photo f2fc6645-3553-483b-b64e-4c19058f6c05_zps121db233.jpg  photo 7B537578-F7C7-4F86-98B8-9F94E0644C33_zpsqirpypxs.jpg  photo jdberry_zpsea01d711.jpg  photo grizzlybroadheads_zps1m2s5rho.jpg  photo banner-kking-160-170_zps48e9d6a9.jpg  photo HolmMadeNewAd_09092014_zpsc4e4691d.jpg  photo truenortharrows_zpsi9ay4gwc.gif  photo 35A0AFC6-0F9E-412C-A64B-EBE54AF0479D_zpsmipyof8e.jpg  photo EEE5CA06-2368-4F2F-A920-0CA562579FE0_zpsm9lvvu1t.jpg  photo northernmist20bcard1_zpssaxw3n46.jpg  photo 072BD871-7553-4294-BBDD-E69370AD1F6A_zpsjismq5n7.jpg                                     photo AFF3B4E3-F518-4092-A4E6-65AE830AB2BE_zpsnuwaaten.jpg  photo f5d37de7-de84-47ad-b248-e8adfe84c5db_zps4oisluth.gif  photo 02c77249-7155-4785-a743-8faf8c694e7a_zpseaj9xlnz.jpg  photo B5D4E580-5A4C-4A25-AC73-D69CDBE82A69_zpsvvtli29v.jpg  photo Dave_shooting_bow_logo202_zpsuskt81vw.jpg  photo image_zps2rrhsrju.jpeg  photo sunsethill_zps551c0207.jpg  photo db77abad-c90f-4ee5-9e34-905fe0c0fd36_zpsleoiybdo.png  photo bigjim_zps76882839.jpg  photo howardhill_large_zps5fd2fcc7.jpg  photo IMG_5966_zpsgrbhwrgb.jpeg  photo Bearpaw_Products_Logo1_zps55d85f33.jpg  photo tradtech_zps697b00c1.jpg  photo a3c08d6f-f669-46b5-8b0c-1480a411cc78_zpsc853b3a6.gif  photo fairbow_zpsc278ec39.jpg  photo F5A4B354-1040-4D43-939F-28ED48F7E5B7_zpsws5ptsc8.jpg  photo coyote track 1_zpshipxn54s.png  photo DF07A98B-41BB-4024-BCF7-A4FCB543D40E_zpsoiduf1m2.png  photo the20footed20shaft_zpsudbyv3ab.jpg  photo blackeaglefinal_zpsfqgqqrcj.png  photo 94936CDE-4CF5-4181-B2F9-FECCA1FE886F_zpsy5nfpirv.jpg photo D49F4739-A11D-4F9D-9D50-4C3EE95E9555_zpswoqwk23o.jpg  photo BF4712C7-9EE6-460F-8380-4E7F08A65416_zpsmluzlgny.jpg  photo bivoucascreenshot_zpscfdgf0n0.jpg  photo 510CA748-680D-4178-8B50-1A4C7F7F895D_zps6b5pjjoc.gif
Traditional Archers | Bowhunters

Author   Comment  
Sam

Reply with quote  #1 
Due to age and general health conditions I have been hunkered down since early March trying to hide from the corona virus. Essentially, I have stayed at home. This has left me with lots of time on my hands. I have been shooting a LOT, almost daily. My efforts have addressed two aspects of my archery needs.

First, I have a poor release. I have a tendency to pluck the string. I have shot many hundreds of arrows from close range, concentrating on form with special emphasis on smooth release. Even though my form still periodically turns brown and starts stinking, overall my release has noticeably improved.

Secondly, I have been trying to become more accurate beyond 20 yards. Again, many hundreds of arrows have been sent down range from 25 to 30 yards. Things are going well, but I still have a long, long way to go before I am proficient. The immediate result is that shots out to 20 yards certainly seem easier to pull off with increased regularity. 

Even though Georgia is opening up, I still intend to proceed slowly. So, I will continue to stay at home for a number of weeks yet. More shooting will be a good pastime, as it has since March. I sure hope when we can attend shoots again, my scorecard will reflect my practice. Surely, it will be helpful come deer season. I hope others who have been trapped at home during this terrible time have been able find some archery related activities to fill at least part of their time. For those of you who have been busily working and helping our communities hold together during this horrendous pandemic, "Thank you". 

How have some of you other guys handled this social down time?

Gray, GA

"The spirit of the bow dwells in the heart of all young men" - Geronimo

Hill Wesley Special (2, both 65#)
Hill Cheetah (2, one 55# and one 40#)
Hill Big 5 (50#)
NM Shelton (2, both 53#)
Deathwish Longbow (59#)
Archery Traditions Bamboo Longhunter (3, one 56#, one 60# and one 78#)

Deno

Charter Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Pretty much the same here Sam.   I shoot pretty much every morning and early evening.  Always something to work on. We've had some rain every other day.  Today was nice, tomorrow rain again so the archery books come out and the coffee pot turned on.   

Deno

Howard Hill Wesley Special 70#
Howard Hill Big 5  65#
Jerry Hill Stalker Deluxe  60#
Jerry Hill Wildcat ll 50#

Northern New Jersey
Dave Weiss

Club Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Hasn't changed my life much. I've always had a small circle of friends and it just might get smaller... Got a new bow on order and I'm making up some new arrows for it. I'm actually saving a bunch of money. Car gets 3 weeks to the gallon... Order my groceries for pickup or delivery, no opportunity for impulse purchases...
Kids are all surviving, all in all, life is pretty good.
I know it's not this good for a lot of folks, we're just trying to make the best of a bad situation...

Comanche1

Reply with quote  #4 
Here too. Not so much hiding from Rona, just no where to go that I can get to. My hunting land is in another state and 6 hours away.
I've been doing much the same and doing some controlled experiments to figure out what works best for my body geometry.
Has been very helpful so far. Trying to come up with the best REPEATABLE form. I've found that the quality of my release depends a lot on my form.
Watched some informative videos and really learning a lot.
chuckc

Reply with quote  #5 
I too am working on form. I am also finding that if i reach full extension (my terms) i get a clean release and follow thru..a very specific , visible follow thru. You/I can immediately tell if the release was good or not.

When not good, it is almost 100% because i was holding with my arm, not my back. That invariably ends with me plucking, i guess due to muscle tension, and my hand coming sideways (just slightly) away from my face. I can literally see the arrow jump away from the riser and can often hear it. Results on the target are obvious.

Charter Member Traditional Archery Society

I did too !

Madison, Wisconsin.   Public land hunter
timking

TAS Upgrade Member
Reply with quote  #6 
My job is considered essential, so really life for me is not much different other than no school for my daughter....THAT is difficult 

as for shooting, at the risk of sounding negativ, I have concluded that 10 yard shots in the driveway correlate very little, if any, to longer shots like Sam is talking about.
Blind bale work( kinda what I consider my driveway shooting, even though I am aiming), has value for me as far as repeatable form, but double that distance and it’s eye opening...
Then, more importantly, I have come to the conclusion, through videoing myself, that  the only time I come to full draw, and a solid anchor, is when I am using a clicker. I REALLY hate admitting that, even to myself..

So, like a lot of y’all, less activity around town has allowed a little more shooting time, but in my case anyway it seems as though not really fruitful.

Dallas, Texas
62" #55 Fox High Sierra 
62" #58 Black Widow MA
64" #56 A&H ACS 
Widowmaker 350 Carbon shafts
200 gr. Iron Will 4 blade

chuckc

Reply with quote  #7 
You discovered your need for a clicker. That is fruitful. And, reality aside, if that is all it takes to make a wanted improvement, heck, do it.

I am hoping that after a quarter million shots in my basement I will be more able to keep that form while i work on longer shots. Maybe I'm dreaming. I seem to do that a lot lately.

I did too !

aromakr

Honoree Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Well this down time has allowed me to discover why my earlier attempts of bow making failed. My lamination grinder in my haste of building it, was producing concaved/convexed lams that were thicker on one side than the other so when I made the attempt to laminate 3 pieces I multiplied the error X3, suddenly a .008 error became .024 problem causing the handle on my ASL to lay over to one side and it went to the same side every time.

I know Howard Hill had the same problem and using the primitive methods he used to grind the lams, I would bet he had the same problem. This down time has allowed me to rebuild my grinder, that should allow a much more accurate grind in the future. Only time will tell and this time I will be producing convex/concave tapered laminations, which certainly complicated the issues but early tests look very promising.

Bob

Reply with quote  #9 
See. There is an upside to all this time around the house.
Huntschool

Associate Member
Reply with quote  #10 
I am about like Sam.   Wife and I are both in the high risk group.  However we live in such a rural county that we feel fairly safe.  Our county has only had 3 confirmed cases and 2 of them are over 3 weeks old now.  Our place is isolated from the general public so the only people we see are each other, occasionally the mail man, and a friend or two that stop by to check on us while practicing social distancing.

We are fortunate in that our daily lives have not changed since this started.  We can shoot 22's off our carport (larger caliber also) out to 100 yards and shoot our bows in the yard or out to 30 yards inside our barn if the weather is wet.  It has been great to shoot as I have been working on tuning a high performance RD long bow for 3D events.  Unfortunately, it seems like most of the big ones and many of the smaller club shoots have been cancelled for this summer.  Wouldn't ya know it.  I am good with that though.  I dont feel like we need to open things back up until there is considerable evidence that we have this pestilence on the run. 

The down side right now for me is I am developing some trouble with my right shoulder.  I guess I will be taking it easy with the bows for a bit until I can get to an ortho guy and see what's going on in there.  Dont want to exacerbate a problem but man, I was really getting everything to start to work its way into place for me. 

Oh well.....  I'll be here until ........  Everyone be safe.

Southeastern Illinois College
AMM 761
Black Widow Bows
Tom M

Charter Member
Reply with quote  #11 

We are staying to ourselves. Go to store during “old folks” hours. Buy what we need and leave. See our neighbors only while walking our GSD. This is an old folks area so almost all are concerned especially those with preconditions. 

Unfortunately shooting isn’t allowed here. I don’t have enough head room in the garage to shoot a LB like I do. So I have strung up a 60# bow and do excerises with it during the day. Not all at once, my back is feeling better and don want to screw it up. I made three bow holders for our belts. My next project is a belt case for my new spy glass. Also going to splice some feathers for a set of woods I want to make. 

As for those who want to get back to normal. I understand the frustration, this pandemic is like nothing we have seen before. Excerise caution and be aware that others may not be as anxious. 

Sun City, Az. by way of San Diego, Ca. Bear TD's Wes Wallace Royal LB, ILF risers and various limbs, Vintage Works 1962 Kodiak reproduction made to my specs

I hunt public land.
Duncan Warren

Associate Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Alot of this....
IMG_3753.jpg 
One arrow, one shot at a time.

D

Sam

Reply with quote  #13 
Duncan, I also shoot only one arrow at a time. It has several advantages. Mainly, it slows me down. Now I tend more to make a shot as opposed to just flinging arrows. It gives me a few moments to review and analyze each shot I make. Also, it helps me get in some walking. I have been shooting often at 25 yards, which amounts to walking 50 yards per shot. Sometimes I shoot as many as 100 shots in a day and walk 2.84 miles. I'm not losing any weight, though, because when not shooting, I'm eating! I'm glad to see that others are able to enhance their archery skills during this bad time. Stay healthy, my friends.

Gray, GA

Hill Big 5 (50#)
NM Shelton (2, both 53#)
Deathwish Longbow (59#)

Sam

Reply with quote  #14 
Well, quite a bit of time has gone by, and many are beginning to break out of Covid quarantine. However, due to several health conditions, I'm staying away from people for a while longer. Meanwhile the extra archery practice has really been worthwhile. Much progress has been made on my issue of plucking the string, yet I still get a little "yippy" every once in a while. Today, I had a string of about 15 shots dead in the center from 25 yards. Man, old Howard would have smiled at that. BUT like so often when things get too good, I got a little cocky, and sure enough, the string was over. It was good while it lasted, though. Distance shooting has also noticeably improved. However, Robin Hood is still not worried about his reputation being surpassed by me any time soon. 

Who else is still extending their quarantine? As you others return to "normal" routines, be careful and stay safe. A number have indicated that they have been working on form and accuracy during this down time, so I would like to hear about your results. Especially interesting are projects such as new bows acquired and new arrows, particularly any you made yourselves. Hopefully, normalcy will permit a few late season 3D events. It will be good to get out and see friends face to face again. 

Gray, GA

Hill Big 5 (50#)
NM Shelton (2, both 53#)
Deathwish Longbow (59#)

aromakr

Honoree Member
Reply with quote  #15 
Another advantage to shooting only one arrow at a time is it gives you muscles sometime to recover from the strains of shooting and this especially true if your shooting a heavier bow. I still shoot 60# so that is important to me.

Bob

Reply with quote  #16 
Sam...i shoot only one arrow at a time, for those same reasons, plus one more. My own piece of mind. I have noticed, and i pay attention, that my groups have gotten much tighter since i started that.

I did too !

James Donahue

Reply with quote  #17 
Chuck, use a skinny arrow and the group will be even tighter

Club Member
Reply with quote  #18 
Sam, I'm with you on continuing the distancing.  I've been out turkey hunting twice by myself and will  go a few more times.  The turkeys are also distancing! 😉

My wife has several respiratory problems as well as diabetes so we are staying with the program. 

That said, I have reason to believe that i have already had it and can identify the exposure.  It would not be possible for me to have had it without the wife catching it too.  So, we may both have had it already.  Of course getting a antibody test is an exposure we won't risk in case we've not had it. Catch 22 sort of. 

So everyone just keep doing whatever is best for your household. 

Associate Member
Reply with quote  #19 
Wife and I are still practicing  the distance thing and wearing face masks if and when we need to go to town.  Hand sanitizer and gloves are also part of the equation.  We have planned on maintaining our status until at least the end of July unless there are some drastic changes.  Our county has only had 4 confirmed cases and now three of them are well over 3 weeks old so I guess we are lucky compared to many others.

I have been shooting just a bit but not as much as I wanted to because of this shoulder thing.  I am hoping to see my family practitioner within a week or so and get an opinion and possibly a referral to an ortho so I can find out what's up and how much I can shoot.  

I have not made any arrows but have these inbound as we speak:

image0.jpeg 

These are Douglas Fir, 40-45 Smaller tapered shafts, 5/16 tapered to 9/32 and stained two tone with custom cut 4" low profile spliced banana fletching.  I am excited .....

For those of us who are in the "high risk" group, please be careful as things open up.  Too soon could mean trouble for us.  Just my opinion......

Southeastern Illinois College
AMM 761
Black Widow Bows
Duncan Warren

Associate Member
Reply with quote  #20 
NC has entered phase 1 of reopening which won't be dramatically different than being on lockdown but will give some businesses some relief. Even so, I will continue to be one of the seldom seen since I am a lung cancer survivor and the cure was to take out a lobe of lung. So I'm in no hurry to catch the Covid.
Meanwhile there are some things that i could do that don't involve crowds. When phase 2 starts I could probably hit the lake. There are local water supplies that don't allow anything but fishing and tend not to be crowded at the ramp area so some fishing time would be welcome.
And of course there is the 3 d course at the club I could go to during the week days. 
I do wear a cloth mask when I have to go to the store and I have tested it and it is not bad to shoot with in case I need it at the club. I made it from camo cloth so would work for hunting too.  And wash those hands people!

D
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.