photo f2fc6645-3553-483b-b64e-4c19058f6c05_zps121db233.jpg  photo 7B537578-F7C7-4F86-98B8-9F94E0644C33_zpsqirpypxs.jpg  photo jdberry_zpsea01d711.jpg  photo grizzlybroadheads_zps1m2s5rho.jpg  photo banner-kking-160-170_zps48e9d6a9.jpg  photo HolmMadeNewAd_09092014_zpsc4e4691d.jpg  photo truenortharrows_zpsi9ay4gwc.gif  photo 35A0AFC6-0F9E-412C-A64B-EBE54AF0479D_zpsmipyof8e.jpg  photo EEE5CA06-2368-4F2F-A920-0CA562579FE0_zpsm9lvvu1t.jpg  photo northernmist20bcard1_zpssaxw3n46.jpg  photo 072BD871-7553-4294-BBDD-E69370AD1F6A_zpsjismq5n7.jpg                                     photo AFF3B4E3-F518-4092-A4E6-65AE830AB2BE_zpsnuwaaten.jpg  photo f5d37de7-de84-47ad-b248-e8adfe84c5db_zps4oisluth.gif  photo 02c77249-7155-4785-a743-8faf8c694e7a_zpseaj9xlnz.jpg  photo B5D4E580-5A4C-4A25-AC73-D69CDBE82A69_zpsvvtli29v.jpg  photo Dave_shooting_bow_logo202_zpsuskt81vw.jpg  photo image_zps2rrhsrju.jpeg  photo sunsethill_zps551c0207.jpg  photo db77abad-c90f-4ee5-9e34-905fe0c0fd36_zpsleoiybdo.png  photo bigjim_zps76882839.jpg  photo howardhill_large_zps5fd2fcc7.jpg  photo IMG_5966_zpsgrbhwrgb.jpeg  photo Bearpaw_Products_Logo1_zps55d85f33.jpg  photo tradtech_zps697b00c1.jpg  photo a3c08d6f-f669-46b5-8b0c-1480a411cc78_zpsc853b3a6.gif  photo fairbow_zpsc278ec39.jpg  photo F5A4B354-1040-4D43-939F-28ED48F7E5B7_zpsws5ptsc8.jpg  photo coyote track 1_zpshipxn54s.png  photo DF07A98B-41BB-4024-BCF7-A4FCB543D40E_zpsoiduf1m2.png  photo the20footed20shaft_zpsudbyv3ab.jpg  photo blackeaglefinal_zpsfqgqqrcj.png  photo 94936CDE-4CF5-4181-B2F9-FECCA1FE886F_zpsy5nfpirv.jpg photo D49F4739-A11D-4F9D-9D50-4C3EE95E9555_zpswoqwk23o.jpg  photo BF4712C7-9EE6-460F-8380-4E7F08A65416_zpsmluzlgny.jpg  photo bivoucascreenshot_zpscfdgf0n0.jpg  photo 510CA748-680D-4178-8B50-1A4C7F7F895D_zps6b5pjjoc.gif
Traditional Archers | Bowhunters

Author   Comment  
Tradslinger

Reply with quote  #1 
About 25 years ago, I was sitting about 18 feet in a pine. It was about 9 am or so and I had been rattling some. It was the day before halloween and a great time to be rattling from my past experience. I had a 60# longbow that I had got in a trade with a guy that I had known. A really nice 10 point was suddenly coming in on the ridge top that I was on. I was pretty comfortable with this bow and immediately got set for the shot.                                                                                                                                                                                              But as I released, something crazy happened with the bow and I watched as the arrow hit very high in the front of the shoulder. For a second I was at a loss as to what had just happened but kept my eye on the buck as it ran by and then down over the edge. I glanced down to my bow and could see that the bow string was now limp and the lower limb limp and useless. No idea why, I always use a stringer for stringing my bows etc. I can't remember the make of the bow or what I did with it afterwards. 10 hours later we put a dog on the buck's trail and jumped it later that night.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          The guy with the dog managed to let the dog loose and the race was on to who knows where. The whole ordeal made me sick and that was my last longbow. Anything has the potential to fail, but for the most part, well taken care of bows last a very long time. Heat can be a bad thing on bows too but this was a fairly cool time. I really like recurves but a good longbow was my true love. Now it would have to be a 35-45# bow and maybe some day it will happen. And that has been the only bow to delamb on me at all. 
"But a man drew his bow without taking special aim and struck the king of Israel through the joints of his armor." 1 Kings 22:34
stickandstring

Reply with quote  #2 
Not while hunting but Ive had a recurve bust while shooting. Brand new too.
thumbnail_IMG_0493.jpg 

Let it Fly ->>---->
James Calamaris

Club Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Nop, can’t say I have.

Club Member Traditional Archery Society

Sam

Reply with quote  #4 
I've had some bad luck but nothing this severe.

Gray, GA

"The spirit of the bow dwells in the heart of all young men" - Geronimo

Hill Wesley Special (2, both 65#)
Hill Cheetah (2, one 55# and one 40#)
Hill Big 5 (50#)
NM Shelton (2, both 53#)
Deathwish Longbow (59#)
Archery Traditions Bamboo Longhunter (3, one 56#, one 60# and one 78#)

James Donahue

Reply with quote  #5 
Never nothing like that

Did once lean over to shoot at a deer  , and unknown to me  the bib overalls musta drooped down , on release the string caught the brass button of the bibs-- woulda been gone if not for a safety strap

a rough uptake for sure

Club Member
Reply with quote  #6 
I actually did...HH Big 5, 80@28, my favorite bow of all time...drawn back on a nice, fat Wisconsin ten point whitetail and the top limb just went limp...I can still see that deer laugh as it walked away...
HHA - Big Five, 93@28"; Schulz American Longbow - Trophy Hunter, 83@28"; HHA - Big Five, 80@28"; Chastain - Wapiti T/D, 77@28"; Bighorn Longbow, 75@28"; Northern Mist Classic, 75@28"; Zebra - Grevy, 74@28"; HHA - Jaguar, 70@28"; HHA - Wesley Special, 70@28"; Kramer - Autumn, 70@28"; Great Plains - Rio Bravo T/D,70@28"; Kramer - Autumn, 74@30";  Kramer - Big Five, 65@28"; Ben Pearson - Hunter, 65@28"; Herter's - Perfection Mag T/D, 64@28"; Bear - Super Kodiak, 60@28"; New Wood - Legacy, 58@28"; Bear - Grizzly, 55@28"

Dedicated to preserving, promoting and hunting on public lands.

Club Member Traditional Archery Society and John Schulz' Shooting Straight Graduate
steelflight

Reply with quote  #7 
I have had wood crack on me with my self bows. A limb flying past your ear is always a fun experience. A sound of cracking will make you throw a bow real fast too.

Club Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Had a bow come new strung it up and Heard a little pop third time I pulled it back the whole top limb delaminated like a banana. It was replaced for free 
Orion

Reply with quote  #9 
Nothing like that ever happened to me.  Back in the early days of compounds, my friend had the cable teardrop pull loose as he drew on a deer.  Pretty much unstrung the bow.
Clydebow

Reply with quote  #10 
No, have never had one break hunting or not. Closest thing to that was when I saw some turkeys while walking to my stand.  Kept my eye on them while removing an arrow from my bow quiver, and cut my string with the broadhead.
centaur

Charter Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Had a selfbow come apart as I drew on a turkey. That was the end of my selfbow hunts.
Tom M

Charter Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Not yet like that. Did manage to close a truck tail gate with a limb from a Black Widow in the way. 

Sun City, Az. by way of San Diego, Ca. Bear TD's Wes Wallace Royal LB, ILF risers and various limbs, Vintage Works 1962 Kodiak reproduction made to my specs

I hunt public land.
Bisch

Reply with quote  #13 
I’ve had several bows break on me, but never while I was hunting. Did have a bow blow while on the practice line at the Oklahoma State Longbow shoot one year. That pretty much ruined that whole day for me!!!!!

Bisch

Primal Tech longbow 50#@29”
Primal Tech recurve 50#@29”
Sarrels Blueridge longbow 50#@29”
Sarrels Bobcatt TD recurve 50#@29.5"
Rob Green selfbow 47#@29”
Lonnie Dye composite 48#@29”

I hail from about 4hrs southwest of Tim King! [biggrin]
Steve Graf

Reply with quote  #14 
I've had 4 bows 'splode on me over the years.  If you shoot enough, it's gonna happen.

Only one caused injury.  I was up in a tree and drew the bow.  That's the last I remember till I looked down and wondered why my bow was lying on the ground all broken up.  Then I wondered why I was in a tree.  Then I wondered why there was blood all over my pants...

Somehow I got out of the tree and back to the house holding my head closed with one hand and opening the door with the other.  Made my way to the bathroom and looked in the mirror to see that the bowstring was still imbedded in my forehead.  Pulled the string out, held the wound closed for another 10 minutes and bandaged it closed with some superglue and tape.  The house looked like somebody got murdered.  Head wounds bleed a lot even if they are small, which this one was.

Every day I get to look in the mirror at the scar and be thankful I didn't lose an eye [eek]
CTDolan

Reply with quote  #15 
Had a compound bow blow up on me once, years ago. In the blink of an eye all hell broke loose, but I managed to come out of it unscathed (unlike Steve!).

Seeing how the only bow I shoot today is a Sunset Hill, I'm not too concerned about it coming apart. 😉
Newell38

Club Member
Reply with quote  #16 
Does a foam deer count? Blew up a 59 Kodiak reboot at a 3d shoot in 2013. I Also blew up a darling built hill back in 2018 at another 3d shoot. Both bows shot really good for me up until the failures. It happens....I’ve owned a few bows over the year and to only have 2 break out of all those isn’t too bad.

Club Member Traditional Archery Society
Justin Newell
Hobart, Indiana
EWill

Reply with quote  #17 
I've had two, not to that extent though, one just recently. I was not happy either time, extreme understatement. I put a lot of arrows through both, never want it to happen again.

I don't like to be high, low, left, or right.
Tradslinger

Reply with quote  #18 
back in the late 80s, had a compound cables come apart, couldn't get it away from me fast enough. Yes, when a bow delams or breaks, it is a loss no matter how you look at it. there is nothing like trailing a deer with a useless bow flopping around in your hand. just makes you sick that it did. I also had a string separate internally into a longer string on a shot as well, wasn't good on the bow or me. it too was on a small buck. To have it happen on an old faithful bow sucks as well. always makes you wonder why it happened in the first place.
"But a man drew his bow without taking special aim and struck the king of Israel through the joints of his armor." 1 Kings 22:34
fdp

Reply with quote  #19 

Every bow is going to fail, it’s just a matter of time. And. There can be things that can speed up the process.

A delamination isn’t typically caused by mistreatment, it’s caused by faulty construction techniques. Improper preparation of laminations, insufficient pressure when gluing up, dry glue joint, etc.. In a delamination typically the layers just peel apart.

The old adage that leaving a plastic/glass laminated bow in a vehicle is really an old wive’s tail. On more than one occasion I have left the windows in my truck rolled up in the summer time in Texas and recorded the temperature every hour during the hottest part of the day. Never once did it ever get hot enough to reverse the glue bond of good epoxy. I suppose that if you left the bow in direct sunlight it might, but even then, I’d be skeptical.  I’m not saying you should leave your bow in a closed up vehicle but there other things that are more dangerous like stringing and unstringing, dry fires, etc..

The picture you show isn’t a delamination. That’s a catastrophic failure caused by some kind of structural failure in the core. Either a fracture caused by something external, or a fracture caused by internal issues with the laminations
Mike C.

Reply with quote  #20 
I had one of my favorite hunting bows come apart durning a practice session between morning and afternoon hunting. This was a 68” 90 lb bamboo HH style that I had about five years and the only bow that I didn’t make myself. It was a present to myself after I retired. Durning the practice session I noticed the brace height was off so I destrung it using the step thru method, shorten the string and started to restring it. Durning this I heard a crack and watched the upper limb come apart. This was my favorite hunting bow but I was glad it didn’t happen at full draw. Durning the afternoon hunt I found myself texting the bower and to my surprise he built a replacement at cost to me even thu I had it five years. I’m sure the damage was from a defect in the material. I am profoundly grateful to the bower for his concern in this matter. I sure hope I don’t experience this again from any of my bows but like we all know if you shoot enough chances are you will.

WhistlingBadger

Associate Member
Reply with quote  #21 
I had a bamboo-backed hickory flatbow come apart on my once.  I was sitting on a hill glassing a valley for muleys when I heard a little "ting," and noticed my string was loose.  Bamboo had just popped loose.  Glad it didn't happen while I was shooting.

I bought two bows from that company (Rudderbows) at the same time.  The other was a tri-lam English longbow that was one of the sweetest bows I've ever shot...until it developed crysals around a knot on the belly.  That company has since gone out of business.  Hm, I wonder why.

T

http://www.whistlingbadger.com
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.