  photo 510CA748-680D-4178-8B50-1A4C7F7F895D_zps6b5pjjoc.gif
Traditional Archers | Bowhunters

Author   Comment  
tradlongbow

Administrator
Reply with quote  #1 
There was a time that I would shoot everyday and on some of those days I would go out to shoot more than once .On some days I would spend the entire day shooting on and off. Even when I got off of work I would rush to the backyard or the local club. But over the past 2 years I've put my longbow aside to shoot my recurve, and I've found that I don't shoot as much as I did.

Yesterday, I took delivery of a new longbow and that feeling of not wanting to put the bow down immediately came back. I even went back outside to shoot the new longbow second time before it got dark outside. For some, it may just be the opposite, where they prefer a recurve to shoot, but for me, it always has been and always will be the LONGBOW.

TRADITIONAL BOWHUNTER WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 
Farmland Conservation Club, Winchester, Indiana 

PUBLIC LAND HUNTER
John Schulz Straight Shooting and Bowhunting Graduate
Email: traditionalarcherysociety@yahoo.com

Deno

Charter Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Same here Darren.  Last recurve I shot was in 1965 ðŸ˜Ž

Deno

Howard Hill Wesley Special 70#
Howard Hill Big 5  65#
Jerry Hill Stalker Deluxe  60#
Jerry Hill Wildcat ll 50#

Northern New Jersey
silverarrow

Club Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Darren, don't leave us in suspense.  Tell us about your new bow.  
For me the difference in shooting a longbow is that I do shoot it "instinctively", meaning that I really don't put any effort into my form, or my aim.  I never really feel that confident shooting a ASL type longbow consistently, but some days I can't seem to miss my target.  pure enjoyment!  I tend to aim and hold my anchor longer when shooting a recurve, and I would probably grab a recurve or one of my r/d shorter longbows for hunting.  still enjoyable, but yes, different.  My new used bow is in the mail right now.  I'm excited about it, but it will be a hunting bow I'm sure, and not used much for 3D.  

Northern Mist American TD 51#
Howard Hill, The Big Five (Tim Meigs) 57#
Sovereign Sonoran 58#
Browning Wasp 52#
Ryan Gill Osage Hunter (self bow) 52#
jwhitetail

Reply with quote  #4 
Me two... started with the recurve, Mr Berry got me hooked on Long bows... never looked back.  I have one recurve in the basement that gathering dust... an old green glass DH Coronado.    Not really that good at it, but I really love shooting the longbow.
JW

A good archer is not known by his arrows, but his aim.
- English Proverb

Tom M

Charter Member
Reply with quote  #5 
I like shooting both. I do shoot my old B Mag riser bow the best. Hopefully it won’t come apart on me. I can still shoot my 55# Wes Wallace as much as I want but looking down the road I really like that Impala Express. 

Sun City, Az. by way of San Diego, Ca. Bear TD's Wes Wallace Royal LB, ILF risers and various limbs, Vintage Works 1962 Kodiak reproduction made to my specs

I hunt public land.
Tradslinger

Reply with quote  #6 
I love shooting bows period and have shot a lot of different kinds. I have a couple recurves that I love to shoot and shoot them pretty well but the longbow is bow that keeps calling me back. I love the longbows so much that I wrote a book with them being one of the main focus points. I never got it published, still have it just sitting there waiting to be. 
"But a man drew his bow without taking special aim and struck the king of Israel through the joints of his armor." 1 Kings 22:34
James Donahue

Reply with quote  #7 
Definately the longbow

Have some recurves but  only shoot once in a while 
 and don't take long to get my fill of them

ASL I never get tired of shooting
mild R/D  about the same
been messing with a BW hybred lately shoots good but not sure I like it near as much

Club Member
Reply with quote  #8 
I like to shoot both. Shooting the longbow and wood is more intuitive than  shooting the recurve and skinnies  and I am not talking just about aiming. 

Administrator
Reply with quote  #9 
Silverarrow,

I'll have to post pictures this weekend when I'm not working on the website. LOL 🙃🙄😩😨😄

TRADITIONAL BOWHUNTER WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 
Farmland Conservation Club, Winchester, Indiana 

PUBLIC LAND HUNTER
John Schulz Straight Shooting and Bowhunting Graduate
Email: traditionalarcherysociety@yahoo.com

Deno

Charter Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Darren
Now I know why you like all the new emoji options  lol...😎👍

Deno

Howard Hill Wesley Special 70#
Howard Hill Big 5  65#
Jerry Hill Stalker Deluxe  60#
Jerry Hill Wildcat ll 50#

Northern New Jersey
Old3Toe

Reply with quote  #11 
Not long after to committing to the ASL, it quickly became apparent there was just no going back. More so when combined with a back quiver, the entire “system” becomes intuitive and natural. Now I’m not sure if it’s wholly a matter of the longbow or if age/experience is just setting in, but each year I find myself becoming increasingly persnickety on which longbows bows I like most, and why. 

“Take the good where you find it, be honest with yourself, and let the results be your guide.”

Hebrews 11:1

Jet Wolverine 69@28, Kramer Autumn 62@27, Jet Leopard 63@28, Howard Hill Wesley Special 57@27, Jet Warthog 69@28. Two Tracks Echo 60@27.

chuckc

Reply with quote  #12 
I have said this before, at risk of sounding stupid,  something in which i excel,  i simply feel right, or  good, or whole, or...something,  when i walk the woods with a longbow in hand.  An ASL or closely  similar bow.  I sure like ( and own) others but they don't elicit the same feeling.

Charter Member Traditional Archery Society

I did too !

Madison, Wisconsin.   Public land hunter
Sam

Reply with quote  #13 
Like many, I started with a recurve, but when I tried a longbow, I was hooked. I don't know what convinced me that I could be good with this tool (or archery in general), yet I am totally fascinated by it. I now shoot it reasonably well and have no plans to go back to the recurve to any large degree. Don't ask me why I am so enamored with it - it just speaks to me, that's all. Plus, I am fairly heavily invested in longbows. I have 7 Hill style bows and 5 R/D bows. I just like them.

Gray, GA

"The spirit of the bow dwells in the heart of all young men" - Geronimo

Hill Wesley Special (2, both 65#)
Hill Cheetah (2, one 55# and one 40#)
Hill Big 5 (50#)
NM Shelton (2, both 53#)
Deathwish Longbow (59#)
Archery Traditions Bamboo Longhunter (3, one 56#, one 60# and one 78#)

Old Sailor

Charter Member
Reply with quote  #14 
I love to shoot my ASL bows!  My recurves have been setting on the rack gathering dust for over 4 years now. ASLs are so pure and simple and elegant and classy and ..........
It seems so much easier to become one with a long bow than a frills covered recurve. 

JD Berry Morning Star 54#@28, Northern Mist Classic 54#@28Sovereign Ballistik 60#28, Howatt Hunter 55#@28, Ben Pearson Mustang 46#@28

"But God demonstrates His own love towards us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us."  Romans 5:8

"The problem is not guns, It's hearts without God, Homes without discipline, Schools without prayer, and Courtrooms without justice" ; unknown.

Durango, Colorado
Public Land Hunter
Fudd

Associate Member
Reply with quote  #15 
It is finally coming around in my head. It is the entire package that makes it all work.  It is not just the bow, arrows or accessories, once everything is balanced and correct, it is me.  I am the only reason it works or does not work.  The more high performance and complicated the equipment, and the method, the more variables there are to calculate.  Watch anyone that shoots like John Schulz, fluid simplicity.
Dale Rohrbeck

Associate Member
Reply with quote  #16 
Although I still own and shoot recurves, I really get more joy out of spending a day with a longbow. 
CTDolan

Reply with quote  #17 
Longbows are a joy all the way around. It begins the moment you pick one up. They're feather light and carry like a dream.
Nocked-up

Associate Member
Reply with quote  #18 
I got my first long bow in Sept.  The recurve hasn’t been touched since.  
longcruise

Club Member
Reply with quote  #19 
Lately I've been playing with a frankenbow and just can't get the consistency that I'd like.   Not that I'm a tiny group shooter with any bow but it would be nice if the arrows in the groups showed at least some sort of relationship to each other and even indicated that there was a common POA.  ðŸ˜œ  today I  picked up a long bow that I seldom shoot and all of a sudden the groups were related and while nothing to brag about the intended POI was apparent. 

Reply with quote  #20 
Longcruise;  reading this thread and another on another site
 I expirmented  last coupple of weeks  taking a recurve one day , hybred another ,and ASL or mild reflex deflex
  over and over shooting the same stump shooting path

no question 
 The ASL and mild reflex deflex  are better accuracy wise for me and more enjoyable to shoot-my hand eye just functions better with them espically at unknown distances 

Note ( have spent much more years with an ASL   so maybe an old shoe thing)

Reply with quote  #21 
I greatly prefer the ASL shooting experience.

I currently only have two recurves among my 13 bows. I use my waterproof all fiberglass Ben Pearson recurve for bowfishing. It is not too bad because it has a straight low-wrist grip very similar to a longbow.
IMG_0468.jpg 

My Bear Super Kodak has many shooting and portability virtues, but the sculptured grip just does not suit me well.

Bear Montana Longbows 30#, 40#, & 50#
Lemonwood Self-Bow Longbow 30#
Ben Pearson Pony Longbow/Semi-Recurve 30# (Purchased New Summer 1966)
Ben Pearson Super Jet Recurve (All Fiberglass) 45# (New Jan. 1970)
Bear Super Kodiak Recurve 55#

PROUDLY an Irredeemable Deplorable

Huntschool

Associate Member
Reply with quote  #22 
I have to say that after years of shooting recurve bows, a number of years ago I decided to try a BW long bow.  My mind went through a tizzy.  This bow was light and just felt right in my hand.  Fast forward....  I now own three with a possible 4th in the near future (or it may be a PSR).  

I have tried on many occasions to shoot Hill style bows but it has just never worked for me.  I just can not get the feel from them.  So, I am sticking to my PL's.

Southeastern Illinois College
AMM 761
Black Widow Bows
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.