photo f2fc6645-3553-483b-b64e-4c19058f6c05_zps121db233.jpg  photo 7B537578-F7C7-4F86-98B8-9F94E0644C33_zpsqirpypxs.jpg  photo jdberry_zpsea01d711.jpg  photo grizzlybroadheads_zps1m2s5rho.jpg  photo banner-kking-160-170_zps48e9d6a9.jpg  photo HolmMadeNewAd_09092014_zpsc4e4691d.jpg  photo truenortharrows_zpsi9ay4gwc.gif  photo 35A0AFC6-0F9E-412C-A64B-EBE54AF0479D_zpsmipyof8e.jpg  photo EEE5CA06-2368-4F2F-A920-0CA562579FE0_zpsm9lvvu1t.jpg  photo northernmist20bcard1_zpssaxw3n46.jpg  photo 072BD871-7553-4294-BBDD-E69370AD1F6A_zpsjismq5n7.jpg                                     photo AFF3B4E3-F518-4092-A4E6-65AE830AB2BE_zpsnuwaaten.jpg  photo f5d37de7-de84-47ad-b248-e8adfe84c5db_zps4oisluth.gif  photo 02c77249-7155-4785-a743-8faf8c694e7a_zpseaj9xlnz.jpg  photo B5D4E580-5A4C-4A25-AC73-D69CDBE82A69_zpsvvtli29v.jpg  photo Dave_shooting_bow_logo202_zpsuskt81vw.jpg  photo image_zps2rrhsrju.jpeg  photo sunsethill_zps551c0207.jpg  photo db77abad-c90f-4ee5-9e34-905fe0c0fd36_zpsleoiybdo.png  photo bigjim_zps76882839.jpg  photo howardhill_large_zps5fd2fcc7.jpg  photo IMG_5966_zpsgrbhwrgb.jpeg  photo Bearpaw_Products_Logo1_zps55d85f33.jpg  photo tradtech_zps697b00c1.jpg  photo a3c08d6f-f669-46b5-8b0c-1480a411cc78_zpsc853b3a6.gif  photo fairbow_zpsc278ec39.jpg  photo F5A4B354-1040-4D43-939F-28ED48F7E5B7_zpsws5ptsc8.jpg  photo coyote track 1_zpshipxn54s.png  photo DF07A98B-41BB-4024-BCF7-A4FCB543D40E_zpsoiduf1m2.png  photo the20footed20shaft_zpsudbyv3ab.jpg  photo blackeaglefinal_zpsfqgqqrcj.png  photo 94936CDE-4CF5-4181-B2F9-FECCA1FE886F_zpsy5nfpirv.jpg photo D49F4739-A11D-4F9D-9D50-4C3EE95E9555_zpswoqwk23o.jpg  photo BF4712C7-9EE6-460F-8380-4E7F08A65416_zpsmluzlgny.jpg  photo bivoucascreenshot_zpscfdgf0n0.jpg  photo 510CA748-680D-4178-8B50-1A4C7F7F895D_zps6b5pjjoc.gif
Traditional Archers | Bowhunters

Author   Comment  
Tradslinger

Reply with quote  #1 
I have always been of the nature to leave as little sign as possible where I hunt. Even more so on public land where I hunt the most. I also try to hide my trails into my spots to avoid people finding my spots and taking them over or stealing my stands. But a lot of people don't think this way and leave trails of trash going into an area plus all around where they hunt. I had this one spot with a few early scrapes that was an old grown up road. Where this old road joined the main road, it had a thick stand of head high pines blocking it. To avoid re-opening the old road and attracting others by way of an easy path, I simply found a way to the old road about fifty yards down. This area was timberland that cut and harvested on cycles and replanted with pine. So there were a lot pine plantations of varvious sizes and ages. This meant some very thick dense timber to try to hunt in.                                                                                                                                                                                           Anyways, it was the opening weekend of muzzleloading season so I didn't go in to this stand to hunt for the sheer number of people. Monday morning way before daylight I had parked about a hundred yards from my trail entrance and walked to it. As I got onto the old road, I thought that the tall grass and weeds looked like they had been mashed some. Then I spotted the trash as I walked, and they left the trash. So now I was concerned about my stand but it was there and so I climbed up into it and got settled. It was dark but the sun was trying to peek over the horizon. Then I heard a rig coming and then I heard the commotion as it got through the deep ditch and onto the old road. Minutes later after slamming the doors several times, I heard the beeping of the vehicle being locked. I knew then that this wasn't going to be a good morning.                                                                                                                                                                                                                     Sure enough, I see the light coming my way and so I finally spoke to let the guy know that I was there. Immediately he began cussing me for hunting out of his stand. After I established the fact that I had been hunting out of this tree for 2 weeks now, he finally stormed off. As daylight came, I could see his ladder stand 20 feet from mine. I heard him drive by several times as he slowed down at the road. Finally I decided to just pull my stand and leave so that he couldn't do anything to it or steal it. Didn't hunt there for two years. But all around his stand were soda bottles, candy wrappers and everything else.  I had to clean it all up the next time I came in.  We live in the mountains and they are beautiful and this brings in a lot of people that love them but then they leave their trash behind all over the place. Don't make it obvious that you hunt there with your trash!
"But a man drew his bow without taking special aim and struck the king of Israel through the joints of his armor." 1 Kings 22:34
chuckc

Reply with quote  #2 
In part why i morphed into hunting from the ground in a ghillie.

Charter Member Traditional Archery Society

I did too !

Madison, Wisconsin.   Public land hunter
Tom M

Charter Member
Reply with quote  #3 

TradSlinger, well written. That guy you ran into reminds me of an college student I watched finish his lunch in his car. He opened the door and put the trash on the ground. The trash can wasn’t 20 feet away. Lazy or poor parental guidance, who knows. 

When my son was involved in Scouts the motto was take what you brought in and leave only footprint.

Sun City, Az. by way of San Diego, Ca. Bear TD's Wes Wallace Royal LB, ILF risers and various limbs, Vintage Works 1962 Kodiak reproduction made to my specs

I hunt public land.
Tradslinger

Reply with quote  #4 
I had a spot on the ridge that I had hunted for several years, especially before gun season. I had a hang on stand set up in this huge oak tree over looking a narrow gap for my wife. Then one morning she found that someone had taken a dump at her steps and smeared it all over. She couldn't believe anyone would do anything like that but the stand was pulled and we never hunted there again. People can be slobs and jerks, I pulled the stands that were locked on because all that does is barely slow them down if they mean to steal them. My grandfather taught us to both respect the land and land owner's rights as well as to not leave any sign that screamed "hunt here." 
"But a man drew his bow without taking special aim and struck the king of Israel through the joints of his armor." 1 Kings 22:34
Recurveaholic

Associate Member
Reply with quote  #5 
And I really like the guys who put up stands in every single spot they can find to put one trying to lay claim to the whole area and then get mad and cuss you for hanging a stand in their spot which is loaded with the trash you are talking about!! This is why I started saddle hunting so I don't have any stands for anyone to get and I can get away from most of these types of people!! And like @chuckc is doing I am making a ghillie suit to use some this year also!
Clydebow

Reply with quote  #6 
I hunt public land it S. ILL. You are only allowed to place one stand, and it has to be marked with your name, address, and phone number. Some areas (state land)  you can leave your stand from mid Sept. to mid Jan. Others it must be removed daily. On the Federal land it's daily. Last year I found a climbing stand still attached to the bottom of a tree on federal land at the end of March. No name etc on the stand. There was a bunch of candy wrappers and about 20 empty plastic water bottles scattered around the tree. I contacted the federal cpos. They asked me what brand stand it was. After I told them, they said they new who it was. Made him come out and clean up the whole area. When you do illegal stuff on federal land, they can confiscated everything you have with you. 
Sam

Reply with quote  #7 
I think most of us who have been hunting for a while have run into those who trash the woods and who will take over s stand. I had an incident that happened on private property. My uncle owned the property, and I was the only person with permission to hunt. One morning I arrived at my stand, and a stranger was in it. He then asked me where I was going to hunt, since this stand was already occupied. Keep in mind that I was only about 18 at the time and not especially smooth and diplomatic. I immediately replied that I was going to hunt this stand, and he was going to vacate it. Then, I started climbing the tree to put forcefully him out, not the brightest decision, I admit. He realized I was serious, so he agreed to give it up. Luckily, it didn't become the situation that it could have. I wish states would pass laws that consider it stealing a stand  to occupy it if that stand that doesn't belong to you. I would certainly prosecute somebody for this. Now that I own my small place, I will prosecute a trespasser without hesitation. 

Gray, GA

"The spirit of the bow dwells in the heart of all young men" - Geronimo

Hill Wesley Special (2, both 65#)
Hill Cheetah (2, one 55# and one 40#)
Hill Big 5 (50#)
NM Shelton (2, both 53#)
Deathwish Longbow (59#)
Archery Traditions Bamboo Longhunter (3, one 56#, one 60# and one 78#)

steelflight

Reply with quote  #8 
This is one reason I love hunting out west. Tree stands are not as popular. However trash is still an ever present problem.

Associate Member
Reply with quote  #9 
What is wrong with people?  Don't get me started.  It's enough to turn a person into a grumpy old man... [nono]
http://www.whistlingbadger.com
stickandstring

Reply with quote  #10 

I find myself picking up every day. What kind of world are we leaving for our kids?

It bewilders me why people litter. Styrofoam for example will be there forever, glass 500 years, plastics 100 years plus.

Let it Fly ->>---->
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.