photo f2fc6645-3553-483b-b64e-4c19058f6c05_zps121db233.jpg  photo 7B537578-F7C7-4F86-98B8-9F94E0644C33_zpsqirpypxs.jpg  photo jdberry_zpsea01d711.jpg  photo grizzlybroadheads_zps1m2s5rho.jpg  photo banner-kking-160-170_zps48e9d6a9.jpg  photo HolmMadeNewAd_09092014_zpsc4e4691d.jpg  photo truenortharrows_zpsi9ay4gwc.gif  photo 35A0AFC6-0F9E-412C-A64B-EBE54AF0479D_zpsmipyof8e.jpg  photo EEE5CA06-2368-4F2F-A920-0CA562579FE0_zpsm9lvvu1t.jpg  photo northernmist20bcard1_zpssaxw3n46.jpg  photo 072BD871-7553-4294-BBDD-E69370AD1F6A_zpsjismq5n7.jpg                                     photo AFF3B4E3-F518-4092-A4E6-65AE830AB2BE_zpsnuwaaten.jpg  photo f5d37de7-de84-47ad-b248-e8adfe84c5db_zps4oisluth.gif  photo 02c77249-7155-4785-a743-8faf8c694e7a_zpseaj9xlnz.jpg  photo B5D4E580-5A4C-4A25-AC73-D69CDBE82A69_zpsvvtli29v.jpg  photo Dave_shooting_bow_logo202_zpsuskt81vw.jpg  photo image_zps2rrhsrju.jpeg  photo sunsethill_zps551c0207.jpg  photo db77abad-c90f-4ee5-9e34-905fe0c0fd36_zpsleoiybdo.png  photo bigjim_zps76882839.jpg  photo howardhill_large_zps5fd2fcc7.jpg  photo IMG_5966_zpsgrbhwrgb.jpeg  photo Bearpaw_Products_Logo1_zps55d85f33.jpg  photo tradtech_zps697b00c1.jpg  photo a3c08d6f-f669-46b5-8b0c-1480a411cc78_zpsc853b3a6.gif  photo fairbow_zpsc278ec39.jpg  photo F5A4B354-1040-4D43-939F-28ED48F7E5B7_zpsws5ptsc8.jpg  photo coyote track 1_zpshipxn54s.png  photo DF07A98B-41BB-4024-BCF7-A4FCB543D40E_zpsoiduf1m2.png  photo the20footed20shaft_zpsudbyv3ab.jpg  photo blackeaglefinal_zpsfqgqqrcj.png  photo 94936CDE-4CF5-4181-B2F9-FECCA1FE886F_zpsy5nfpirv.jpg photo D49F4739-A11D-4F9D-9D50-4C3EE95E9555_zpswoqwk23o.jpg  photo BF4712C7-9EE6-460F-8380-4E7F08A65416_zpsmluzlgny.jpg  photo bivoucascreenshot_zpscfdgf0n0.jpg  photo 510CA748-680D-4178-8B50-1A4C7F7F895D_zps6b5pjjoc.gif
Traditional Archers | Bowhunters

Author   Comment  
Clovis6

TAS Upgrade Member
Reply with quote  #1 
The routine for me is pretty much always the same. Get in an hour before Sunrise, leave at 9. Get in by 4, leave 30 min after Sunset. Given my work and travel schedule this fall I'm going to have to do a lot more early-afternoon hunting. Hoping it's not going to be a total waste of time.

So who sits all day or only goes out at Midday? And what do you see in the late-morning and/or early-afternoon timeframes? Should I sit in a blind or stalk bedded animals?

Shooting right now (Sep 2020): 
Northern Mist Sprague Longbow, 66", #52
Bodnik Mohawk Chief Longbow, 62", #50
Black Widow PTFX Recurve, 60", #50

Doylestown, PA / Reston, VA
Selden Slider

Charter Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Within all my hunting years I've only seen deer at mid-day a very few times but that has not stopped me from hunting all day.  You gotta keep them honest.  Besides, you never know.  Frank

Charter Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Including firearms, 50% of the deer I've killed were midday. My first bow kill was at 2pm. Depending on where I'm hunting, sometimes early morning and late afternoon are best. I've headed on for evening hunts and the deer will already be there.
Yehwa

Club Member
Reply with quote  #4 
November all day . But right now I get in at 11:00 or so . Bump out to many going in the dark . Rob do you hunt the same spot all the time . Thouse deer are patterning you ! Stalking beded deer .allmost impossible in my neck of the woods . I’ve had lots of sightings mid mid day in October also . They get up and stretch their legs grab a bite to eat take a piss . Hey just like us 😂. Well I got to take a shower and hit the woods . 🦌🏹👍
chuckc

Reply with quote  #5 
If you were hunting YOU, would you go to the same place at any time of day, or are there better options....train station morning and evening, lunch wagon mid day, coffee shop mid morning and mid afternoon. Etc. They have things they do at certain times too. Find where and when and locate funnels to further pinpoint the spots to be.

Re stalking.. i like it. I believe i am good at it, but unless you know where they might be or bed AND the terrain and weather allows quiet movement, you would be better served sitting.

Charter Member Traditional Archery Society

I did too !

Madison, Wisconsin.   Public land hunter
Orion

Reply with quote  #6 
I've been keeping records for more than 30 years now.  I sit all day during the rut and during that time, I by far see the most and biggest bucks from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m.  Second best time is from daylight to 10 a.m, and third is from 2 to closing.

I usually have 6 to 9 stands set up, and hunt them based on wind direction.  I try to never sit the same stand two days in a row.  Like to give any stand about two days or more between sits.  I hunt the thick woods of Northern Wisconsin and I don't go in way before daylight.  I plan my departure to arrive at my stand a few minutes before shooting time.  Simply not possible to walk up to a mile or more in the woods in the dark without spooking most of what's in the vicinity.  
MikeNova

Reply with quote  #7 
When the weather gets cool I do more mid day hunting.
Kelly

Charter Member
Reply with quote  #8 
I never go in during the dark. One spooks way too many deer in the dark and that just ruins the area. do it several days in a row and you might as well forget it. Always wait until it is light enough for me to see what's in front of me. Never use a flashlight because in some states like Wisconsin and Iowa to name a few, that is considered spotlighting and is illegal. I always leave my evening stands before darkness, legal shooting hours because again I don't want to spook any deer I can't see.

From the 20th of October on ward until end of November morning stands will be used till 11:00 at least and depending upon the moon phase and deer activity seen will sit longer. Rarely will I sit the same stand all day as conditions usually change during the day. 1-2:00 have been my worst times, 9-12:00 very good and 2-closing also very good but then I am not sitting on food sources. Most of my late morning, after 11:00 and early afternoon, 2-3:00 sightings of big bucks are when they are guarding does.

If you've done your homework properly and set up a particular stand site so the deer don't have to cross your entry/exit trail the very best times for success are the first and maybe second time sitting that stand. Rarely will I hunt the same stand twice a week. I'd rather not sit/hunt if the conditions for a particular stand are not in my favor.

The very best conditions for seeing big bucks are when the wind is almost wrong for you. ie parallel scent stream. Bucks do more moving with cross winds than anything else. They can't always move into the wind.

http://www.arrowskp.com

>>>>============> Enjoy the flight of an arrow amongst Mother Nature's Glory! Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible! >>>>============>
Charter Member Traditional Archery Society
fdp

Reply with quote  #9 
  My time in the woods is limited, so I hunt when the opportunity allows. During the rut here in Texas you can see deer any time just like in any other part of the country. I'll also still hunt the creek bottoms during mid day and fairly often find deer loafing around in them. 

I also try and have stands in places that will accommodate different deer movement habits. I like to have a stand near an area that I know the deer use during mid day as a loafing/rest area. I've had deer wonder by either coming from or going to at odd hours. They just get the urge to move for some reason I guess.

I like to have a stand near where the deer travel in the evening, going to a feeding area, and same thing for morning. Travel routes going to or from. 

I'm also one who is not big on going in before daylight.
Clovis6

TAS Upgrade Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Thanks for the advice on areas in the woods where I may have better opportunties during midday. I am going to try several of the ideas the next few times I am able to get out.  There are certainly a wide range of hunting scenarios guys are getting to enjoy and I am very envious.  9 stands? How do you remember them all? 

My situation is pretty restricted compared to many of the posts.  In southeast PA, I hunt a small patch of state game land that can be easily reached by folks from major urban areas in both PA and NJ.  Translates into lots of hunters in a too small space. And of course, since there is no Sunday hunting in PA, the concentration of hunters on Saturday is even higher.  Can't leave a stand up or a blind out there and I don't do climbers because of my bad hip, so it's improvised ground blinds and a leafy poncho. Even perfect set ups (concealment, wind, trails) can be spoiled in an instant by other hunters or hikers moving through the area (like yesterday). I am enjoying being in the woods with a bow in my hand, but the odds of a successful hunt are very low. 

My situation in VA is a little better where I am part of a lease on a property about an hour from my house. But even there, I have to reserve a piece of the property days in advance, be in my stand/blind by 30 min before legal hunting time and can't leave my area until 9.  In the afternoon, I have to be in position by 3 and can't leave until after legal hunting time.  I have a couple of places that have been good to me, but the whole process generally means I only get out there 2-3 times a year.  Especially since work keeps me in PA most of the hunting season now. Also not a recipe for success when so much can change so fast in the woods over the course of the season. I guess I'll just keep at it and see if I can make some magic happen. And try to relax if it doesn't.  This is all supposed to be fun.

Shooting right now (Sep 2020): 
Northern Mist Sprague Longbow, 66", #52
Bodnik Mohawk Chief Longbow, 62", #50
Black Widow PTFX Recurve, 60", #50

Doylestown, PA / Reston, VA
Sam

Reply with quote  #11 
I used to hunt midday more than I do now but never saw nearly as many deer as I do early or late. However, I have seen some really nice deer in the middle of the day.

Gray, GA

"The spirit of the bow dwells in the heart of all young men" - Geronimo

Hill Wesley Special (2, both 65#)
Hill Cheetah (2, one 55# and one 40#)
Hill Big 5 (50#)
NM Shelton (2, both 53#)
Deathwish Longbow (59#)
Archery Traditions Bamboo Longhunter (3, one 56#, one 60# and one 78#)

Gun

Associate Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Some of my best whitetails were taken between 11 and 1 oclock. Ive seen mature bucks scent check scrapes down wind during mid day. I'm sneaking in close to bedding areas and scrape lines. I almost prefer mid day to morning or eve. But I hunt whenever I can. Which is almost every day now that I'm retired. :^)
Proverbs 12:27
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.