photo f2fc6645-3553-483b-b64e-4c19058f6c05_zps121db233.jpg  photo 7B537578-F7C7-4F86-98B8-9F94E0644C33_zpsqirpypxs.jpg  photo jdberry_zpsea01d711.jpg  photo grizzlybroadheads_zps1m2s5rho.jpg  photo banner-kking-160-170_zps48e9d6a9.jpg  photo HolmMadeNewAd_09092014_zpsc4e4691d.jpg  photo truenortharrows_zpsi9ay4gwc.gif  photo 35A0AFC6-0F9E-412C-A64B-EBE54AF0479D_zpsmipyof8e.jpg  photo EEE5CA06-2368-4F2F-A920-0CA562579FE0_zpsm9lvvu1t.jpg  photo northernmist20bcard1_zpssaxw3n46.jpg  photo 072BD871-7553-4294-BBDD-E69370AD1F6A_zpsjismq5n7.jpg                                     photo AFF3B4E3-F518-4092-A4E6-65AE830AB2BE_zpsnuwaaten.jpg  photo f5d37de7-de84-47ad-b248-e8adfe84c5db_zps4oisluth.gif  photo 02c77249-7155-4785-a743-8faf8c694e7a_zpseaj9xlnz.jpg  photo B5D4E580-5A4C-4A25-AC73-D69CDBE82A69_zpsvvtli29v.jpg  photo Dave_shooting_bow_logo202_zpsuskt81vw.jpg  photo image_zps2rrhsrju.jpeg  photo sunsethill_zps551c0207.jpg  photo db77abad-c90f-4ee5-9e34-905fe0c0fd36_zpsleoiybdo.png  photo bigjim_zps76882839.jpg  photo howardhill_large_zps5fd2fcc7.jpg  photo IMG_5966_zpsgrbhwrgb.jpeg  photo Bearpaw_Products_Logo1_zps55d85f33.jpg  photo tradtech_zps697b00c1.jpg  photo a3c08d6f-f669-46b5-8b0c-1480a411cc78_zpsc853b3a6.gif  photo fairbow_zpsc278ec39.jpg  photo F5A4B354-1040-4D43-939F-28ED48F7E5B7_zpsws5ptsc8.jpg  photo coyote track 1_zpshipxn54s.png  photo DF07A98B-41BB-4024-BCF7-A4FCB543D40E_zpsoiduf1m2.png  photo the20footed20shaft_zpsudbyv3ab.jpg  photo blackeaglefinal_zpsfqgqqrcj.png  photo 94936CDE-4CF5-4181-B2F9-FECCA1FE886F_zpsy5nfpirv.jpg photo D49F4739-A11D-4F9D-9D50-4C3EE95E9555_zpswoqwk23o.jpg  photo BF4712C7-9EE6-460F-8380-4E7F08A65416_zpsmluzlgny.jpg  photo bivoucascreenshot_zpscfdgf0n0.jpg  photo 510CA748-680D-4178-8B50-1A4C7F7F895D_zps6b5pjjoc.gif
Traditional Archers | Bowhunters

Author   Comment  
Old Sailor

Charter Member
Reply with quote  #1 
A few people have expressed an interest in seeing my arrow doweler build-a-long so here it is.

I built mine with a few pieces of oak salvaged from an old shipping pallet.

For those of you that live in hardwood country you can probably find
dec 5 001.JPG   2x stock.

JD Berry Morning Star 54#@28, Northern Mist Classic 54#@28Sovereign Ballistik 60#28, Howatt Hunter 55#@28, Ben Pearson Mustang 46#@28

"But God demonstrates His own love towards us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us."  Romans 5:8

"The problem is not guns, It's hearts without God, Homes without discipline, Schools without prayer, and Courtrooms without justice" ; unknown.

Durango, Colorado
Public Land Hunter
Old Sailor

Charter Member
Reply with quote  #2 
After surfacing and truing up your pieces glue them into a block. If you don't have power tools for this a hand plane and hand saws will work, just more time and effort.

dec 6 001.JPG 

JD Berry Morning Star 54#@28, Northern Mist Classic 54#@28Sovereign Ballistik 60#28, Howatt Hunter 55#@28, Ben Pearson Mustang 46#@28

"But God demonstrates His own love towards us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us."  Romans 5:8

"The problem is not guns, It's hearts without God, Homes without discipline, Schools without prayer, and Courtrooms without justice" ; unknown.

Durango, Colorado
Public Land Hunter
Old Sailor

Charter Member
Reply with quote  #3 
After the glue sets up true up you block making sure that the top surface is exactly perpendicular to the sides.

Make your block approx 6" x 2 3/4 x 1 3/4.

dec 6 003.JPG 

Durango, Colorado
Public Land Hunter
Old Sailor

Charter Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Drill a hole the size of the arrow shaft you want through the block. Drill it about 2" from the end and 3/4 down from the top.

I need shafts to spine between 70 to 85 dec 6 006.JPG  # so I go large at 23/64.

Important, this hole needs to be exactly parallel with the top surface of the block so if you don't have a drill press then use a guide block with a hand drill. Don't just eyeball it.

Durango, Colorado
Public Land Hunter
Old Sailor

Charter Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Now we want to taper all but the last inch of this hole.

Your hole needs to taper from your shaft size up to a little larger than the diagonal of you square shaft blanks you will use. Mine is 9/16"

The easiest, of course, is with a tapered reamer. This is what I will use on this block. On my first I step drilled as most of you will probably do.

Your taper will be the width of your block minus 1". Divide this length by the number of drills ( 64th or 32th) you have between your shaft size and the opening size you need and that will be the amount you will shorten each successive hole as you step drill.

With a drill press use the depth stop with a hand drill put tape on the bit.

64th will give a smoother taper but 32nd will work. You can clean it up with a round file.

If you don't have a drill big enough for your opening, go as large as you have and then use a round file to enlarge it. It would be hard to enlarge a hole from 3/8 so work up to a 1/2" bit if possible. Be careful to keep the hole as round as possible.

dec 6 007.JPG 

Durango, Colorado
Public Land Hunter
Old Sailor

Charter Member
Reply with quote  #6 
You will notice there are 2 holes in the picture.  That is a  mess up on my part.  I was thinking about which end would work best on my bench vice without thinking about the rotational direction of a power drill.  The correct hole will be on the left end of your block. Now we are ready to rabbit out part of the block.

The rabbit extends from the top center of the exit shaft size hole to the end of the block.

The depth of the rabbit should just extend into the hole 1/32".

I used a stacked dado set on a table saw and sneak up on the depth a little at a time. I got in a hurry and really botched the job. It's hard to support the block while you dado to the end and you can see in the picture I didn't do a very good job.  Its not pretty but it won't affect the way it works.

This could be done on a bandsaw, with a router, or by hand. If you handsaw it be sure to use some guide blocks to keep your cuts accurate.

dec 6 008.JPG 

Durango, Colorado
Public Land Hunter
Old Sailor

Charter Member
Reply with quote  #7 
After you cut the dado. Glue a thin strip at a slight angle to support the edge of the plane iron. I just eyeballed the angle while looking at the radius on the plane iron.

Please ingore the extra hole and the awfull rabbit job. Really I normally do much better work than this.

Something has to keep me humble.

dec 6 010.JPG 

Durango, Colorado
Public Land Hunter
Old Sailor

Charter Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Now the plane iron. I picked up this block plane iron at Home Depot for about $4.

You will need to grind a slight radius (about 12" radius or so) to the cutting edge. Then grind in a new bevel, flatten the back and hone the edge very, very sharp.

If you are going to dowel tough springy wood like Doug Fir then it needs to be extremely sharp.

I honed mine down to 1500 grit and it still could have been sharper. Have to work on it some more.

dec 6 002.JPG 

Durango, Colorado
Public Land Hunter
Old Sailor

Charter Member
Reply with quote  #9 
After the glue dries clean up your block and mount your plane iron after it is honed razor sharp.

Mount it with a screw and large washer so it is adjustable fore and aft. After you get it adjusted to give you the correct diameter shaft you can add another screw to lock it in place.

dec 7 002.JPG 

Durango, Colorado
Public Land Hunter
Old Sailor

Charter Member
Reply with quote  #10 

You will have to play around with it and keep adjusting the iron fore and aft to get the shaft size just right.

Holding your drill and shaft as straight in line as possible will get you a better shaft.

I can already see improvements I want to make. I think I will add a 3/4" piece to the front with a parallel hole to help keep the shaft straight as it enters the tapered hole.

Any questions post or pm me. Have fun and make a lot of shafts.

Now the hard part starts.........finding good straight grained boards.

Did I say RAZOR SHARP? Believe me!

dec 7 003.JPG 

Durango, Colorado
Public Land Hunter
Green

Charter Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Nice jig......thanks for the build along!

ASL and Wood Arrow Addict
Central Texas
Charter Member Traditional Archery Society

SwampGypsy

Reply with quote  #12 
cool idea
Mark

Charter Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Thanks i think ihave a new project. Now some time to find.

Associate Member
Reply with quote  #14 
I really like your idea,  will give it a go. Thank you.
Steve Graf

Reply with quote  #15 
Thanks for sharing!  If I didn't have a varitas dowel maker (given to me), I'd be working on that.
Deno

Charter Member
Reply with quote  #16 
Great build along Paul   ðŸ‘ðŸ‘

Deno

Howard Hill Wesley Special 70#
Howard Hill Big 5  65#
Jerry Hill Stalker Deluxe  60#
Jerry Hill Wildcat ll 50#

Northern New Jersey
longcruise

Club Member
Reply with quote  #17 
i use a veritas single diameter doweler and get good results but what I like about this method is that it can be adjusted to different shaft diameters and eliminates the reduction step. 
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.