photo f2fc6645-3553-483b-b64e-4c19058f6c05_zps121db233.jpg  photo 7B537578-F7C7-4F86-98B8-9F94E0644C33_zpsqirpypxs.jpg  photo jdberry_zpsea01d711.jpg  photo grizzlybroadheads_zps1m2s5rho.jpg  photo banner-kking-160-170_zps48e9d6a9.jpg  photo HolmMadeNewAd_09092014_zpsc4e4691d.jpg  photo truenortharrows_zpsi9ay4gwc.gif  photo 35A0AFC6-0F9E-412C-A64B-EBE54AF0479D_zpsmipyof8e.jpg  photo EEE5CA06-2368-4F2F-A920-0CA562579FE0_zpsm9lvvu1t.jpg  photo northernmist20bcard1_zpssaxw3n46.jpg  photo 072BD871-7553-4294-BBDD-E69370AD1F6A_zpsjismq5n7.jpg                                     photo AFF3B4E3-F518-4092-A4E6-65AE830AB2BE_zpsnuwaaten.jpg  photo f5d37de7-de84-47ad-b248-e8adfe84c5db_zps4oisluth.gif  photo 02c77249-7155-4785-a743-8faf8c694e7a_zpseaj9xlnz.jpg  photo B5D4E580-5A4C-4A25-AC73-D69CDBE82A69_zpsvvtli29v.jpg  photo Dave_shooting_bow_logo202_zpsuskt81vw.jpg  photo image_zps2rrhsrju.jpeg  photo sunsethill_zps551c0207.jpg  photo db77abad-c90f-4ee5-9e34-905fe0c0fd36_zpsleoiybdo.png  photo bigjim_zps76882839.jpg  photo howardhill_large_zps5fd2fcc7.jpg  photo IMG_5966_zpsgrbhwrgb.jpeg  photo Bearpaw_Products_Logo1_zps55d85f33.jpg  photo tradtech_zps697b00c1.jpg  photo a3c08d6f-f669-46b5-8b0c-1480a411cc78_zpsc853b3a6.gif  photo fairbow_zpsc278ec39.jpg  photo F5A4B354-1040-4D43-939F-28ED48F7E5B7_zpsws5ptsc8.jpg  photo coyote track 1_zpshipxn54s.png  photo DF07A98B-41BB-4024-BCF7-A4FCB543D40E_zpsoiduf1m2.png  photo the20footed20shaft_zpsudbyv3ab.jpg  photo blackeaglefinal_zpsfqgqqrcj.png  photo 94936CDE-4CF5-4181-B2F9-FECCA1FE886F_zpsy5nfpirv.jpg photo D49F4739-A11D-4F9D-9D50-4C3EE95E9555_zpswoqwk23o.jpg  photo BF4712C7-9EE6-460F-8380-4E7F08A65416_zpsmluzlgny.jpg  photo bivoucascreenshot_zpscfdgf0n0.jpg  photo 510CA748-680D-4178-8B50-1A4C7F7F895D_zps6b5pjjoc.gif
charles lamb
When I was in my teens I got my hands on some Mid nocks. That's the same nock that Howard Hill liked.  I had problems with them. I just couldn't keep them on the string. I mean about every third shot I'd dry fire one. I quit using them.

Well recently I got the urge to try them again. I thought they looked cool. So I ordered half a dozen and got them after just a couple of days.

I went out to the shop and put one on an arrow and shot it into my practice target. There didn't seem to be a problem until about the third or fourth shot, then "BLANG". Dry fire and on top of that the bow had gone limp in my hand. It was broken. I should have left well enough alone.
IMG_1033.jpg  broken longbow.jpg 
Quote 0
docpain
Dang! Sorry to see that happen. I hope it wasn’t your favorite bow.
If it isn't life or death, it's no big deal.
Quote 0
Jacques Bonin
Dodge plastic make similar however much better nock!!! I too am sorry to see that!!!
2015 Honoree Member - Traditional Archery Society
Quote 0
aromakr
Charles, ouch that hurts!  But don't blame the nock. Unlike snap nocks a parallel nock groove needs a snug fit to the string, not really tight just snug. If its the "Mid nock" that Stotler makes they have a tapered groove, it gets smaller towards the bottom of the groove. Those I don't like because when seated you can't move the nock up or down the string.

Bob
Life Member PBS - Member TBM -Life Member Calif. Big game club - Sponsor Traditional Archery Society
Quote 0
Tom M
Threw the ones I had away back in the 90’s. The 18 strand B-50 string with serving I was using won’t fit in the nock groove. I didn’t care for how shallow the groove was either. Stayed with the Mercury nocks.
Charter Member Traditional Archery Society

Sun City, Az. by way of San Diego, Ca. Bear TD's Wes Wallace Royal LB, ILF risers and various limbs, Vintage Works 1962 Kodiak reproduction made to my specs

I hunt public land.
Quote 0
JDBERRY
I'm with you Charlie, I love the looks of the mid nock.  Back in the early 90s, I used them but the ears keep braking. Looks is one thing, but that's a shame.  OE
Medical Lake, Washington State
Quote 0
charles lamb
Yeah, those are the Stotler nocks. I thought they might hold on enough being tapered like they are. I think I'll stick with the Bohning nocks.
I've got an all bamboo (natural) in the works anyway so I'll be ok. As soon as OMC is back in production and I can get a couple of yew lams. I'm shooting my Vixen pretty good anyway. 

Thanks for the condolences guys. I liked that bow.
Quote 0
GaryL
About a year ago I wanted to give the Stotler nocks a try.  I bought a couple dozen, glued them up and went out back to shoot.

I noticed I was also having issues with occasional dry firing but not because the nock fell off the string but because some of the nocks would break upon release. 

After a couple of weeks and 4 broken nock dry fires I grabbed the remaining arrows and lightly squeezed the nocks.  They were breaking very easily, they felt very brittle.

Needless to say, I stopped using them.

The only thing I can figure is that maybe there is a lot of very old inventory being sold and the nocks are no longer good.  I believe that plastic over time will weaken and become brittle depending on the type.

Now that I think about it, company selling mentioned on their site that colors were limmited and that they would only be avail while inventory lasts.  Must have been real old stock.

I will be sticking with the Bohning from now on.

By the way Charles, this is off topic but I finally ordered your book on Amazon and what an enjoyable read!  I really liked it and had a lot of fun reading the stories.  I personally had more fun reading your book over HH's Hunting the Hard Way.  Thanks for taking the time to publish it!
HH Redman 66" 58# @27"
HH Cheetah 70" 60# @28"
HH Tembo 68" 72# @28"
HH Limited Edition Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep 66" 60# @26"
Long River 66" 65" @28
Bear Montana 64" 55# @28"
John Strunk Ocean Spray Spirit Stick 35# @27
John Strunk Traditional Spirit 65# @26"
John Strunk Mollegabet, Yew/Bamboo Backed 45# @27
Yew Self Bow, 53# @28" (Made with John Strunk)
Pacific Ghost Osage Longbow 76# @29"
Browning Wasp 45#
73' Bear Kodiak Hunter 60" 50# @28"
Damon Howatt Cabelas Edition, 55# @28, AMO 60"

Mission Viejo, CA
Quote 0
Nater D
Dang, Charlie. Sorry about your bow.
Quote 0
charles lamb
GaryL.... thanks bud. Glad you enjoyed the stories.
Quote 0
JDBERRY
Charlie, massage sent.
Medical Lake, Washington State
Quote 0
Jack Skinner
Charlie I tried them as well. Didn't like the taper, they didn't fit my strings so I tried filing them out. They became to weak and would break. As usual Howard had skills us mere mortals cannot seem to duplicate.

I agree about your book just pick it up recently myself. I really enjoyed the part about Fred Bear picking up things from the hunt area as a "talisman" of sorts. I have done that for years. It is usually a rock or stone that catches my eye.

I have been slowly working on building a natural myself, a build along maybe with your skill would be sweet!
Jack Skinner

Self Bows, OE's; Heritage, Vixen, Misty Dawn, Heritage II x 2 "The Twins", North Star x 2 Crown Jewel and Cousin It, 7 Lakes SF Carolina Night, Miller Sage, Ramer, Schulz Grandpa, Sunset Hill, Shelton

Cheyenne WY
Quote 0
centaur
Note to self; don’t use those nocks. Dang Charlie, that sucks!
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton
Buffalo, Wyoming
Quote 0
Fallhunt

Looking at the photo of your beautiful bow that has been destroyed by a dry fire is enough to make a grown man cry!  It reinforces a recent decision of mine to better protect my bows from another possible cause for a dry fire.

I enjoy having zero accessories attached to my beautiful physically light-weight simple-design straight limb HHA Tembo ASLs except for a brass nock set attached to the string.  I am sure that I have posted on threads bragging about this theme.  I also enjoy bracing my bows by the push-pull method. 

During this past UNSUCESSFUL hunting season that I devoted to “still hunting”, I found myself placing my bottom limb tip on unfamiliar ground in the dark to unstring my bow after a day of “still hunting” (or at least after walking around all day carrying my bow).  After such an unstringing in the dark, I attempted to brace my bow again on a following morning.  The string slid limply up the upper limb.  I immediately assumed that the bottom loop had uncharacteristically disengaged from the bottom limb tip nock groove.  Instead I observed that the bottom string loop appeared to have been cut neatly as with a knife.  I was sick to my stomach with visions of the string loop waiting until after I was holding the bow at full draw to fully break and the possible catastrophic results!!!  That is, I imagined by beautiful bow looking like yours!

I am assuming that I must have accidentally dragged the bottom string loop over a sharp object that was slightly buried beneath the soil.  Illinois is famous for the depth of its rich black soft topsoil that is often measured in feet rather than inches.  Therefore, my bottom limb tip always sinks a bit into the soft topsoil while bracing and unstringing the bow.  HHA strings are known for their high quality.  I knew that this particular string only had approximately between 3,000 and 4,000 shots on it.  I know this because of my habit of having a small manual tally counter attached to my belt loop that I use to track my practice shots.  I immediately called Craig and ordered a new HHA string for my bow PLUS three rubber limb tip protectors.  Now, all three of my HHA Tembo ASLs are sporting bottom limb tip protectors.  The only difference that I have noticed is the increase in my peace of mind while bracing and unstringing my bows.

Some added accessories are good! LOL

Southern Illinois
HHA Legend Stick Longbows 45#, 50# & 53#
HHA Tembo Longbows 30#, 40# & 45#
Bear Montana Longbows 30#, 40#, & 50#
Lemonwood Self-Bow Longbow 30#
Ben Pearson Pony Longbow/Semi-Recurve 30# (Purchased New Summer 1966)
Ben Pearson Super Jet Recurve (All Fiberglass) 45# (New Jan. 1970)
Bear Super Kodiak Recurve 55#

PROUDLY an Irredeemable Deplorable

Quote 0
Selden Slider
Just dip the nock in boiling water and immediately set to the serving.  Squeeze the nock and it will close around the serving.  The same for nocks which are too tight.  Those you just set to the serving, no squeezing and it will open up to the exact size of the serving.  Frank
Quote 0
OrionII
FallH:  Placing the lower limb tip between the sole and side of your shoe/boot would keep it in place for the push-pull stringing. If you just rest it in the dirt, the tip is much more likely to slide to the side if the push-pull isn't in line.  
Quote 0
longcruise
I shoot with a loose nock.  Loose enough that the arrow will fall off the string if not held in place.  No dryfires..... until a couple days ago.  I use a thin one piece DIY split finger tab.  Made of veg or oil tan about 1/16" thick.  I had given my tab away and made another out of thicker leather and consequently lost my usual feel for the arrow.  That was the culprit.  I had never realized how much I depended on that feel to keep the arrow in place.  Back to the thin stuff.
Longcruise
Colorado PUBLIC LAND HUNTER
Quote 0
Fallhunt
OrionII wrote:
FallH:  Placing the lower limb tip between the sole and side of your shoe/boot would keep it in place for the push-pull stringing. If you just rest it in the dirt, the tip is much more likely to slide to the side if the push-pull isn't in line.  

Thanks for the advice.  It is good advice. 

I do place the lower limb tip under my instep.  Most footwear allows the lower limb tip to catch beneath my instep and pull upwards on the side of my shoe rather than the tip pressing into the ground.  My current favorite hunting boots allow this upwards pressure to slide the bottom limb tip up my shoe rather than catching beneath my instep when the limb tip is placed above the boot sole and off the ground.  With these boots (great boots otherwise), I put the bottom limb tip on the ground against the boot sole at the position of my instep.  By putting some downward pressure on the ground, the limb tip stays in place while still exerting most of the upwards pressure against the shoe sole rather than down on the ground.  This is one reason that I concluded (incorrectly) that this method would not damage the limb tip of my beautiful bow.  I can’t honestly claim that I even gave any thought to possibly damaging the bowstring loop.

I have not used the limb tip protectors long, but I have now shot all three of my HHA Tembo ASLs after installing the limb tip protectors.  I might eventually discover unexpected drawbacks with time that will change my current favorable attitude, but so far I really like them.

Southern Illinois
HHA Legend Stick Longbows 45#, 50# & 53#
HHA Tembo Longbows 30#, 40# & 45#
Bear Montana Longbows 30#, 40#, & 50#
Lemonwood Self-Bow Longbow 30#
Ben Pearson Pony Longbow/Semi-Recurve 30# (Purchased New Summer 1966)
Ben Pearson Super Jet Recurve (All Fiberglass) 45# (New Jan. 1970)
Bear Super Kodiak Recurve 55#

PROUDLY an Irredeemable Deplorable

Quote 0
OrionII
[thumb][thumb]
Quote 0