photo f2fc6645-3553-483b-b64e-4c19058f6c05_zps121db233.jpg  photo 7B537578-F7C7-4F86-98B8-9F94E0644C33_zpsqirpypxs.jpg  photo jdberry_zpsea01d711.jpg  photo grizzlybroadheads_zps1m2s5rho.jpg  photo banner-kking-160-170_zps48e9d6a9.jpg  photo HolmMadeNewAd_09092014_zpsc4e4691d.jpg  photo truenortharrows_zpsi9ay4gwc.gif  photo 35A0AFC6-0F9E-412C-A64B-EBE54AF0479D_zpsmipyof8e.jpg  photo EEE5CA06-2368-4F2F-A920-0CA562579FE0_zpsm9lvvu1t.jpg  photo northernmist20bcard1_zpssaxw3n46.jpg  photo 072BD871-7553-4294-BBDD-E69370AD1F6A_zpsjismq5n7.jpg                                     photo AFF3B4E3-F518-4092-A4E6-65AE830AB2BE_zpsnuwaaten.jpg  photo f5d37de7-de84-47ad-b248-e8adfe84c5db_zps4oisluth.gif  photo 02c77249-7155-4785-a743-8faf8c694e7a_zpseaj9xlnz.jpg  photo B5D4E580-5A4C-4A25-AC73-D69CDBE82A69_zpsvvtli29v.jpg  photo Dave_shooting_bow_logo202_zpsuskt81vw.jpg  photo image_zps2rrhsrju.jpeg  photo sunsethill_zps551c0207.jpg  photo db77abad-c90f-4ee5-9e34-905fe0c0fd36_zpsleoiybdo.png  photo bigjim_zps76882839.jpg  photo howardhill_large_zps5fd2fcc7.jpg  photo IMG_5966_zpsgrbhwrgb.jpeg  photo Bearpaw_Products_Logo1_zps55d85f33.jpg  photo tradtech_zps697b00c1.jpg  photo a3c08d6f-f669-46b5-8b0c-1480a411cc78_zpsc853b3a6.gif  photo fairbow_zpsc278ec39.jpg  photo F5A4B354-1040-4D43-939F-28ED48F7E5B7_zpsws5ptsc8.jpg  photo coyote track 1_zpshipxn54s.png  photo DF07A98B-41BB-4024-BCF7-A4FCB543D40E_zpsoiduf1m2.png  photo the20footed20shaft_zpsudbyv3ab.jpg  photo blackeaglefinal_zpsfqgqqrcj.png  photo 94936CDE-4CF5-4181-B2F9-FECCA1FE886F_zpsy5nfpirv.jpg photo D49F4739-A11D-4F9D-9D50-4C3EE95E9555_zpswoqwk23o.jpg  photo BF4712C7-9EE6-460F-8380-4E7F08A65416_zpsmluzlgny.jpg  photo bivoucascreenshot_zpscfdgf0n0.jpg  photo 510CA748-680D-4178-8B50-1A4C7F7F895D_zps6b5pjjoc.gif
Traditional Archers | Bowhunters

Author   Comment   Page 13 of 13     «   Prev   10   11   12   13
Gary Schuler

Associate Member
Reply with quote  #301 
Hello, I have been registered for awhile but never got around to the introduction.
I am from Myrtle Point Or and have been shooting ASL’s for 35 years or so. It is all I shoot and I have made a few during the years. Hope to cross paths with you guys someday. Gary
chuckc

Reply with quote  #302 
Welcome Gary. We would love to hear some of your exploits.

Charter Member Traditional Archery Society

I did too !

Madison, Wisconsin.   Public land hunter
JDBERRY

Honoree Member
Reply with quote  #303 
Hey Gary, glad to see you here.  ..OE

Reply with quote  #304 
After being away from traditional archery for six years, it is so good to return.
My wife and I moved back to Texas after a 20-year stay in Colorado.
During those years, I really got drawn into shooting Hill style bows, HHA Big Five or Osage Royale by Chuck Jones.
I was crafting my own arrows and making quivers for family and friends.
Fall would find me on the Western Slopes chasing elks or in Wyoming after pronghorns.
Several injuries slowed me down over the years, but I still loved to see my arrows fly.
Fast-forward a few years and we are back in Texas, in the sprawling San Antonio suburbs.
Church friends asked me to do a short presentation on longbows at our last men's breakfast.
Since I gave my #65 Hill to my oldest son before living Colorado, I ended-up borrowing my youngest's #55 Northern Mist, as well as his arrows and quiver I made for him many years ago. I am not a "collector" (nothing wrong with it) and that Hill was my only bow.
Slinging a few arrows in an open field taught me two things: I am still addicted, but my muscles need to build back up!
I was a member of TG and LW for years, but grew tired of the bickering and "secret handshake" crowd.
I hope to be able to make meaningful contributions to your discussions, as well as to keep on learning.
One of the few things I miss about Colorado is having a decent outdoor range nearby.
First, I will have to get my hands on a bow and get some arrows crafted for it, then I hope to have the opportunity to harass a few pigs one of these Falls.
Thank you for this forum.
God bless,
Chris

TAS Upgrade Member
Reply with quote  #305 
Welcome Chris, and welcome home!
Lots of Texans around here, I’m in Dallas myself. We have a little ranch about 2 hours NW of you though,you’ll have to come visit sometime.

Dallas, Texas
62" #55 Fox High Sierra 
62" #58 Black Widow MA
64" #56 A&H ACS 
Widowmaker 350 Carbon shafts
200 gr. Iron Will 4 blade

Horsehide

Reply with quote  #306 
Thank you. We live in between San Antonio and New Braunfels.
I have had little luck finding an outdoor range or other trad shooters close by.
Still so glad we are back in Texas though.
I have a son who works at Llano State Park, is that close to your ranch? Beautiful area.

TAS Upgrade Member
Reply with quote  #307 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsehide
I have had little luck finding an outdoor range or other trad shooters close by.
I have a son who works at Llano State Park, is that close to your ranch? Beautiful area.

Yes sir, he would only be about 30-40 minutes south of us

If interested, check out the Texas Bowhunter.com site, and they have a traditional page. There are lots of trad guys in your area, and odds are they are on there

Dallas, Texas
62" #55 Fox High Sierra 
62" #58 Black Widow MA
64" #56 A&H ACS 
Widowmaker 350 Carbon shafts
200 gr. Iron Will 4 blade

rjg

Associate Member
Reply with quote  #308 
I've been registered here since 2015 and for some strange reason just decided to make my first posts today. I really enjoy reading the posts and the wealth of knowledge here. My real name is Ron Goodrum and I live in Pleasant View TN. I've been bow hunting and shooting traditional since the early 70's
chuckc

Reply with quote  #309 
Hey Ron. Welcome. Hope you don't keep making yourself scarce.

I did too !

Ravenwolf

Associate Member
Reply with quote  #310 
Hello, I wanted to say a few lines, starting with this is a nice welcoming site, the fact that there is a special place for Hill style is a extra blessing. It was fall 1993 my Jennings compound bow was sick, and I facing buying another on. Back then the trend was to get a new compound every season? So I forget the fine details, but I got a Martin ml10 ? Longbow, and wood arrows, a new direction was born. I started reading, pre internet days, traditional bow hunter magazine was a tremendous resource. I hunted first season with a lot of shooting but clean missing was the order of the day. I practiced and tried to get some form, I read the Asbell books, and got several books through Traditional bow magazine. Second season had a kill or two. I got in touch with John Shultz, and ordered a Grandpa longbow, I really didn’t know what I had, but it was my new bow, seasons and better seasons came, I read the bowyers of America book? .. I was intrigued by the name Frank San Marco, so I contacted him and got on a waiting list, for one of his bows. Life was happening, so I got the FSM, shot it but used the Grandpa, fast forward around 2005/06 had another Frank Marco bow made. Then small farm happened, horse hay, business. Etc. A life’s full of chapters events happened. The whole traditional archery bows gear arrows, arrow making stuff., sold. So, I sold the crossbow, and I am back, shooting a 7 Lakes non dished string follow, and I love it. Thanks: Ravenwolf
chuckc

Reply with quote  #311 
Glad to have you as a member Ravenwolf. Lots of Hill fans here, and lots of knowledge about using them things.

I did too !

J_Foster

Reply with quote  #312 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsehide

Welcome Horsehide. I'm just down the road from you, over in Fair Oaks Ranch/Boerne. I don't post much but do try to get by to catch up every now and again. Regarding an outdoor range, I believe they have one at Camp Bullis that is open to the public. I've yet to check it out. Maybe one day we could meet up and sling a few arrows. I have several bows you'd be welcome to use, as long as you're a lefty 😉 

Cheers,
J. Foster

1. “The White Eagle” - John Schulz - 66” #60@28” - Lefty

2. “The Hunter” - John Schulz - 66” #54@28” - Lefty
3. “Sunbear” - Charlie Lamb - 66” #58@29” - Lefty
4. 2-Piece String-Follow - Brian McBroom - 66” #57@28 - Lefty

Non-ASL:
1. Baleen Whale/Yew longbow - Fred Sevier aka "Tukaluk" - 68" #60@28 - Righty
2. 3-Piece Zipper Extreme - Foam/Carbon limbs with Elk overlays - Lefty

Selfbow:
1. "Spirit Stick" Selfbow - John Strunk - 68" #60@28", Dual shelf 

Horsehide

Reply with quote  #313 
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Foster

Welcome Horsehide. I'm just down the road from you, over in Fair Oaks Ranch/Boerne. I don't post much but do try to get by to catch up every now and again. Regarding an outdoor range, I believe they have one at Camp Bullis that is open to the public. I've yet to check it out. Maybe one day we could meet up and sling a few arrows. I have several bows you'd be welcome to use, as long as you're a lefty 😉 

Cheers,
J. Foster

Thanks for the welcome.
I found a place to shoot about 15 minutes from our house. Nothing fancy, but it is safe and quiet.
The drive to Camp Bullis would take a bit from where we live. The Bierce area is beautiful.
Would love to meet at some point and shoot.
Got my hands on a JD Berry Vixen and made enough arrows to practice with and take to the woods in a few weeks.

Reply with quote  #314 
Good deal, Horsehide. Keep in touch and we'll get together and shoot one day. 
1. “The White Eagle” - John Schulz - 66” #60@28” - Lefty

2. “The Hunter” - John Schulz - 66” #54@28” - Lefty
3. “Sunbear” - Charlie Lamb - 66” #58@29” - Lefty
4. 2-Piece String-Follow - Brian McBroom - 66” #57@28 - Lefty

Non-ASL:
1. Baleen Whale/Yew longbow - Fred Sevier aka "Tukaluk" - 68" #60@28 - Righty
2. 3-Piece Zipper Extreme - Foam/Carbon limbs with Elk overlays - Lefty

Selfbow:
1. "Spirit Stick" Selfbow - John Strunk - 68" #60@28", Dual shelf 

tradlongbow

Administrator
Reply with quote  #315 
Horsehide, Welcome to TAS.

TRADITIONAL BOWHUNTER WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 
Farmland Conservation Club, Winchester, Indiana 

PUBLIC LAND HUNTER
John Schulz Straight Shooting and Bowhunting Graduate
Email: traditionalarcherysociety@yahoo.com

tunamanb52

Associate Member
Reply with quote  #316 
Just got my password back, does a longbow with a slight reflex or backset count as a Hill style? I have one perfect floor tillered signed by both Glen and Jay St Charles and one Sentmen with about 1''backset, and 6 other with reflex and 5 recurves . I am 67 with arthritis and hi BP and stopped hunting, maybe start selling some heavier ones.
tradlongbow

Administrator
Reply with quote  #317 
Hill bows can be straight limb, backset or stringfollow.

Welcome to TAS.

TRADITIONAL BOWHUNTER WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 
Farmland Conservation Club, Winchester, Indiana 

PUBLIC LAND HUNTER
John Schulz Straight Shooting and Bowhunting Graduate
Email: traditionalarcherysociety@yahoo.com

HHAShooter

Associate Member
Reply with quote  #318 
2 a.m. here in Indiana. My name is Marty Lewis. Good morning to you all. Recent membership. Look forward to contributing in any way i can. Been a traditional shooter for over 50 years., Hill or Hill-style bows being my preference. Presently enjoying an '06 Wesley Special, an '05 Big Five, a 1984 Longriver Custom and a 1978 Bamboo Longbow by Tim Meigs. Hard to choose a favorite among them but, if pressed, id have to give the  nod to the Wesley at 55# for a bow i could shoot all day. Although anything up to 65# is a pleasure to shoot. Looking forward to future feedback and conversations.....cheers
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.