photo f2fc6645-3553-483b-b64e-4c19058f6c05_zps121db233.jpg  photo 7B537578-F7C7-4F86-98B8-9F94E0644C33_zpsqirpypxs.jpg  photo jdberry_zpsea01d711.jpg  photo grizzlybroadheads_zps1m2s5rho.jpg  photo banner-kking-160-170_zps48e9d6a9.jpg  photo HolmMadeNewAd_09092014_zpsc4e4691d.jpg  photo truenortharrows_zpsi9ay4gwc.gif  photo 35A0AFC6-0F9E-412C-A64B-EBE54AF0479D_zpsmipyof8e.jpg  photo EEE5CA06-2368-4F2F-A920-0CA562579FE0_zpsm9lvvu1t.jpg  photo northernmist20bcard1_zpssaxw3n46.jpg  photo 072BD871-7553-4294-BBDD-E69370AD1F6A_zpsjismq5n7.jpg                                     photo AFF3B4E3-F518-4092-A4E6-65AE830AB2BE_zpsnuwaaten.jpg  photo f5d37de7-de84-47ad-b248-e8adfe84c5db_zps4oisluth.gif  photo 02c77249-7155-4785-a743-8faf8c694e7a_zpseaj9xlnz.jpg  photo B5D4E580-5A4C-4A25-AC73-D69CDBE82A69_zpsvvtli29v.jpg  photo Dave_shooting_bow_logo202_zpsuskt81vw.jpg  photo image_zps2rrhsrju.jpeg  photo sunsethill_zps551c0207.jpg  photo db77abad-c90f-4ee5-9e34-905fe0c0fd36_zpsleoiybdo.png  photo bigjim_zps76882839.jpg  photo howardhill_large_zps5fd2fcc7.jpg  photo IMG_5966_zpsgrbhwrgb.jpeg  photo Bearpaw_Products_Logo1_zps55d85f33.jpg  photo tradtech_zps697b00c1.jpg  photo a3c08d6f-f669-46b5-8b0c-1480a411cc78_zpsc853b3a6.gif  photo fairbow_zpsc278ec39.jpg  photo F5A4B354-1040-4D43-939F-28ED48F7E5B7_zpsws5ptsc8.jpg  photo coyote track 1_zpshipxn54s.png  photo DF07A98B-41BB-4024-BCF7-A4FCB543D40E_zpsoiduf1m2.png  photo the20footed20shaft_zpsudbyv3ab.jpg  photo blackeaglefinal_zpsfqgqqrcj.png  photo 94936CDE-4CF5-4181-B2F9-FECCA1FE886F_zpsy5nfpirv.jpg photo D49F4739-A11D-4F9D-9D50-4C3EE95E9555_zpswoqwk23o.jpg  photo BF4712C7-9EE6-460F-8380-4E7F08A65416_zpsmluzlgny.jpg  photo bivoucascreenshot_zpscfdgf0n0.jpg  photo 510CA748-680D-4178-8B50-1A4C7F7F895D_zps6b5pjjoc.gif
Traditional Archers | Bowhunters

Author   Comment  
Sunset Hill "Nate"

Sponsor and Charter Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Fellow TSA'rs....

I've been hearing and reading around the forums that I only build bows for my friends, buddies, or past customers. Please hear me....

I build longbows for serious like-minded longbowmen such as myself. I am too busy with my profession in the glass business to build bows for every person who gets enamored with the longbow and wants to try one, or those who want to be able to buy many of my bows. I have to draw a line somewhere and I choose to build for the serious Longbow shooters and when my waiting list is full, pass along to other bowyers those who inquire about my bows. It so happens that many of my more recent customers in the past 5 years are also those with whom I've struck up a friendship through TAS and they had the patience to wait for a bow or found a used one that I may have reworked to fit them better. I haven't been playing partiality, but it may seem so when this group gets vocal. My records show that in the past three years, only 20% of my longbow customers were former customers or previous friends of any kind.

We develop friendships as we interact on forums such as these or buy and sell goods to people who enjoy this sport as we do. So it's inevitable that it would appear that someone "is only building bows for their friends"...when in reality, they became friends because of the bowmaking interaction. This is my situation. I just wanted to clarify this matter and say that someday, I may be building a bow for you, as a friend.
By the way....it's not that bad to wait. I've had guys tell me they can't wait that long (2years ) and they don't get on my list...and five or six years later they're still saying the same thing. Such is life...😉

Charter Member Traditional Archery Society
Shick

Charter Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Nate, sooner or later  I figured you would have to make a comment and express your thoughts on some of the 'Sunset Hill' threads.  I've seen it in the past regardless of who you are, a bow builder, track star, etc.  A few remarks are made in favor of what some one does.  It starts sounding as if the 'subject' is 'holier than thou'.  Pretty soon, there are some 'negative' remarks' by people getting a little jealous.  Meanwhile the 'subject' has never made a comment on the thread but starts appearing to be the bad guy.  In this case, it's you and bow building.  Friends have a way of 'tooting our horn' and don't realize that they are starting to build a little controversy.  It all starts off innocent enough but it gets a little out of hand because of some narrow minded people.  It has gotten to the point where you have to answer and defend yourself.  I don't know you that well, but enough to say that your building bows is truly out of passion, and not a business like your glass works.  Sorry that you had to step up and explain yourself, but thanks for doing so.
regards
Shick
longbowpaul

Reply with quote  #3 
Its in a way like the old story of a teacher whispering a little story to a student on one side of the classroom
and by the time it reaches the other side it has completely changed. I have been on another bowyers list for 
over a year and I am ok with that. We still talk often, as a result have become friends from a distance, and
I have learned a lot from him. In my case this wait has been great. We live in a world wear patience is rare,
and "the me first" attitude is bubbling to the top. Anyhow, I see where you are comming from Nate. Myself,
and a lot of others on here really enjoy and look forwards to your posts. 

OrionII

Reply with quote  #4 
Thanks for the clarification.  Good to know.  Good to know, too, that a lot of folks really prize your bows.[thumb][thumb]
alex123

TAS Upgrade Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Just to add that I don't know Nate personally and so cannot say he is my friend....

Yet, he happily refinished a bow for me, very quickly and to an exceptional standard...Also, at a very reasonable price.

Mine was also not an easy request, since I live in Europe, but he was happy to deal with me despite that.
Cheers
Alex
Jack Skinner

TAS Upgrade Member
Reply with quote  #6 
My Mom used to say "If you are going to wine you can go without". Good for you keep doing it your way.

Self Bows, OE's; Heritage, Vixen, Misty Dawn, Heritage II x 2 "The Twins", North Star x 2 Crown Jewel and Cousin It, 7 Lakes SF Carolina Night, Miller Sage, Ramer, Schulz Grandpa, Sunset Hill, Shelton

Cheyenne WY
Red Beard

Reply with quote  #7 
Don’t let the inter web get to ya brother

With the lovers there must be the haters,,yin and yang,,it’s inevitable
Human nature to not like or bad mouth something you can’t obtain is natural and amplified in modern times by the web

I’ve owned many ASL’s and have been and know a lot of good people in our community for along time
Even folks other folks don’t like 🙃
You will always have the,,,Keith,Oconner arguments,(inside joke)

I’ll say this,,,,if I want something I’ve always found away to get it,,,,job,women,trucks,motorcycles,guitars,Longbows,,etc etc
With that there are prices to pay and hoops to jump thru whether it’s money or wait time or what have you,,,,if you want it you do what you gotta do to get it
With that for me also comes the real world experience and the self got knowledge everyone should have in order the express an opinion on the given subject and tool whether it’s good or bad
Besides ignorance or a bad opinion gives you a reason to excell and prove others wrong or as a human find great enjoyment in the fact the haters don’t know what there missing or just don’t get it
That fact that any man will do it his way upsets some folks,,the fact that someone doesn’t change there style or opinions to make them happy really upsets some folks!!
And some people find enjoyment in that fact which is kinda demented in a way but that’s another store

I recently got a used Sunset Hill,,,I like it a lot and Nate’s been class act towards the info,story and what’s going to be done with her
But long before that he’s answered dumb questions about quivers and shooting and form etc etc,,like a fellow toxofilite shared his opinion like many on here on both sides of the fence
I understand totally if it’s bow building or leather work etc the man has a life to live,,like all of us,,and this is a passion not how food gets on the table
Soooo his responsibility is to family first and he’s up front and honest about it,,,he’s even overly pleasant about explaining it over and over
Hell boys this is America if you don’t like it or can’t wait exerciser our capitalistic society and go to someone else
I think an honest man that does the best job he can deserves my money and patience

Reply with quote  #8 
You're a good dude Nate. I wouldn't imagine any of us here would have any reason to think otherwise. I understand the need to "clear the air". Misinformation travels fast and rampant on the internet, as we all know.

And I can understand preferring to build a product for a person who you know will get the most satisfaction out of it, rather than build it for a person to try and then move it along for something else. Ain't nothing wrong with that. You take a lot of pride in your product, why wouldn't you want someone to have it that would share that same pride in owning and shooting it?

If my turn for a bow never comes up, that will be alright. I've got my quiver you built me and I'm proud to have it, and proud to say I bought it from a real good guy. Keep on keeping on Nate!
James Donahue

Reply with quote  #9 
Was lucky to have Nate refinish a Schulz personal bow  and reduce weight for me-he supplied a lot of information on that bow he gathered from John Schulz

He did not have to do that but apprecieated the hand written note  of the information he gathered- was nice to know the true history of that bow from the horses mouth
 was very pleasant to talk to  and had him build me a great back quiver  and later a back quiver for my brother

Great to know there are others out there that truly appreciate the ASL and its history,  that I carry in the woods with my bow each time

Reply with quote  #10 
I guess I’m probably not a “serious longbowman” because I don’t shoot Hill style bows.......BUT.........the way I see it, you can build bows for whoever you want to, whether that’s just for friends, or for every Tom, Dick, and Harry that asks for one!!!!!

JMHO!!!!

Bisch

Primal Tech longbow 50#@29”
Primal Tech recurve 50#@29”
Sarrels Blueridge longbow 50#@29”
Sarrels Bobcatt TD recurve 50#@29.5"
Rob Green selfbow 47#@29”
Lonnie Dye composite 48#@29”

I hail from about 4hrs southwest of Tim King! [biggrin]
Sam

Reply with quote  #11 
The fact that somebody doesn't build bows full time and consequently has a long wait list is not a reason to criticize him. If you want one of his bows but are not willing to wait for it. simply shop elsewhere and don't complain. He is free to build at whatever rate his responsibilities allow. 

Gray, GA

"The spirit of the bow dwells in the heart of all young men" - Geronimo

Hill Wesley Special (2, both 65#)
Hill Cheetah (2, one 55# and one 40#)
Hill Big 5 (50#)
NM Shelton (2, both 53#)
Deathwish Longbow (59#)
Archery Traditions Bamboo Longhunter (3, one 56#, one 60# and one 78#)

fdp

Reply with quote  #12 
  You really don't need to provide anybody with an explanation.
silverarrow

Club Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Wow, I had no idea what I wrote would be taken out of context from what I meant to say. I am truly sorry that it came out that way. All I meant to say was that I thought they were very limited in availability. That’s it. Nothing else was intended.
Northern Mist American TD 51#
Howard Hill, The Big Five (Tim Meigs) 57#
Sovereign Sonoran 58#
Browning Wasp 52#
Ryan Gill Osage Hunter (self bow) 52#
Sunset Hill "Nate"

Sponsor and Charter Member
Reply with quote  #14 
No harm, no foul, Silver.... I've been hearing this for several years, in various ways and figured it was time to say something in a forum.

Charter Member Traditional Archery Society
silverarrow

Club Member
Reply with quote  #15 
Thanks Nate, I would have been very upset with myself, for not re-reading before I made that post.
Northern Mist American TD 51#
Howard Hill, The Big Five (Tim Meigs) 57#
Sovereign Sonoran 58#
Browning Wasp 52#
Ryan Gill Osage Hunter (self bow) 52#
BAPilot2

Club Member
Reply with quote  #16 
Agreed... no explanation needed! As my sister in law says, “You do you!”, meaning do what you have to do to make a living, make yourself happy, etc. etc.

I’m sure there are people who think that having to wait two years, or more, on a list for something is unreasonable and unacceptable. But good things come to those who wait. My brothers and I once waited 4 years, on a build list, in order to have 6 Shiloh Sharps Rifles built. We would occasionally call and speak to the company and even drove up to Big Timber, Montana, to tour their gunsmithing/rifle manufacturing facility. We finally received our rifles and the wait was, and still is, worth it.

Now I can’t say what makes a serious longbowman. I know I’ve been shooting the ASL, from various bowyers; Ekin, Schultz, Meigs, and Kramer, for about 4 years. I started shooting traditional archery using recurves about 7 years ago. In the past 4 years I have only occasionally gone back to my recurves. Heck, I’ve even broken out my old Mathews compound on a couple of occasions and shot a 3D course, but I digress. I’ve never ordered a custom bow. I’ve always bought my bows from people I’ve come across on the web.

Would I like to have a Sunset Hill bow? Sure I would! Would I be willing to wait 2 years or more to get one? Indeed I would! But I’ve not reached out to Nate nor made any attempt to befriend him. Our paths may cross in the future. And if they do then maybe we’ll strike up an acquaintance. Maybe not. Who knows? But I do know that it’s all good.

You do you Nate!
Theres no need to explain yourself.

Andrew

Arlington, Texas
Tom M

Charter Member
Reply with quote  #17 
I read that comment on another site and knew it was an “opinion” and not fact. As for waiting, I ordered a recurve from Vintage Works and was prepared to wait 2 years. Right now I am waiting for a refinish from Rich Lopez. Like yourself he has another life and I appreciate that. As for explaining yourself, maybe to those that don’t know you but we here understand.
Have a Merry Christmas

Sun City, Az. by way of San Diego, Ca. Bear TD's Wes Wallace Royal LB, ILF risers and various limbs, Vintage Works 1962 Kodiak reproduction made to my specs

I hunt public land.
James Calamaris

Club Member
Reply with quote  #18 
Nate, you shouldn’t need to explain yourself to anyone, I for one think your a straight up guy!

Club Member Traditional Archery Society

FITTER

Associate Member
Reply with quote  #19 
Mr Steen, Read this before church and just now able to post.. . I think its sad that some folks feel the need to say such ugly things like that. While I have never had the chance to get to know you its easy to tell your a good man and do some nice things for folks you know and dont know personally. Even I know the bow building is a part time thing for you. Your bows are top notch and always check the for sale ads hoping I can find one of your bows for sale..... maybe one of these days 😉😊 Craig
steelflight

Reply with quote  #20 
That's good to know nate thanks. How's the shoulder doing?

Reply with quote  #21 
Hello, you are the owner and sole proprietor of your business.  You can build for whomever you choose and when you choose.  Shouldn't matter what folks say or think about it.  Now granted I'll never probably own one your bows just because even the used ones are way expensive.  I'm retired and on a fixed income.  I'm old too and frankly don't have the patience to wait like i did when I was younger.  Then I tell myself how much better can your bow be than say my Miller Sage, my Van Norman Wild Fork or my JET longbows!  At least this is what I keep telling myself.  I don't think you have to apologize for the way you run your business.  You seem to have an excellent reputation for bow building and that is enough if you ask me.  keepem sharp
Draven

Club Member
Reply with quote  #22 
This makes a lot of sense and to have the right to choose customers comes with the skills, especially when is not your main job.

Reply with quote  #23 
I thought everyone knew you worked a full time day job by now.
Northern Mist Superior
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.