photo f2fc6645-3553-483b-b64e-4c19058f6c05_zps121db233.jpg  photo 7B537578-F7C7-4F86-98B8-9F94E0644C33_zpsqirpypxs.jpg  photo jdberry_zpsea01d711.jpg  photo grizzlybroadheads_zps1m2s5rho.jpg  photo banner-kking-160-170_zps48e9d6a9.jpg  photo HolmMadeNewAd_09092014_zpsc4e4691d.jpg  photo truenortharrows_zpsi9ay4gwc.gif  photo 35A0AFC6-0F9E-412C-A64B-EBE54AF0479D_zpsmipyof8e.jpg  photo EEE5CA06-2368-4F2F-A920-0CA562579FE0_zpsm9lvvu1t.jpg  photo northernmist20bcard1_zpssaxw3n46.jpg  photo 072BD871-7553-4294-BBDD-E69370AD1F6A_zpsjismq5n7.jpg                                     photo AFF3B4E3-F518-4092-A4E6-65AE830AB2BE_zpsnuwaaten.jpg  photo f5d37de7-de84-47ad-b248-e8adfe84c5db_zps4oisluth.gif  photo 02c77249-7155-4785-a743-8faf8c694e7a_zpseaj9xlnz.jpg  photo B5D4E580-5A4C-4A25-AC73-D69CDBE82A69_zpsvvtli29v.jpg  photo Dave_shooting_bow_logo202_zpsuskt81vw.jpg  photo image_zps2rrhsrju.jpeg  photo sunsethill_zps551c0207.jpg  photo db77abad-c90f-4ee5-9e34-905fe0c0fd36_zpsleoiybdo.png  photo bigjim_zps76882839.jpg  photo howardhill_large_zps5fd2fcc7.jpg  photo IMG_5966_zpsgrbhwrgb.jpeg  photo Bearpaw_Products_Logo1_zps55d85f33.jpg  photo tradtech_zps697b00c1.jpg  photo a3c08d6f-f669-46b5-8b0c-1480a411cc78_zpsc853b3a6.gif  photo fairbow_zpsc278ec39.jpg  photo F5A4B354-1040-4D43-939F-28ED48F7E5B7_zpsws5ptsc8.jpg  photo coyote track 1_zpshipxn54s.png  photo DF07A98B-41BB-4024-BCF7-A4FCB543D40E_zpsoiduf1m2.png  photo the20footed20shaft_zpsudbyv3ab.jpg  photo blackeaglefinal_zpsfqgqqrcj.png  photo 94936CDE-4CF5-4181-B2F9-FECCA1FE886F_zpsy5nfpirv.jpg photo D49F4739-A11D-4F9D-9D50-4C3EE95E9555_zpswoqwk23o.jpg  photo BF4712C7-9EE6-460F-8380-4E7F08A65416_zpsmluzlgny.jpg  photo bivoucascreenshot_zpscfdgf0n0.jpg  photo 510CA748-680D-4178-8B50-1A4C7F7F895D_zps6b5pjjoc.gif
Traditional Archers | Bowhunters

Author   Comment  
Ric O'Shay

Charter Member
Reply with quote  #1 
A couple of days ago I experienced a incident that was a first for me. I was shooting my new Bear A riser that I'd received from Big Jim's. After about 20 shots, as I was drawing the next arrow, I heard a loud POW, the bow flew out of my hands and hit the ground. The top limb was about 3 feet from the rest of bow. After close inspection, all parts were (except for a few ground scars) there with one exception. The catch lip for the top attachment assembly was 1/2 gone. A systematic search of the ground turned up the top section of the catch lip. Seems that lip had broken allowing the hinge to open and the top limb to come flying out.
I called several Bear Archery dealers and to a letter, each only had the complete latch assembly. Well, at $35.00 or so plus shipping, I decided to call Bear Archery Customer Service. I got what seemed to be a very nice gentleman. After a short explanation by me, his first words were, "That's never happened before!" After accepting my apology for being the first in line with this issue, he asked if I had contacted any of their dealers. I said that I had but to the dealer each had offered to sell the entire latch assembly. They had no individual parts to sell. 
I was placed on hold for less than a minute. He came back and wanted my name and address and stated the parts were in Gainesville and he would have two of them shipped to me at no charge. That was yesterday and I'm anxiously awaiting the delivery service. 

Bisch

Reply with quote  #2 
There’s nothing like good customer service to give a good rep to a company!

Glad they are fixing you up Danny. It always sucks rotten eggs when a bow breaks!!! Question though, if the bow is new, shouldn’t this be a warranty issue??? Why would the dealers only want to sell you a part, and not replace under warranty???

Bisch

Primal Tech longbow 50#@29”
Primal Tech recurve 50#@29”
Sarrels Blueridge longbow 50#@29”
Sarrels Bobcatt TD recurve 50#@29.5"
Rob Green selfbow 47#@29”
Lonnie Dye composite 48#@29”

I hail from about 4hrs southwest of Tim King! [biggrin]
Deno

Charter Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Sounds like top notch Customer Service for sure.

Deno

Howard Hill Wesley Special 70#
Howard Hill Big 5  65#
Jerry Hill Stalker Deluxe  60#
Jerry Hill Wildcat ll 50#

Northern New Jersey
Ric O'Shay

Charter Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Bisch - you've asked a question only the dealers can answer. It seems they only carry the complete TD assembly...no individual parts

timking

TAS Upgrade Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Danny,
I would like to be a fly on the wall watching you draw that bow for the first time after repair!

I dunno, I kinda have mixed opinion on that one...I am glad they are getting you the part at n/ch, but....

Dallas, Texas
62" #55 Fox High Sierra 
62" #58 Black Widow MA
64" #56 A&H ACS 
Widowmaker 350 Carbon shafts
200 gr. Iron Will 4 blade

Kelly

Charter Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Ric, did that latch catch have a good, working spring behind it? Never have heard of that one either. Did this happen at full draw or upon release? Glad you are ok.

http://www.arrowskp.com

>>>>============> Enjoy the flight of an arrow amongst Mother Nature's Glory! Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible! >>>>============>
Charter Member Traditional Archery Society
Tradslinger

Reply with quote  #7 
some guy named Forest Gump said it all when he said that .... happens and it does. usually to me, things totally unheard of LOL. But for you it finally had to be a breath of fresh air to get someone that could and did help you. great to see that they stood behind their product too. sure hope that all is well and that it performs awesome for you
"But a man drew his bow without taking special aim and struck the king of Israel through the joints of his armor." 1 Kings 22:34
Ric O'Shay

Charter Member
Reply with quote  #8 
  • Kelly - Yes it did and still does have a good spring behind it. It broke right where the latch goes over and secures the arm. It did not break the lip off but broke the meaty  portion of the latch exactly where the lip meets the latch arm. It happened just as I was reaching full draw. Another split second and I would have released the arrow, but alas, the broke bow beat me to it. [smile] 

Bisch

Reply with quote  #9 
This still just boggles my mind that they did not immediately say “Send that bow back to us, and we will have a replacement on the way out today”!!!!!!

Bisch

Bisch

Reply with quote  #10 
Oops! Double post

Bisch

James Calamaris

Club Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Rick, just a little curious, why didn’t Big Jim take care of it?

Club Member Traditional Archery Society

Ric O'Shay

Charter Member
Reply with quote  #12 
It was like the word "warranty" was deleted from everyone's vocabulary. All were ready to sell the complete latch assembly but no one had individual parts. Bear was the only one that had parts and sent them free of charge.

James - the lady at Big Jim's said they only had the complete assembly and referred me to the Bear factory.

Hud

Reply with quote  #13 
Ric, I have the same A riser, and would suggest checking to see if the locator screw is in the limb assembly.  On mine, if the screw were missing the limb would drop out of the pocket, or recessed base, where the limb slides under the base to a depth of 3/8". The latch assembly basically holds the limb in the correct position when unstrung, as long as the locator screw isn't missing.  The latch is thin metal, and the release isn't design to hold the limb under extreme pressure.  The base of the latch cover merely holds the limb on the screw. The locator screw holds the limb in the pocket 3/8" and the latch keeps if from dropping out of position.  The bow can be shot with one of the screws missing from the latch, or even in the open position (not recommended).

Unless the limbs fit is too loose, or the locator screw is missing, the latch will work as designed. It is really a simple but genius design. Your very lucky the limb did not hit your head.
Ric O'Shay

Charter Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Before this gets too out of hand, specially with speculation towards the bow limb retention system and the great dealers that assist in marketing the bow, the reason of this post was the give kudos to Bear Archery in supplying the necessary parts to replace the broken catch lip FREE OF CHARGE. I understand the dealers purpose for only stocking the entire assembly. That's good business sense. Why stock individual parts when they are never called for. Even the Bear rep, when I told him the catch lip had broken, said "I've never heard of that." 

Please let me say that anything that "man" makes will wear out and eventually break or can be defective to begin with. Since the late 1970's, I've owned and shot many Bear TD bows. They have no take apart screws or bolts, no tapered washers to center the bolts and do not need an Allen wrench to put the limbs back together. All these items can and have been lost on hunting trips. As Hud said, it is a genius design by one of the great men of archery. Even the locator screws (present on all my Bear TD's) are positioned as to prevent the upper and lower limbs from being reversed. It is, in my opinion, one of the best TD systems ever designed.

The catch lip broke in half and the bow came apart. Bear is replacing the catch lip free of charge. KUDOS to Bear and all their great dealers and representatives. 

Ric O'Shay

Charter Member
Reply with quote  #15 
Well, gentlemen, United Parcel Service just knocked on my front door some 7 hours after my last post and left an envelop from Gainesville, FL. Low and behold, it is a new catch lip. Now, if my mechanical abilities will engage I will change out the broken one and replace it with a new one from Bear Archery.... at no charge.

BTW - I've sent an email to Big Jim's inquiring about the availability of the new 50th Anniversary riser. 

JDBERRY

Honoree Member
Reply with quote  #16 
Danny, are you sure you need that thing or are you trying to get a free Bow...piece by piece? Cant never tell with you Texans. ;^)    ...OE

Charter Member
Reply with quote  #17 
Mr. Berry - At least with your bows, I have NEVER had a failure to operate or "communicate" as they say in the movies.

Well, to my dismay, my mechanical abilities prevailed. The broken catch lip has been replaced thanks to a very small torch cleaner, a pair of needle nose pliers, a tack hammer, screwdriver and a paperclip. Gotta love those paper clips! Think I'll add a couple to my possibles bag. [biggrin]

JDBERRY

Honoree Member
Reply with quote  #18 
You stay safe and keep away from the careless, we need you around Dan.   ..OE

Charter Member
Reply with quote  #19 
Doing my best Mr. B! Of course there are no careless people in Medical Lake........are there?

JDBERRY

Honoree Member
Reply with quote  #20 
Sometimes I think the only careful ones are the Mule Deer.     ...OE

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.