photo f2fc6645-3553-483b-b64e-4c19058f6c05_zps121db233.jpg  photo 7B537578-F7C7-4F86-98B8-9F94E0644C33_zpsqirpypxs.jpg  photo jdberry_zpsea01d711.jpg  photo grizzlybroadheads_zps1m2s5rho.jpg  photo banner-kking-160-170_zps48e9d6a9.jpg  photo HolmMadeNewAd_09092014_zpsc4e4691d.jpg  photo truenortharrows_zpsi9ay4gwc.gif  photo 35A0AFC6-0F9E-412C-A64B-EBE54AF0479D_zpsmipyof8e.jpg  photo EEE5CA06-2368-4F2F-A920-0CA562579FE0_zpsm9lvvu1t.jpg  photo northernmist20bcard1_zpssaxw3n46.jpg  photo 072BD871-7553-4294-BBDD-E69370AD1F6A_zpsjismq5n7.jpg                                     photo AFF3B4E3-F518-4092-A4E6-65AE830AB2BE_zpsnuwaaten.jpg  photo f5d37de7-de84-47ad-b248-e8adfe84c5db_zps4oisluth.gif  photo 02c77249-7155-4785-a743-8faf8c694e7a_zpseaj9xlnz.jpg  photo B5D4E580-5A4C-4A25-AC73-D69CDBE82A69_zpsvvtli29v.jpg  photo Dave_shooting_bow_logo202_zpsuskt81vw.jpg  photo image_zps2rrhsrju.jpeg  photo sunsethill_zps551c0207.jpg  photo db77abad-c90f-4ee5-9e34-905fe0c0fd36_zpsleoiybdo.png  photo bigjim_zps76882839.jpg  photo howardhill_large_zps5fd2fcc7.jpg  photo IMG_5966_zpsgrbhwrgb.jpeg  photo Bearpaw_Products_Logo1_zps55d85f33.jpg  photo tradtech_zps697b00c1.jpg  photo a3c08d6f-f669-46b5-8b0c-1480a411cc78_zpsc853b3a6.gif  photo fairbow_zpsc278ec39.jpg  photo F5A4B354-1040-4D43-939F-28ED48F7E5B7_zpsws5ptsc8.jpg  photo coyote track 1_zpshipxn54s.png  photo DF07A98B-41BB-4024-BCF7-A4FCB543D40E_zpsoiduf1m2.png  photo the20footed20shaft_zpsudbyv3ab.jpg  photo blackeaglefinal_zpsfqgqqrcj.png  photo 94936CDE-4CF5-4181-B2F9-FECCA1FE886F_zpsy5nfpirv.jpg photo D49F4739-A11D-4F9D-9D50-4C3EE95E9555_zpswoqwk23o.jpg  photo BF4712C7-9EE6-460F-8380-4E7F08A65416_zpsmluzlgny.jpg  photo bivoucascreenshot_zpscfdgf0n0.jpg  photo 510CA748-680D-4178-8B50-1A4C7F7F895D_zps6b5pjjoc.gif
Traditional Archers | Bowhunters

Author   Comment  
SteveL

TAS Upgrade Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Hi All,

First, I wish everyone a Happy and Healthy New Year! and good shooting and hunting too.

Just purchased a new Kodiak takedown. I've wanted one since I was a kid and that was many moons ago. Anyway, the limbs are difficult to lock down, so much so that I'm afraid to press the lock/hinge home. I'm afraid of putting too much pressure on them and breaking something. Is this something that wears in or do you think something is wrong?

Thanks!
tradlongbow

Administrator
Reply with quote  #2 
I’ve had a couple of the Bear takedowns. Are you sure the top limb is on the top and the bottom limb is on the bottom.

TRADITIONAL BOWHUNTER WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 
Farmland Conservation Club, Winchester, Indiana 

PUBLIC LAND HUNTER
John Schulz Straight Shooting and Bowhunting Graduate
Email: traditionalarcherysociety@yahoo.com

SteveL

TAS Upgrade Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Yep, every thing is oriented correctly. From the looks of things the locating pins won't seat in the hole. Not sure where to go from here. Everything I see on Utube shows the limbs locking down without much effort at all.
tradlongbow

Administrator
Reply with quote  #4 
Those retaining screws will are in different places for the top and bottom limb.

PUBLIC LAND HUNTER

tradlongbow

Administrator
Reply with quote  #5 
Is there anything in front of the limb butt that’s keeping it from sitting in the limb pocket?

PUBLIC LAND HUNTER

SteveL

TAS Upgrade Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Not that I can see. Hard to believe something is out of spec. But maybe that is the case. Though more likely its operator error. Guess I'll gently fiddle with things and see I come up with a solution.
tradlongbow

Administrator
Reply with quote  #7 
Those retaining screws only keep the limb in place. The screws can be removed and shot without them.

PUBLIC LAND HUNTER

SteveL

TAS Upgrade Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Thanks! Darren. I would have never thought of that.
tradlongbow

Administrator
Reply with quote  #9 
I sent a message to my friend that’s a bowyer for Bear. I might not get a reply until tomorrow but I’ll let you know what he says.

PUBLIC LAND HUNTER

SteveL

TAS Upgrade Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Awesome, thank you very much!
Selden Slider

Charter Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Steve, some pics would help.  Frank

Charter Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Check the little screw that holds the latch keeper in place. On some risers they used and allen head screw and it creates seating problem.
Or as mentioned above you may have to open the line up holes. IMG_0272.jpg

TAS Upgrade Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Hi Guys, I'm away from home until the 2nd. I'll send pics then. Again, thanks to all for all the input and help.
Hud

Reply with quote  #14 
I have several risers and limbs and have experience a tight fit as well. It may be pressure under the leather buffer at the bottom of the latch it prevents wear on the limb and noise. No not remove it because the limbs will end up making noise. Just make sure the alignment is good and press the latch to close. The alignment screws at the base are to prevent someone from reversing the top and bottom limb. If the limbs seat properly, the leather buffer will compress with time.
Kelly

Charter Member
Reply with quote  #15 
Are these Grayling limbs you are trying to mount to a new riser, or vice versa?

http://www.arrowskp.com

>>>>============> Enjoy the flight of an arrow amongst Mother Nature's Glory! Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible! >>>>============>
Charter Member Traditional Archery Society
SteveL

TAS Upgrade Member
Reply with quote  #16 
Nope, both limbs and riser are brandy new; just received them early last week
OrionII

Reply with quote  #17 
If the issue is that the limbs won't seat over the positioning pins, you can remove the pins as has been suggested.  I personally don't like that solution.  However, if you take the positioning screws out, and the limbs fit, then you know what the problem is.  If that's the case, the limb butts are too long. Just take a sanding block and sand the limb butts. Good idea to place the limb on a flat surface and use a square sanding block to do the sanding so you keep everything square.  Doesn't take much.  A sixteenth of an inch or so.  Sand a little.  Try the limb and repeat as necessary. Before you take a sanding block to the limbs, jiggle them around a bit as you try to seat them.  Also, determine how close they are to fitting over the positioning screws.

On the other hand, if the limbs do seat over the alignment screws, and it still seems very difficult to close the latches, don't force them.  Either the limb bases are too thick back to belly (and that sometimes happens) or the leather wrap on the latch is too thick. Can remove the leather and see how that works.  If the latches then close easily, replace with a thinner leather or tape.  Can also sand the limb bases, but that can be a job to keep everything square.  If this is the problem you might be better off sending the bow back to Bear. 

Regardless, if the latches don't want too close, don't force them or you could pull out the two screws that hold the base of the latch mechanism to the bow.  There should be a little tension the last 1/4 to 1/8-inch before the latch slips under the notched retaining post, but if it feels like the latch just won't go any further, don't force it.  Either do one of the fixes suggested or send it back to Bear.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

P.S. Would help if you could post a picture or two to illustrate the problem as best you can.
Oldschool

Charter Member
Reply with quote  #18 
Send the bow back to Bear to fix or replace the bow.

TAS Upgrade Member
Reply with quote  #19 
After some thought on the matter, I'm going to follow Oldschool's advice. I don't feel comfortable fiddling with it and taking a chance of messing up a near thousand dollar bow. Many thanks to all who took the time to offer advice. It was/is very much appreciated.
SteveL

TAS Upgrade Member
Reply with quote  #20 
Just wanted to report back. Yay! all is right with cosmos now. Factory service was very good and the turn around time was good too. I love this bow. I put off buying one for like 50 years and I have to say it shoots every bit as good if not better than the customs I have on the rack. Thanks again to all the took the time to offer advice. I definitely learned a thing or two.
Orion

Reply with quote  #21 
[thumb][thumb]
Shick

Charter Member
Reply with quote  #22 
SteveL,  good deal. We expect everything to be perfect when we spend hard earned money, but sometimes a little patience with the 'bowyer' is all that is needed.  Too much 'bad mouthing' goes on and we deny ourselves to otherwise enjoy a fine product.  Good luck with your TD.
Shick
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.