photo f2fc6645-3553-483b-b64e-4c19058f6c05_zps121db233.jpg  photo 7B537578-F7C7-4F86-98B8-9F94E0644C33_zpsqirpypxs.jpg  photo jdberry_zpsea01d711.jpg  photo grizzlybroadheads_zps1m2s5rho.jpg  photo banner-kking-160-170_zps48e9d6a9.jpg  photo HolmMadeNewAd_09092014_zpsc4e4691d.jpg  photo truenortharrows_zpsi9ay4gwc.gif  photo 35A0AFC6-0F9E-412C-A64B-EBE54AF0479D_zpsmipyof8e.jpg  photo EEE5CA06-2368-4F2F-A920-0CA562579FE0_zpsm9lvvu1t.jpg  photo northernmist20bcard1_zpssaxw3n46.jpg  photo 072BD871-7553-4294-BBDD-E69370AD1F6A_zpsjismq5n7.jpg                                     photo AFF3B4E3-F518-4092-A4E6-65AE830AB2BE_zpsnuwaaten.jpg  photo f5d37de7-de84-47ad-b248-e8adfe84c5db_zps4oisluth.gif  photo 02c77249-7155-4785-a743-8faf8c694e7a_zpseaj9xlnz.jpg  photo B5D4E580-5A4C-4A25-AC73-D69CDBE82A69_zpsvvtli29v.jpg  photo Dave_shooting_bow_logo202_zpsuskt81vw.jpg  photo image_zps2rrhsrju.jpeg  photo sunsethill_zps551c0207.jpg  photo db77abad-c90f-4ee5-9e34-905fe0c0fd36_zpsleoiybdo.png  photo bigjim_zps76882839.jpg  photo howardhill_large_zps5fd2fcc7.jpg  photo IMG_5966_zpsgrbhwrgb.jpeg  photo Bearpaw_Products_Logo1_zps55d85f33.jpg  photo tradtech_zps697b00c1.jpg  photo a3c08d6f-f669-46b5-8b0c-1480a411cc78_zpsc853b3a6.gif  photo fairbow_zpsc278ec39.jpg  photo F5A4B354-1040-4D43-939F-28ED48F7E5B7_zpsws5ptsc8.jpg  photo coyote track 1_zpshipxn54s.png  photo DF07A98B-41BB-4024-BCF7-A4FCB543D40E_zpsoiduf1m2.png  photo the20footed20shaft_zpsudbyv3ab.jpg  photo blackeaglefinal_zpsfqgqqrcj.png  photo 94936CDE-4CF5-4181-B2F9-FECCA1FE886F_zpsy5nfpirv.jpg photo D49F4739-A11D-4F9D-9D50-4C3EE95E9555_zpswoqwk23o.jpg  photo BF4712C7-9EE6-460F-8380-4E7F08A65416_zpsmluzlgny.jpg  photo bivoucascreenshot_zpscfdgf0n0.jpg  photo 510CA748-680D-4178-8B50-1A4C7F7F895D_zps6b5pjjoc.gif
Traditional Archers | Bowhunters

Author   Comment  
Sparkitoff

Associate Member
Reply with quote  #1 
I am interested in a back quiver for hunting. I have seen several nice traditional quivers, primarily of leather construction from the sponsors on this site. What do you do to protect the quiver from the broadheads, and the broadheads from each other while carrying? How many arrows do most people carry for a day hunt? Thanks
James Donahue

Reply with quote  #2 
piece of carpet in the bottom
 4-5 broadheads
3-4 blunts 
sheath knife tied to  the quiver

thats it

Reply with quote  #3 
Never used one for hunting. I seem to maybe remember people putting something like a layer of rice in the bottom?
Tom M

Charter Member
Reply with quote  #4 
When I used a backquiver to hunt with I layered foam like from a sleeping mat and put it in bottom of quiver. I used two blade BH’s and pushed them into the foam. The foam covered about half of the heads length. I only carried 4 or 5 BH arrows. These days I prefer a side quiver.

Sun City, Az. by way of San Diego, Ca. Bear TD's Wes Wallace Royal LB, ILF risers and various limbs, Vintage Works 1962 Kodiak reproduction made to my specs

I hunt public land.
Old3Toe

Reply with quote  #5 
Same as Tom. Carpet works but a couple layers of closed cell foam (3/8” sleeping mat) hold the tips of 2-blade broad head orientation allowing the quiver to be “loaded” in draw sequence for no contact, no noise, and a smooth withdrawal. Field points and blunts, just put them in however, but a bit of foam works great for 2-blade broad heads.

“Take the good where you find it, be honest with yourself, and let the results be your guide.”

Hebrews 11:1

Jet Wolverine 69@28, Kramer Autumn 62@27, Jet Leopard 63@28, Howard Hill Wesley Special 57@27, Jet Warthog 69@28. Two Tracks Echo 60@27.

longcruise

Club Member
Reply with quote  #6 
I did this with my side quiver.  The thongs that hold each sheath would have to be longer but it could be done.           20190727_100916-800x600.jpg  20190727_100804-800x600.jpg 

Reply with quote  #7 
I just don't worry about it anymore.  My Sunset Hill Quiver has carpet in the bottom and I just drop my broadheads into it without a thought.  I pull them out and drop them back in all season long.  Never had an edge go bad from that treatment.
Selden Slider

Charter Member
Reply with quote  #8 
I use a piece of shearling on the bottom of my quivers.  Tried the foam and didn't like it.  The body of the quiver should bend around your back.  That bend is what holds the arrows in place.  Frank

Reply with quote  #9 
Although not as easy as just a piece of carpet, nor as potentially messy as rice, sawdust or other fillers, i cobbled together a sort of holder that goes into the bottom of my quiver.  It holds the broadheads in place, separates the blunts from the broadheads and quiets things down a lot.  I will find it and post a picture.  I use it all the time now for broadhead arrows.  I made it by folding in half strips of thinner scrap leather and gluing them, plus spacers, together, then adding that shield to keep the other heads away from the broadheads.

Charter Member Traditional Archery Society

I did too !

Madison, Wisconsin.   Public land hunter
chuckc

Reply with quote  #10 
20200622_082744.jpg yup, a little bit of a pain, but i believe it helps  keep arrows sharper and quieter.

I also tend to mount a floppy sheath on my bow so when it is down  and dirty time, i keep my "in use" arrow out of the back  quiver ready for use,  but still covered.    I don't carry a nocked broadhead until it is time.  I know,  i will miss out on those  " oh shit" quick shots, but I'm not good enough for those anyway.

I did too !

Shootalot

TAS Upgrade Member
Reply with quote  #11 
I just let the broadheads do as they want.  They seem to stay sharp quite a while and I resharpen as needed.  

Associate Member
Reply with quote  #12 
I usually carry 4 broadheads and 1-2 blunts with me for a hunt. Both of my back quivers have a double layer bottom in them so I don't worry about putting anything extra down there, and normally I just let the broadheads do what they want. I only use 2-blade heads and they stay sharp just fine but I carry a file for touch-ups.

On one of my hunts I did collect some birch bark to keep as emergency fire starter material and just loosely crumpled it up in the bottom of the quiver. It's still in there and does seem to keep the broadheads somewhat separated. 2 birds with one stone I suppose😉.
Sam

Reply with quote  #13 
I have some leather sheaths like the ones shown by longcruise as well as some of the plastic covers Bear used to sell. They work good for me. I carry a soft back quiver and 5 or 6 arrows. I used to carry arrows loosely, but the edges got beat up rather quickly.

Gray, GA

"The spirit of the bow dwells in the heart of all young men" - Geronimo

Hill Wesley Special (2, both 65#)
Hill Cheetah (2, one 55# and one 40#)
Hill Big 5 (50#)
NM Shelton (2, both 53#)
Deathwish Longbow (59#)
Archery Traditions Bamboo Longhunter (3, one 56#, one 60# and one 78#)

Sunset Hill "Nate"

Sponsor and Charter Member
Reply with quote  #14 
The classic answer given by Hill. Asked...  "How do you keep your broadheads sharp in a backquiver?"  his reply..."with a file, how do you keep yours sharp?"  yep, sums it up.

Larry Dean Brandes

Reply with quote  #15 
  I read once that Hill put oats in his quiver, but I never saw evidence of that on the films. If I were to use oats it would the Quaker instant variety, cinnamon and maple is my favorite. I put apples and maybe a sandwich in my back quiver.
chuckc

Reply with quote  #16 
Larry, a long time ago i used to drink a cup of apple juice for breakfast, while on stand, in that old apple tree along this trail.  Did  i tell you i am a sloppy drinker ?

Never had a deer climb up with me so if it did any good, i didn't notice it.

I did too !

EWill

Reply with quote  #17 
I do nothing special. Drop 'em in and go, touch up as needed.

I don't like to be high, low, left, or right.
WhistlingBadger

Associate Member
Reply with quote  #18 
Interesting discussion!  I use a side quiver, and I find that the arrows just banging around do get dull quickly, so I made little leather covers to put on them.

One issue no one mentioned is safety.  Maybe it isn't as big a deal with back quivers, but I hunt some pretty rough country, and about once or twice a season I seem to end up on my can on a steep slope.  That's the other reason I put the leather covers on my heads:  Every mm of leather it has to slice through is one mm less it will slice through my leg.

http://www.whistlingbadger.com
Fallhunt

Reply with quote  #19 

When old towels, washrags, dishrags, underwear, socks, etc. get holes or are thoroughly worn out, I launder them one last time followed by saving them in a box to be used as disposable wipes to clean up messes plus other uses.  I took a pile of these and cut them into various non-uniform strips about an inch to two inches wide of different lengths.  I stuff and pack down enough of these cloth scraps into the bottom of my Howard Hill Archery back quiver to be several inches deep.

The cloth scraps in the bottom of my Howard Hill Back quiver protect the leather bottom of my back quiver from being damaged by razor sharp broadheads.  These cloth scraps cushion and protect the sharpness of my broadheads.  The cloth scraps do a good job of effectively immobilizing any arrow movement and helps keep the arrows quiet while walking.

The cloth scraps are essentially free.  They are easy to dump out of the bottom of my back quiver and to repack back into the bottom of my back quiver.  I initially thought the frequent piercing of the cloth scraps would require their frequent replacement; however, they seem to last forever in that regard.  If the cloth scraps get wet, dirty, bloody, etc., I just throw them away and replace them with different cloth scraps.  Of the various cloth scraps, I have found that scraps from cut-up old Fruit-Of-The Loom underwear are my favorites for this purpose.

The layer of packed cloth scraps in the bottom of my back quiver works great for razor sharp broadheads, field points, and Saunders Screw-in Bludgeon Small Game Blunts.  The cloth scraps do not work well for Judo-points. 

I have been routinely stump shooting with a friend on his 20 rural acres for an entire day (usually 5 or 6 hours) each week for a number of months now.  I have been able to make a firsthand side-by-side comparison of several popular blunts.  In my opinion, Zwickey Judo Points are the very best blunts for quickly stopping and preventing the loss of arrows under all conditions.  But overall the Saunders Bludgeons have become my favorite.  They are easy to insert and remove from my back quiver.  On dry hard dirt areas and also on pine needle covered ground the Saunders Bludgeons will skip significantly farther than Zwickey Judo Points, but otherwise the Saunders Bludgeons are the all-around best for me.  So far I have not yet lost an arrow tipped with a Saunders Bludgeon.

Bear Montana Longbows 30#, 40#, & 50#
Lemonwood Self-Bow Longbow 30#
Ben Pearson Pony Longbow/Semi-Recurve 30# (Purchased New Summer 1966)
Ben Pearson Super Jet Recurve (All Fiberglass) 45# (New Jan. 1970)
Bear Super Kodiak Recurve 55#

PROUDLY an Irredeemable Deplorable

Hud

Reply with quote  #20 
Cut a piece of 1/2 foam, to fit in the bottom. If available use closed cell foam.  Cut and trim a cardboard pattern from the bottom of your quiver to use as an outline for cutting the foam. The foam keeps arrow noise down and broad heads from dulling. -
Sparkitoff

Associate Member
Reply with quote  #21 
All great ideas!
longcruise

Club Member
Reply with quote  #22 
How do you back quiver hunters deal with rain?  It seems like some of the solutions would hold water. 

Reply with quote  #23 
Nothing we do holds water.   Oh...i mean.  If its likely to rain i use my Safari Tough quiver with fletch cover.  But. A smaller plastic " garbage" bag, like for waste baskets would work well.

I did too !

Sam

Reply with quote  #24 
I will fudge on this question, because I don't hunt in the rain. I hunt almost totally on my small plot of land, so I just go back to the house till the weather improves. However, if at deer camp, I simply stay in camp and babysit the Scotch bottle. When I was young and did hunt in wet weather, I used a plastic bag to cover the fletching plus a product  for water proofing fletching and dry flies.

Gray, GA

"The spirit of the bow dwells in the heart of all young men" - Geronimo

Hill Wesley Special (2, both 65#)
Hill Cheetah (2, one 55# and one 40#)
Hill Big 5 (50#)
NM Shelton (2, both 53#)
Deathwish Longbow (59#)
Archery Traditions Bamboo Longhunter (3, one 56#, one 60# and one 78#)

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.