photo f2fc6645-3553-483b-b64e-4c19058f6c05_zps121db233.jpg  photo 7B537578-F7C7-4F86-98B8-9F94E0644C33_zpsqirpypxs.jpg  photo jdberry_zpsea01d711.jpg  photo grizzlybroadheads_zps1m2s5rho.jpg  photo banner-kking-160-170_zps48e9d6a9.jpg  photo HolmMadeNewAd_09092014_zpsc4e4691d.jpg  photo truenortharrows_zpsi9ay4gwc.gif  photo 35A0AFC6-0F9E-412C-A64B-EBE54AF0479D_zpsmipyof8e.jpg  photo EEE5CA06-2368-4F2F-A920-0CA562579FE0_zpsm9lvvu1t.jpg  photo northernmist20bcard1_zpssaxw3n46.jpg  photo 072BD871-7553-4294-BBDD-E69370AD1F6A_zpsjismq5n7.jpg                                     photo AFF3B4E3-F518-4092-A4E6-65AE830AB2BE_zpsnuwaaten.jpg  photo f5d37de7-de84-47ad-b248-e8adfe84c5db_zps4oisluth.gif  photo 02c77249-7155-4785-a743-8faf8c694e7a_zpseaj9xlnz.jpg  photo B5D4E580-5A4C-4A25-AC73-D69CDBE82A69_zpsvvtli29v.jpg  photo Dave_shooting_bow_logo202_zpsuskt81vw.jpg  photo image_zps2rrhsrju.jpeg  photo sunsethill_zps551c0207.jpg  photo db77abad-c90f-4ee5-9e34-905fe0c0fd36_zpsleoiybdo.png  photo bigjim_zps76882839.jpg  photo howardhill_large_zps5fd2fcc7.jpg  photo IMG_5966_zpsgrbhwrgb.jpeg  photo Bearpaw_Products_Logo1_zps55d85f33.jpg  photo tradtech_zps697b00c1.jpg  photo a3c08d6f-f669-46b5-8b0c-1480a411cc78_zpsc853b3a6.gif  photo fairbow_zpsc278ec39.jpg  photo F5A4B354-1040-4D43-939F-28ED48F7E5B7_zpsws5ptsc8.jpg  photo coyote track 1_zpshipxn54s.png  photo DF07A98B-41BB-4024-BCF7-A4FCB543D40E_zpsoiduf1m2.png  photo the20footed20shaft_zpsudbyv3ab.jpg  photo blackeaglefinal_zpsfqgqqrcj.png  photo 94936CDE-4CF5-4181-B2F9-FECCA1FE886F_zpsy5nfpirv.jpg photo D49F4739-A11D-4F9D-9D50-4C3EE95E9555_zpswoqwk23o.jpg  photo BF4712C7-9EE6-460F-8380-4E7F08A65416_zpsmluzlgny.jpg  photo bivoucascreenshot_zpscfdgf0n0.jpg  photo 510CA748-680D-4178-8B50-1A4C7F7F895D_zps6b5pjjoc.gif
Traditional Archers | Bowhunters

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
HillsTrad

TAS Upgrade Member
Reply with quote  #26 
Guys, thanks for adding the other broadhead protecting ideas and pics. I'm realizing these quivers are more versatile than I would have considered, and can be customized to shoot and hunt as you prefer.  They look really awesome too in the shared pics, like James' with sheath knife added, and Chuck's all decked out with patches, pins etc.
66" HHA Wesley Special TD, 46@28
58" Fox Breed, 48@28
58" Red Wing Hunter, 49@28
64" Toelke Whip HS, 43@28
66" WF Lark ILF w/Sky "Belcher" LB limbs, 48@28

cosi

Associate Member
Reply with quote  #27 
Hill used to fill his quiver with oats.
Selden Slider

Charter Member
Reply with quote  #28 
I'd like to ask how Red Beard gets the BHs back into the sheaths.  I have some but can't figure out how to get the BHs back into them once pulled.  After all they are at the very bottom of a full quiver.

Nice design Chuck. 

My BH holding devices vary from quiver to quiver.  One has nothing right now but I plan on adding a piece of sole leather to the inside bottom for re-enforcement.  A second has fleece on the bottom.  This works great for keeping the BHs separated but does little to re-enforce the bottom.  My third has a tin plate under a shaped piece of inner tube.  They all work to some extent.  I rely mostly on the fit of the quiver to keep arrows in place.   That alone keeps BHs away from each other.  The use of sheaths?  Until someone can explain how to get them back into the sheaths, well I don't know.  Frank

Reply with quote  #29 
Well if I’m hunting,which is the only time I would use something like that,I usually don’t I go commando,,I’m only drawing a broad head as needed for a shot
So resheathing can be done if needed by taking my quiver off and sliding the broad head back in

Reply with quote  #30 
Honestly...I very typically have a floppy or double sided taped on single broad head cover mounted on my riser. When I get into the woods I draw an arrow, stow the tip into the sheath, hold the shaft against the bow, and go to hunting. It is protected, it is easy as heck to nock up, and it is how I do it.

Charter Member Traditional Archery Society

I did too !

Madison, Wisconsin.   Public land hunter
two4hooking

Charter Member
Reply with quote  #31 
I honestly don't know why you guys all need these elaborate "fixes" for a problem I don't seem to have?  Maybe I am just not picky enough?.... 

There have been Ragans in Cecil County since colonial times, with Charles Ragan appearing in a 1761 list of persons paid a bounty for squirrel scalps.

HillsTrad

TAS Upgrade Member
Reply with quote  #32 
ChuckC,
Would you mind posting a pic please showing detail of sheath mount on riser and how you hold the arrow while hunting. Not an option I'd ever considered, but imagining it may be quicker/less motion than pulling 1st arrow out of a quiver.

58" Fox Breed, 48@28

Nater D

Reply with quote  #33 
I’m on the same page as Two4. I touch my heads up a few times a season, and even when I do take them out to touch up, they’re never dull or beat up. Just isn’t an issue, or I don’t view it as one anyway...
chuckc

Reply with quote  #34 
I'm just not as good as you guys, so I experiment. I will post some pix in a bit. Black widow has / had a single arrow set up that I use for this, as well as home made stuff. I have used the " bottom" piece as well....works.. but I tend to leave it off now.

I did too !

David Mitchell

Reply with quote  #35 
Quote:
Originally Posted by two4hooking
I honestly don't know why you guys all need these elaborate "fixes" for a problem I don't seem to have?  Maybe I am just not picky enough?.... 

Greg, maybe a solution looking for a problem? [rolleyes]
charles lamb

Reply with quote  #36 
cosi... what's your source for the oats statement please? 
chuckc

Reply with quote  #37 
Kevin..here are a couple quick pics. Remember...there is no "right" way....only the way that fits you, your bow, your style....and yes your thoughts on what a bow / arrow should look and feel like.

I don't nock an arrow till it's time to use it. Yeah...I may miss out on some unexpected run away shot...but I would likely gut shoot it ( if I hit it at all) anyway cause I am not as good a shot as most here, so I don't do that. Anyway..I like to have an arrow, carried safely and quietly, available with minimal movement. I also usually like to wear my back quiver. So...

I did too !

chuckc

Reply with quote  #38 
20190104_080030.jpg there are many similar iterations..glue on, tie on.  Pick one.  I suggest keeping it on the riser area of bow.  The one above is / was sold by Black Widow.  I don't  tend to use the bottom piece any more, but it worked fine.

I did too !

chuckc

Reply with quote  #39 
When in game area, I pull a broad head from the back quiver and walk with it tucked safely in the hood, my hand holding the shaft more or less in place. 20190104_080114.jpg whatever feels best for you.

It's just another option available.

I did too !

chuckc

Reply with quote  #40 
If you like carrying your bow by the string instead of gripping the handle, use that bottom rubber piece too.  Keep it on the lower riser section.  Don't  matter if they are close together, the quiver will be empty when you shoot anyway.

I did too !

HillsTrad

TAS Upgrade Member
Reply with quote  #41 
ChuckC,
Thanks for sharing the pics and info about how you like to use that single arrow sheath on the bow. I've never tried anything like that, but now I'll experiment with it as well. I can definitely see potential when still hunting through thick coast range terrain in my area. I've tried moving through that stuff with an arrow nocked, knowing that I may not have time, or ample room/clearance to quickly and silently get an arrow out of any style of quiver... but sometimes it's not very practical squeezing yourself and bow through cover that way either. 

58" Fox Breed, 48@28

longcruise

Club Member
Reply with quote  #42 
I don't use a back quiver because I need to have a day pack on for most hunts that often involve five or six miles.  So, the side quiver is my solution but quietly retrieving an arrow from a side quiver without too much movement can be difficult.  

I use the same solution as Chuck however I always use the bottom arrow holder to allow easier movement through thick stuff or steep hill climbs.  Even on an ASL I'm able to leave the broadhead in the sheath to draw and use a small gamer in case of grouse attack.

Using a back quiver is so popular here on TAS that I'm pretty much compelled to try to use one and plan to do that this year for casual shooting and short hunts without a day pack.

Mine are homemade like the pictures.  The bottom holder is made out of a Piggy Backer.  Both are tied on with just about anything that is handy, artificial sinew, leather stitching thread or some doubled up B50.  

IMG_5732.jpg 

IMG_5733.jpg 

Charter Member
Reply with quote  #43 
I hunt with my arrow on the string and ready to go. Want to keep my bow bare or I’d just use a bow quiver. I’ve come to embrace “simple is better” concept.

There have been Ragans in Cecil County since colonial times, with Charles Ragan appearing in a 1761 list of persons paid a bounty for squirrel scalps.

longcruise

Club Member
Reply with quote  #44 
I don't care for the idea of carrying a nocked arrow but have done it at least for short distances.  

two4, If you followed me around for a day I guarantee you would not do well keeping an arrow nocked on the bow. [biggrin]

Charter Member
Reply with quote  #45 
I've done it since I could shoot a bow. Hunted all types of terrain and states. Ain't my first rodeo. When i need to crawl through brush the arrow comes off the string, is held in my bow hand, quiver under the arm, and it goes right back on the string on the other side. Yes, I have to crawl quite often here. I hold the bow with arrow on at all times in the tree too. Never understood why guys need to hang a tradbow. Sometimes shots come quickly. Need to be ready.

longcruise

Club Member
Reply with quote  #46 
I'm a hold the bow with arrow nocked guy too when in a sit and wait situation but I don't climb trees anymore since the early '90's.

The other thing that I deal with is a damaged left leg from a broken femur.  Anytime I get off the beaten path I need a stout and long walking stick to stay out of trouble.

Reply with quote  #47 
Mine are in my back quiver unless on stand or think gonna need it

too chicken to walk around with one on the string (they are too sharp and pointed for me)

mostly a sit and wait ground hunter

Charter Member
Reply with quote  #48 
The only time I carry an arrow nocked on the string is if I am stalking up on an animal that I have already seen or waiting for one to come to me. To easy to slip and fall in the rough terrain I hunt and I don’t want to take the risk of getting hurt or breaking my arrow. If the shot is going to happen so fast that I have to carry an arrow nocked all the time I will just have to pass on it and wait for another. I do hunt out west where the terrain is more open but can also be quite rough.

JD Berry Morning Star 54#@28, Northern Mist Classic 54#@28Sovereign Ballistik 60#28, Howatt Hunter 55#@28, Ben Pearson Mustang 46#@28

"But God demonstrates His own love towards us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us."  Romans 5:8

"The problem is not guns, It's hearts without God, Homes without discipline, Schools without prayer, and Courtrooms without justice" ; unknown.

Durango, Colorado
Public Land Hunter
Sam

Reply with quote  #49 
I used to walk with an arrow on the string all the time and never gave it a second thought. Fortunately, I never had any problems. I never could travel the woods with any semblance of quietness, so I no longer try. Now, I walk to my stand and back to the truck with all my arrows in the quiver and my bow unstrung.

Gray, GA

"The spirit of the bow dwells in the heart of all young men" - Geronimo

Hill Wesley Special (2, both 65#)
Hill Cheetah (2, one 55# and one 40#)
Hill Big 5 (50#)
NM Shelton (2, both 53#)
Deathwish Longbow (59#)
Archery Traditions Bamboo Longhunter (3, one 56#, one 60# and one 78#)

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.