photo f2fc6645-3553-483b-b64e-4c19058f6c05_zps121db233.jpg  photo 7B537578-F7C7-4F86-98B8-9F94E0644C33_zpsqirpypxs.jpg  photo jdberry_zpsea01d711.jpg  photo grizzlybroadheads_zps1m2s5rho.jpg  photo banner-kking-160-170_zps48e9d6a9.jpg  photo HolmMadeNewAd_09092014_zpsc4e4691d.jpg  photo truenortharrows_zpsi9ay4gwc.gif  photo 35A0AFC6-0F9E-412C-A64B-EBE54AF0479D_zpsmipyof8e.jpg  photo EEE5CA06-2368-4F2F-A920-0CA562579FE0_zpsm9lvvu1t.jpg  photo northernmist20bcard1_zpssaxw3n46.jpg  photo 072BD871-7553-4294-BBDD-E69370AD1F6A_zpsjismq5n7.jpg                                     photo AFF3B4E3-F518-4092-A4E6-65AE830AB2BE_zpsnuwaaten.jpg  photo f5d37de7-de84-47ad-b248-e8adfe84c5db_zps4oisluth.gif  photo 02c77249-7155-4785-a743-8faf8c694e7a_zpseaj9xlnz.jpg  photo B5D4E580-5A4C-4A25-AC73-D69CDBE82A69_zpsvvtli29v.jpg  photo Dave_shooting_bow_logo202_zpsuskt81vw.jpg  photo image_zps2rrhsrju.jpeg  photo sunsethill_zps551c0207.jpg  photo db77abad-c90f-4ee5-9e34-905fe0c0fd36_zpsleoiybdo.png  photo bigjim_zps76882839.jpg  photo howardhill_large_zps5fd2fcc7.jpg  photo IMG_5966_zpsgrbhwrgb.jpeg  photo Bearpaw_Products_Logo1_zps55d85f33.jpg  photo tradtech_zps697b00c1.jpg  photo a3c08d6f-f669-46b5-8b0c-1480a411cc78_zpsc853b3a6.gif  photo fairbow_zpsc278ec39.jpg  photo F5A4B354-1040-4D43-939F-28ED48F7E5B7_zpsws5ptsc8.jpg  photo coyote track 1_zpshipxn54s.png  photo DF07A98B-41BB-4024-BCF7-A4FCB543D40E_zpsoiduf1m2.png  photo the20footed20shaft_zpsudbyv3ab.jpg  photo blackeaglefinal_zpsfqgqqrcj.png  photo 94936CDE-4CF5-4181-B2F9-FECCA1FE886F_zpsy5nfpirv.jpg photo D49F4739-A11D-4F9D-9D50-4C3EE95E9555_zpswoqwk23o.jpg  photo BF4712C7-9EE6-460F-8380-4E7F08A65416_zpsmluzlgny.jpg  photo bivoucascreenshot_zpscfdgf0n0.jpg  photo 510CA748-680D-4178-8B50-1A4C7F7F895D_zps6b5pjjoc.gif
Traditional Archers | Bowhunters

Author   Comment  
aromakr

Honoree Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Its time to start another early style bamboo laminated Hill style. I'm doing a few things different as an experiment. Changing the backing is probably the biggest difference and I've cooked the lams more giving them a deeper brown color. Pictures will follow. I finished grinding the lams this morning and have the stack glued up. Will probably post some pictures tomorrow. And this bow will be a two piece take down. shooting for 55/60@27" and of course left handed!

Bob

Club Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Can’t wait!

Club Member Traditional Archery Society
Justin Newell
Hobart, Indiana
Deno

Charter Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Lookin' forward to pics Bob

Deno

Howard Hill Wesley Special 70#
Howard Hill Big 5  65#
Jerry Hill Stalker Deluxe  60#
Jerry Hill Wildcat ll 50#

Northern New Jersey
tradlongbow

Administrator
Reply with quote  #4 
Subscribing to this post.

TRADITIONAL BOWHUNTER WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 
Farmland Conservation Club, Winchester, Indiana 

PUBLIC LAND HUNTER
John Schulz Straight Shooting and Bowhunting Graduate
Email: traditionalarcherysociety@yahoo.com

silverarrow

Club Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Sounds like a challenge. Have fun!
Northern Mist American TD 51#
Howard Hill, The Big Five (Tim Meigs) 57#
Sovereign Sonoran 58#
Browning Wasp 52#
Ryan Gill Osage Hunter (self bow) 52#
steelflight

Reply with quote  #6 
Popcorn in front. Notepad in hand. Lets get started!

TAS Upgrade Member
Reply with quote  #7 
I am in for this, how do you grind your lams?

Self Bows, OE's; Heritage, Vixen, Misty Dawn, Heritage II x 2 "The Twins", North Star x 2 Crown Jewel and Cousin It, 7 Lakes SF Carolina Night, Miller Sage, Ramer, Schulz Grandpa, Sunset Hill, Shelton

Cheyenne WY
aromakr

Honoree Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Jack:
I made a grinder from a Grizzley knife grinder, made convex/concaved wheels and a adjustable platen for the lam to ride on. It works great but is slow, you have to take a very small bite to get a uniform grind.
Bob
Lam grinder pic's 003.jpg  Lam grinder pic's 008.jpg 

Honoree Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Ok! here the beginning.

The first pic will be the lams after heat treating, I the sanded down by hand the high nodes to make it easier going through the lam grinder. You can see how dark I took the heat treating by looking at the very end of the lam you will see the original color for about 2-3 inches. ASL build bow3  take 1 001.jpg  ground the lams concave/convex, not really worrying how thick they were as this will be treated like a self bow after laminating ASL build bow3  take 1 004.jpg  ASL build bow3  take 1 004.jpg   both sides of all the lams were then wiped down with alcohol to insure no contaminations were present, I'm using three lams of natural cane and one lam of edge grain laminated cane. The edge grain will be on the belly. I'm using West Systems G-Flex 650 to laminate the cane. This is a relatively new epoxy on the market that I've had great success with, as well as some professional bowyers, and its packaged in smaller size that don't cost an arm and leg. ASL build bow3  take 1 005.jpg  Time for glue up, I'm putting about 1" of backset in the glue up as it will probably straighten out some after shooting, this is an unknown as I have never used the backing material I will be using before. ASL build bow3  take 1 007.jpg  Glue up went well. Now its time for the backing. Since the back of the bow is convex I can't use regular fiberglass as it will fracture trying to bend it around the lam, so I found on e-bay a fiberglass material that is used to insulate the pipes on motorcycles, its about 2" wide/ woven and a little thicker than I wished, however nothing ventured nothing gained. I will saturate the webbing in West Systems standard boat epoxy. This material is very runny and will saturate the webbing and will essentially give me a woven fiberglass, it will be applied to the back wet and will conform the every curve and dip on the back. ASL build bow3  take 1 009.jpg    that application went well so far, of course I will know more once the bow is cut out and tillering begins. ASL build bow3  take 1 011.jpg  Here is the stack with the sides cleaned up. ASL build bow3  take 1 013.jpg  I've decided the riser will also be made of cane, I had a piece that was too close to the heat source and was cooked too much so I cut them into smaller pieces and they are now glued up also with G-flex 650. ASL build bow3  take 1 014.jpg  by the way, G-flex 650 is very thick, very much like smooth on.
That all for now folks, will report back as things progress.

Bob

Reply with quote  #10 
Very nice. Thank you

Charter Member Traditional Archery Society

I did too !

Madison, Wisconsin.   Public land hunter
Oldschool

Charter Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Very interesting Bob I can hardly wait to hear your comments after it is complete. 

Associate Member
Reply with quote  #12 
I remember seeing a Howard Hill bow made by Jim Darling with a convex back. 

Honoree Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Edition #2:

The riser is completed, I added a narrow piece of Blk/White ebony to give it a little color, it looked rather drab as it was. Bow build #3 pic2 002.jpg  Now is the time to clean up both sides of the stack and trim it to a little wider than 1" I did that on my table saw with a carbon blade. Bow build #3 pic2 004.jpg  The back of the bow being flat, both sides will be square to the back and parallel. Now clean both sides with alcohol so the tape will stick well and lay out the limb side tapers. Bow build #3 pic2 005.jpg      Bow build #3 pic2 006.jpg The line across the limb is to be the string groove location, next photo is the limb center. Bow build #3 pic2 007.jpg  Above is the limb layout. I make layout lines on both sides of the limb. Then saw out the limb profile. Bow build #3 pic2 009.jpg  I then sand to the line on my knife grinder sander, using the bows belly flat on the platen so both sides will remain parallel and square to the belly. Bow build #3 pic2 010.jpg  Bow build #3 pic2 011.jpg  I then lay out the limb taper on the belly and ground to a ruff taper.  Bow build #3 pic2 013.jpg    Its now time to cut string grooves and begin the hand work getting the limbs to bend correctly and tiller. That will be in the next segment, in a few days.
Thanks for watching.
Bob

I should add; I'm really happy with the glue lines to this bow, I'm getting better grinding the concaved/convex lams, no dips as the last lams had Bow build #3 pic2 016.jpg  Bow build #3 pic2 017.jpg 

Charter Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Very nice Bob.  Waiting for Chapter 2  [thumb]

Deno

Howard Hill Wesley Special 70#
Howard Hill Big 5  65#
Jerry Hill Stalker Deluxe  60#
Jerry Hill Wildcat ll 50#

Northern New Jersey
Mgmicky

Reply with quote  #15 
Looking good Bob!

————————————————————
East Tennessee
Old Sailor

Charter Member
Reply with quote  #16 
Very interesting!  Enjoying the build a long!

JD Berry Morning Star 54#@28, Northern Mist Classic 54#@28Sovereign Ballistik 60#28, Howatt Hunter 55#@28, Ben Pearson Mustang 46#@28

"But God demonstrates His own love towards us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us."  Romans 5:8

"The problem is not guns, It's hearts without God, Homes without discipline, Schools without prayer, and Courtrooms without justice" ; unknown.

Durango, Colorado
Public Land Hunter
aromakr

Honoree Member
Reply with quote  #17 
Well guy's don't know what happened, but I had a complete failure, strung the bow up with only a 4" brace height and the handle is laying over to one side about 30 degrees. I guess that all.\

Bob

Reply with quote  #18 
Try and try again.
Jack Skinner

TAS Upgrade Member
Reply with quote  #19 
That sucks Bob! Hang in there

Self Bows, OE's; Heritage, Vixen, Misty Dawn, Heritage II x 2 "The Twins", North Star x 2 Crown Jewel and Cousin It, 7 Lakes SF Carolina Night, Miller Sage, Ramer, Schulz Grandpa, Sunset Hill, Shelton

Cheyenne WY
chuckc

Reply with quote  #20 
Yeah, it sucks but....those glue joints did look nice. You are getting that grind job down. Keep us in the loop on the next build.

Charter Member Traditional Archery Society

I did too !

Madison, Wisconsin.   Public land hunter
steelflight

Reply with quote  #21 
Your making me want to try

Associate Member
Reply with quote  #22 
I’ve been interested in building an all-bamboo CC/CV ASL for some time now (thanks to Hill!), and have been picking up bits of info here and there with that goal in mind. So I’ve been following your build-alongs with a lot of interest. Thanks for posting!

Out curiosity, would you be willing to share what species of bamboo you are using?
Oldschool

Charter Member
Reply with quote  #23 
David Miller once told me he started to really understand bow building after about a couple hundred bows and David was taught by John Schulz, knowledge and experience are the fundamental building blocks. And my hats off to anyone who wants to take the effort and time to learn. Good for you Bob Burton.

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.